Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 01, 2018, 04:30 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank
If I want to fly this wing LOS only, can I simply buy the foam kit and install a Lemon stabilized receiver...or do I need some other or further stabilization in order for this kit to fly?

Also...is there any benefit to getting the grey V2 with PDB? Supposedly made of tougher fuselage material.
I think both V1 and V2 are EPP molded, so I don't think one is tougher than the other?? I fly my (V1) with no stabilization!! it flies great on 2200 3S, a 2306 400 kV motor and 5 X4.5 prop!! launches easy, and tracks true! (Video at post #644) and is plenty fast enough for me!! A Lemon stabilized Rx would be a fine addition!! a little "up" reflex on the elevens (about the thickness of the trailing edge) will save a lot of drama!! oh yeah if you don't fly with heavy FPV gear in the nose make sure you add enough weight (70g or more) to get the CG a little nose heavy at 125mm from the front!!
Last edited by NewZee; Jan 01, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 04:43 PM
Gravity is my enemy.....
Quote:
If I want to fly this wing LOS only, can I simply buy the foam kit and install a Lemon stabilized receiver...or do I need some other or further stabilization in order for this kit to fly?

Also...is there any benefit to getting the grey V2 with PDB? Supposedly made of tougher fuselage material.
I have the Black and my friend has the grey, they seem identical to me but there is a fairly firm consensus from those who have punished both that the grey is a little more Chuck Norris-ish and handles the beating better.
As far as equipment for LoS - all I have is a long range FrSky L9R, 5A BEC. I deliberately chose a BEC, ESC, VTX and Camera that can handle 5S directly.
It launches easy on half throttle (but then I am a Mode1 and can launchDLG style from my right side) and I don't have to throw hard.
The S800 is a smooth flier as long as you are in smooth air. Being so small makes it a bit twitchy in gusty/lumpy air which is why many choose the flight controller. I think it takes the excitement out of it when flying a rocket like this. I am absolutely going to build another one with the whole INAV auto-launch system, just because it looks so cool to recklessly ditch this thing in the air and watch it take over, lock into position and smoothly take to the sky.
Later for that though, I'm still adrenaline junking off this thing by Pilot Only control.

Remember in this sport, there are only a few rules, how you set up and build your aircraft is entirely an individual thing. The idea is to experiment (sometimes at great cost) and learn what does/doesn't work and what you enjoy. These forums are a massive wealth of information and a lot of learning is shared here. You can avoid the mistakes others have made and share your own triumphs and failures.
As a rule I normally start simple and build up from there, there is nothing more heart breaking and discouraging than spending many hours and dollars building a model and destroying it on the first launch, all because you didn't really know the model well. Get it in the air, find out it's handling, quirks, stall characteristics, launching and landing issues etc, then fill it with awesome and costly gadgets...
Have fun.
Last edited by 2fat2fly; Jan 01, 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Jan 01, 2018, 05:21 PM
Long Island, NY
^^^Outstanding, responses, fellas! OK...placed my order. Also got a HobbyStar 2205 Brushless Outrunner Motor 2300KV on RCJuice on sale (till midnight) for a measly $4.95. Looking forward to building this over the winter. 9 degrees here on Long Island ATM...so it's building, but no flying.

Have a GoPro I don't give two about, so that'll go in the nose for CG and in-flight video. Have a Mobius also, which is why I'm no longer a big fan of the GoPro.

@NewZee: Watching your video on YouBoob now. Beautiful field! You need to invite me up as a guest this summer!
Last edited by LawyerFrank; Jan 01, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Jan 01, 2018, 10:24 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
^^^Outstanding, responses, fellas! OK...placed my order. Also got a HobbyStar 2205 Brushless Outrunner Motor 2300KV on RCJuice on sale (till midnight) for a measly $4.95. Looking forward to building this over the winter. 9 degrees here on Long Island ATM...so it's building, but no flying.

Have a GoPro I don't give two about, so that'll go in the nose for CG and in-flight video. Have a Mobius also, which is why I'm no longer a big fan of the GoPro.

