Nov 27, 2016, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Thunder Stormer

Hi All,

Well now that winter will be setting in here soon in the Midwest, I guess it is time for me scratch build one of my favorite Classic Pattern Planes. The Thunder Stormer by Doug Spreng from a RCM September 1966 build .

It is going to be a little on the rough side trying to get the measurements correct as I only have a photo copy of the plans to go by. So it is going to be a lot of "That looks about right" building but generally I have the basic wingspan and fuse sizes to go by.

I hope the wife stays away from the shop as the balsa dust will be flying very soon. So wish me luck with this project and I will be posting the build as I progress.

Ron
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2016, 01:26 PM
Fun build for sure. Can you tell the engine used from your plans?

Mike
Nov 27, 2016, 01:47 PM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Can you tell the engine used from your plans?

Mike
Mike, it looks like a Veco 61 from here.
Last edited by Dave Swanson; Nov 27, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
Nov 27, 2016, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLIKES RC
Hi All,

It is going to be a little on the rough side trying to get the measurements correct as I only have a photo copy of the plans to go by. So it is going to be a lot of "That looks about right" building but generally I have the basic wingspan and fuse sizes to go by.

Ron
Ron, you can buy the full size plan from AMA. They have the RCM plans now. Plan # 31033
Nov 27, 2016, 02:22 PM
Or just download it from the free RCM plans thread here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4812

Mark
Nov 27, 2016, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
Mike, it looks like a Veco 61 from here.
I downloaded the plan and I believe you are correct. I still have a couple of them. They don't have a lot of power compared to later engines but they run really well.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 27, 2016 at 04:30 PM.
Nov 27, 2016, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I still have a couple of them. They don't have a lot of power compared to later engines but the run really well.

Mike
I only have one and it's a nice one. NIB and just back from CF Lee Mfg. for the PDP treatment so it should run pretty strong.

Nov 27, 2016, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I only have one and it's a nice one. NIB and just back from CF Lee Mfg. for the PDP treatment so it should run pretty strong.
Very nice Dave. I have a lot of happy hours punching holes in the sky with the Veco 61 providing power. Mine are the earlier model updated with the new piston, sleeve and head from Lee. The upper part of the sleeve is exposed because the new case covered that area.

I bought them before we had a muffler rule at our field. Sounded sweet with the open exhaust!

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 27, 2016 at 04:47 PM.
Nov 27, 2016, 10:21 PM
Subscribed. Should be fun to watch this winter.
Nov 28, 2016, 03:51 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
Doug Speng achieved great success with the Thunder Stormer at 1967 World Championships RC1/F3A:

"1966: Won a place on the AMA international team using his Thunderstormer model; placed third in Corsica at the international competition"

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...DougCarder.pdf

Any photos of Doug Speng with his Thunder Stormer at WC 1967?

/Bo
Nov 28, 2016, 04:55 AM
The TLR method works great Ron, because you usually only measure once! Nice build, I'll be watching. See you over the winter I'm sure.
Mark
Nov 28, 2016, 05:28 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Quote:
"1966: Won a place on the AMA international team using his Thunderstormer model
/Bo,

That is correct but at the 1967 World Champs Doug flew his Twister not the Thunderstormer and he placed 4th not 3rd

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Nov 28, 2016 at 08:38 AM.
Nov 28, 2016, 08:01 AM
Brighto?
Little airplanes with big motors. My Veco engines are on my list of things I'm taking into the next life.
Nov 28, 2016, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
Hi,
Doug Speng achieved great success with the Thunder Stormer at 1967 World Championships RC1/F3A:

"1966: Won a place on the AMA international team using his Thunderstormer model; placed third in Corsica at the international competition"

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...DougCarder.pdf

Any photos of Doug Speng with his Thunder Stormer at WC 1967?

/Bo
It is interesting to read about folks like Doug and how much personal and financial risk they took to create RC products for us. At the time, as an end user it was just so fantastic to have a new advanced radio system and I don't recall giving any thought to how much risk was taken to create it.

Back then the older guys in our club were buying the brand new Mico-Avionics radios costing more than a month’s pay for me. They were far out of reach for me, so I happily flew with my Controlaire GG system until I could save $299 for a PCS system. I believe the $300 would be about $2,300 in todays money.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
Nov 28, 2016, 05:30 PM
Thread OP

Tentative Build T Stormer

Thanks for all the comments guys, it is really appreciated. I can use the plans I have with no problem with the TLAR method, but it is good to know the plans are available from the AMA. It is a Veco 61 listed on the plans.

I was thinking I could use either a OS Max 46 or 55 for power. Correct me if I am wrong but the power ratio of today's engines exceeds the power ratio of engines in those days . Additionally taken into considerations the better selections of props available these days. I was think also about a piped engine, but I wanted to stay as original as possible. The nose area is rather small and narrow to install one of today's 60's. The one change I intend to make is a servo in each wing panel for the ailerons.

I included a picture of Doug and the T Stormer from the RCM magazine. Dose anyone know what color scheme he used ? I would like to duplicate it but with monokote,because I can't paint in the shop.

Quick Reply