Nov 26, 2016, 03:58 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Choice of 2 .40 cu.in. two stroke glow plug engines.

I have been offered a choice of two glow plug engines both .40 cu. in.
They are both new in the box, never been run. I need one to fit into a trainer that I have been given to get practice flying power planes, as I have been flying gliders only for a long time.
I would like some suggestions for the following questions please:

1. Which one should I choose? They are both cheap ($40 each). If they are both good engines, I might still take both.

2. What fuel should I use? 5% Castor oil or all synthetic?

3. Is a 10 x 6 propeller suitable for this size?

Any other further information would be welcome. I have not had a glow plug engine for over 50 years!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2016, 04:46 PM
The runway used to be longer
You forgot to say which engines.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:22 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
You forgot to say which engines.
Hah! How silly of me, sorry. I will try again.

One is a LEO brand, probably Chinese, but does not say on the box.
The other is a Magnum. Made in Taiwan.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:37 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Can't comment on the LEO, but I have a Magnum XL61 that I've been very happy with. Magnum has really upped their game in the last decade or so.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:42 PM
Closed Account
Magnum in a second.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:56 PM
1. Probably Magnum but I've had no experience with either.

2. A fuel with the most castor you can find, up to 100% is quite OK . Also the fuel with the least amount of nitro, 0% is more than adequate .

3. A 10x6 prop would be OK but for learning an 11x4 would be better, slows the model quite a bit.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:57 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies. I thought that the Magnum would be preferred from the little experience that I have. I will wait for a few more comments though; there is no rush with this.
The LEO is the heavier. I might weight both later on and see which one balances the model best with less ballast too.
Nov 27, 2016, 09:28 AM
The runway used to be longer
I'd have trouble turning down either engine NIB for $40 which is about the same in $CAD.

The one on the left though(LEO) looks like it has ball bearings instead of plain bearings which I like better.

I've only been in the glow engine game for a year though so you should probably listen to the other guys.
Nov 27, 2016, 03:39 PM
Max Tenet
mad mike, you are correct. I'm surprised no one else pointed this out. Not only is the Magnum a plain bearing engine, it is not schneurle ported either. The Leo is. The magnum gp models were put out to compete with the os fp line of cheaper engines and as such are very docile and not too powerful. Fine for trainers. The Leo is a copy of the Os frs .40 which was one of the most successful engines of all time. It should be significantly more powerful.

Max
Nov 27, 2016, 04:16 PM
The Leo was an OS runner up back in the 80's. it is well made.
Nov 27, 2016, 05:02 PM
It looks like the Leo is a clone of the OS 40 SF and the Magnum is a clone of the OS FP 40, the OS 40 FSR had a 2 piece crankcase, I have run the OS engines, but not the clones. The Leo should have a lot more power than the Magnum, the usual complaint with clones is carbs, good luck with them, Jim.
Nov 27, 2016, 06:25 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomaster View Post
It looks like the Leo is a clone of the OS 40 SF and the Magnum is a clone of the OS FP 40, the OS 40 FSR had a 2 piece crankcase, I have run the OS engines, but not the clones. The Leo should have a lot more power than the Magnum, the usual complaint with clones is carbs, good luck with them, Jim.
It is... and what is more: the LEO piston/liner set is said to be a direct drop-in replacement for the OS SF40, and of true ABC construction.

It can be used to turn an Original OS SF40 into a true ABC engine.

Sometimes, HobbyKing has these piston/liner sets in stock for something like 30 dollar....
Nov 27, 2016, 06:57 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Get the LEO if he prices are the same. Both engines came out of the same factory but the LEO is a ball bearing engine. The Magnum will be a tad lighter but about 80% the power.

Mike
Nov 28, 2016, 12:56 AM
GET THEM BOTH ! If u stick with the hobby u will be wanting another engine shortly and if u dont $40 is not much of a hit . U can sell them later anyway . Cheers
Nov 28, 2016, 01:43 AM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tenet View Post
Not only is the Magnum a plain bearing engine, it is not schneurle ported either.

Max
some of the early thunder tiger clones were crossflow but AFAIK the magnum name has never been on anything but schnurle ported engines. all the GP line i've seen are schnurle ported with the old OS trick of rotating the sleeve ~45 deg to eliminate the need for circlips on the wrist pin.

Quick Reply