@NewZee: Watching your video on YouBoob now. Beautiful field! You need to invite me up as a guest this summer!
You're invited!!!.... That motor will work fine! If you are using a typical airplane ESC make sure the timing is set to "high" (those "quad" motors will run HOT if the timing is too low)!
Jan 03, 2018, 04:03 AM
Long Island, NY
My Sky Shadow shipped. Wonder how long it will actually take to arrive? I'm up to page 30 in this product thread and the more I read the more surprised I become at all the tweaks, tips, and variety of customization this platform is capable of successfully accommodating. Very creative color schemes too. Looking forward to its arrival.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:13 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
My Sky Shadow shipped. Wonder how long it will actually take to arrive? I'm up to page 30 in this product thread and the more I read the more surprised I become at all the tweaks, tips, and variety of customization this platform is capable of successfully accommodating. Very creative color schemes too. Looking forward to its arrival.
The S800 is a great model!! Very few complaints, the bay is a little tight if you want to cram in a 4S or a bunch of FPV, FC, Navigation gear etc. and it needs some weight in the nose, but for an inexpensive, tough, good looking, good flying wing she is hard to beat!!
Jan 03, 2018, 01:26 PM
Long Island, NY
After logging onto BangGood I see that it's going to be ~ 3 weeks before delivery for the grey V2 wing I ordered, and seeing as how it is such a fun and inexpensive item, I ordered a black one (also V2) from New Jersey, one state over. Should have it in a week. Motor should arrive in a couple of days. Have so many servos and props in my spare parts boxes I could probably make six of these!

Might make one over into an FPV setup...either way they'll each be outfitted for a different purpose. Might be interesting to see if there is any difference in material strength, too. Might even be fun to put the grey wings on the black fuselage and vice versa.
Jan 03, 2018, 03:32 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
After logging onto BangGood I see that it's going to be ~ 3 weeks before delivery for the grey V2 wing I ordered, and seeing as how it is such a fun and inexpensive item, I ordered a black one (also V2) from New Jersey, one state over. Should have it in a week. Motor should arrive in a couple of days. Have so many servos and props in my spare parts boxes I could probably make six of these!

Might make one over into an FPV setup...either way they'll each be outfitted for a different purpose. Might be interesting to see if there is any difference in material strength, too. Might even be fun to put the grey wings on the black fuselage and vice versa.
Both of mine are the "Black" V1's got the second one as a "Kit" for just $29!! How could I say no!!?? lots of power options to make into a "Screamer" or a long distance "Cruiser"!! I seen em' run on 4" props with 3000 kV motors to 7" props on 1500 kV motor's! and everything in between!!!

Seems I'm always waiting for an order from Banggood to arrive!!! before the last one shows up a new one is placed!! typical 2 to 3 weeks, I just stay patient !! my stuff gets here eventually, and so far no issues!!
Jan 03, 2018, 05:56 PM
Gravity is my enemy.....
Quote:
That sounds like a great idea. Another thought, seeing as they can move out of sight rather fast, weigh the wings to make sure there is not a difference, if both the same put one black and one grey for orientation. I find it hard at a distance to tell which way around it is.
I would even like to try a mod with two together.... "X-Wing" style.
That might allow for extra equipment and even a second battery. Just have to make an angled joiner for the spars and custom engine mount to centre it.
This would fix my issue of breaking props on landing too!

Does anyone else fly with 6" 2 blade props?
Are you having issues with breaking props or damaging engine mount?
I am using a 6x4.5 carbon which has no flex at all. Gives me wicked speed but can dig in when landing.
I wish there was some way of putting braking on the ESC with alignment to be horizontal.
Has anybody ever seen a way to do this because I am breaking 1 prop roughly every 3 landings and tearing off the engine every 10.
I had to put six 3mm rod carbon pins through the outer holes in the engine mount plate into the back of the wing about 25mm deep.
I just put a blob of hotglue on the ends like nuts on a bolt so I can easily remove the engine mount to replace the engine (which I intend to do tonight - I am going to upgrade to the DYS Fire 2205 2300 6S)
Last edited by 2fat2fly; Jan 03, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:10 PM
Hey Guys! Glad to be joining you guys with the S800 Wings! I'm still building mine, and I'm a sorta a noob.
I'm hoping some of you guys have experience using the included flight board/stabilizer that comes with the S800.

