Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 23, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thread OP

Glue Test Results- More results on posts #22 #34. Summary on #35. Epp on #138.

Here are the results of trying several types of glues. The materials are 1/4" x 1/4" 1" pieces of balsa and gray unsanded Depron. I used enough glue so that it squished out all around the balsa. I then placed a sanding block and weight on the glued blocks for 24 hours. From top to bottom, the glues and results are:

1. Probond polurethane - strong bond across 2/3 of joint. No adhesion in 1/3 of joint.
2. UHU Creative for foam - Good joint, but pulled up very thin layer of foam.
3. Thin CA - Stongest joint, but like #1, had no adhesion in part of the joint area. I think medium CA would have worked better.
4. Weldbond - Very weak joint. No adhesion to foam.
5. Sig sigment airplane glue - ate a hole in the foam.
6. Titebond wood glue - like #4, no adhesion.

Results:

CA stuck the best, followed by Probond and then UHU. Weldbond and Titebond, both aliphatic glues, had very poor joint strength. I will try a few other glues, including epoxy, and post the results tomorrow.
Last edited by rcmann; Feb 01, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2004, 09:15 AM
I've been using Gorilla Glue with no issues with Bluecor. You get about a 15 minute working time, and the bond is very strong.
Sep 23, 2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your effort, we all want the best glue, but who takes the time to test? YOU! Thanks again!
Sep 23, 2004, 12:07 PM
Interesting test. How about trying it with 2 pieces of unsanded depron. Is UHU POR the UK version of Creative? I may try that test later with UHU POR..
Sep 23, 2004, 12:13 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
You may also want to try various hot melt glues with/in your controlled group. It has always stuck on very well for me.
Sep 23, 2004, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
I think UHU POR is the same glue, yellow and green tube. All the glues stuck to balsa. It is the adhesion to Depron I am experimenting with. One could assume that the adhesion to the Depron sheet would come out the same whether using either a balsa or Depron block.
Sep 23, 2004, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Tomorrow, I'll have the results for Loctite, epoxy, wallpaper seam adhesive, RC56, regular contact cement, silicone and 3M77.
Sep 23, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hmm Would the uhu stuff be a good sub for 3m77? Gotta get this kit put together soon. But it's nice just knowing it's all there waiting
Sep 23, 2004, 12:56 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
im supprised you dident use gorilla glue in the test.
Sep 23, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
The 3M77 spray is good for large areas. It would be hard to spread the UHU glue over a large area plus it would add a lot of weight.
Sep 23, 2004, 01:00 PM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
why not include hot glue ????
Sep 23, 2004, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
I don't have any gorilla glue. I assumed it was a polyurethane glue, like Probond, and would therefor have similar results.

I don't have a low temperature glue gun. I may have to get one.
Sep 23, 2004, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmann
The 3M77 spray is good for large areas. It would be hard to spread the UHU glue over a large area plus it would add a lot of weight.
It would be for using on the folding leading edge on Hell Raiser wings.
Sep 23, 2004, 03:19 PM
Recently someone posted on the use of cellulose thinner for gluing foam pieces together (no balsa involved). Said that joints were good and pure foam after process. I've lost the post and can't find it via search. Anyone have any comments about this approach???
Thanks!
Sep 23, 2004, 08:07 PM
Fly
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Great investigation!

Regarding hot melt, the craft stores around here have them with a few sticks of glue for about $3! Note that there are high temp and low temp guns and glue. The high temp will melt many of these foams, and the low temp seems to work well enough. I think Harbor Freight has a high/low switchable gun for under $5.

Next question. When using the contact type glues (Welbond and UHU), did you apply a thin coat to both sides, let them dry for 10-15 minutes, and then put them together? I know that Welbond is far stronger if left to dry first.

-- Alan

Quick Reply