Scratch Build Logging Tug - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 12, 2016, 01:18 AM
Final alignment of shafts and nozzles, rudders in the process of being fabricated and trial fitting, 70 mm 4 blade prop shop drilled and tapped through the boss and blades tweaked with extra pitch. Stabiliser bar fitted between the nozzles and finally the prop guards measured and fitted
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2016, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain
Nice job. I like the cooling pipes under the hull.
Hi Sylvain, what do you mean by cooling pipes? Thanks Rob
Dec 12, 2016, 07:43 AM
Hello Robert,
These square tubing under the hull, aren't they cooling pipes?

Nice job on the nozzles!
Dec 12, 2016, 08:52 AM
Nice rudder detail ~
Last edited by Tim B.; Dec 20, 2016 at 07:26 AM.
Dec 12, 2016, 11:37 AM
Hi Sylvain, didn't know what it was, noticed them on some pictures and thought they've got to go on. I will be fitting working conventional cooling on this build. I thought it was extra hull bracing.

Thanks Tim loads to do still before they're finished.
Dec 14, 2016, 01:32 AM
Bit more of an update, Propshafts installed and secure, I have opted for submarine type shafts with stuffing boxes due to the fact they are positioned so low in the hull below the waterline and because they are stainless and will not need lubrication/ maintenance. The rudder detail is nearly complete, which will be the anodes post painting. Also the bow cutter thing has been cut and set into the hull.
Dec 14, 2016, 07:46 AM
Last edited by Tim B.; Dec 20, 2016 at 07:26 AM.
Dec 14, 2016, 08:09 AM
I like the flanges on the rudder shafts. Nice work Robert.
Dec 14, 2016, 08:38 AM
Nice work !
Dec 15, 2016, 01:14 AM
Thank you gents, much appreciated.
Dec 19, 2016, 07:45 AM
Little update before Christmas, the cutter on the bow is fully glassed in and the additional detail added. Props fitted and the completed rudders fitted into place. This also meant the shafts and couplings could finally come together with the gearboxes. I hate kinks in the drive train but I made an error earlier on in the build and with the angle I put the shaft at made me run out of hull. Never mind it still runs sweet, just a note should I ever build another. Attention then turned to the deck. I really liked the way the Ken Mackenzie had had the rear section of the bulwarks removed and replaced with bar. So as a compromised I cut some section out of the bulwarks and have replaced with bar. The pictures show how this was done. Until next time. Cheers Rob
Dec 19, 2016, 08:13 AM
Nice work again Robert. The nozzle/rudder assembly look really strong!
Dec 19, 2016, 08:28 AM

Work well shown

Great detail work.
Last edited by Tim B.; Dec 20, 2016 at 07:27 AM.
Dec 19, 2016, 12:57 PM

Rob,

If you had used a "socket and dogbone" (like Dumas and Vac-u-tug) style universal, it would not have been a problem.
I don't understand, why they even "sell" the single universal, as it does not "float", and still transfers load from the motor to the shaft, adding wear to both!
Dec 19, 2016, 02:14 PM

Great details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert F
Bit more of an update, The rudder detail is nearly complete, which will be the anodes post painting.
The rudder couplings look particularly well done, are those real fasteners used between the coupling halves ?
Last edited by Tim B.; Dec 20, 2016 at 07:27 AM.