My issue is that I can't get the elevons programmed with my transmitter (DX7s). If I take the FC (lack of a better word) out of the equation and just run it with my receiver, (AR8000), it works just fine. I get full travel and i can set it up so they work how they should. But, if I run through the FC, then I end up with.. crap. I can't ever get them to move how they are supposed to. They both only move when 1 axis is used. So, A moves when i go up and down, and B moves when I go left to right. They aren't mixing at all. Although, on my transmitter, it shows that it's still sending the signal, and it worked without the FC with the same setup.

I'll provide any information that you guys need if you have any ideas and need more info. Not sure what else to do. I can change it from 'Delta" to "V-tail" and get some moderate success, but it doesn't throw 1 of the servos as far, so it really isn't a solution.

On a side note, I have a spare SP Racing F3 FC from a quad that I could use if this one doesn't work. (Or i'll use nothing at all, but I'd like to!)

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jan 03, 2018, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmister
Hey Guys! Glad to be joining you guys with the S800 Wings! I'm still building mine, and I'm a sorta a noob.
I'm hoping some of you guys have experience using the included flight board/stabilizer that comes with the S800.

My issue is that I can't get the elevons programmed with my transmitter (DX7s). If I take the FC (lack of a better word) out of the equation and just run it with my receiver, (AR8000), it works just fine. I get full travel and i can set it up so they work how they should. But, if I run through the FC, then I end up with.. crap. I can't ever get them to move how they are supposed to. They both only move when 1 axis is used. So, A moves when i go up and down, and B moves when I go left to right. They aren't mixing at all. Although, on my transmitter, it shows that it's still sending the signal, and it worked without the FC with the same setup.

I'll provide any information that you guys need if you have any ideas and need more info. Not sure what else to do. I can change it from 'Delta" to "V-tail" and get some moderate success, but it doesn't throw 1 of the servos as far, so it really isn't a solution.

On a side note, I have a spare SP Racing F3 FC from a quad that I could use if this one doesn't work. (Or i'll use nothing at all, but I'd like to!)

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!
I'm waiting for mine to arrive so I haven't had a chance to mess around with the stabilizer in the 800 yet but it is probably just like all the other stabilizers I have used on other planes,. You have to set the plane up as a standard fixed wing plane on the DX7. Throttle, aileron, ruder, elevator. The stabilizer will handle all the mixing for you. At least that's the way it has worked with every stabilizer and FC I have ever used on fixed wings.

BTW don't forget to set up the dip switches on the S800's stabilizer as a flying wing.
Last edited by Rcoggins1; Jan 03, 2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: addition.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoggins1
I'm waiting for mine to arrive so I haven't had a chance to mess around with the stabilizer in the 800 yet but it is probably just like all the other stabilizers I have used on other planes,. You have to set the plane up as a standard fixed wing plane on the DX7. Throttle, aileron, ruder, elevator. The stabilizer will handle all the mixing for you. At least that's the way it has worked with every stabilizer and FC I have ever used on fixed wings.

BTW don't forget to set up the dip switches on the S800's stabilizer as a flying wing.
Alright Man. I'll check that out. I think now that you mention it, I mighta read that somewhere. I didn't think it meant don't setup it up as a elevon wing at all. But, I'll check it out, thank you so much for the response, I'll let you know how it goes. And as for the dip switches, I've definitely set it up as a delta wing, which is why I was surprised, and thought maybe the stabilizer was messed up.

Thanks again, i'll return and report!
Jan 04, 2018, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoggins1
You have to set the plane up as a standard fixed wing plane on the DX7. Throttle, aileron, ruder, elevator. The stabilizer will handle all the mixing for you. At least that's the way it has worked with every stabilizer and FC I have ever used on fixed wings.
Absolutely, on any transmitter not just DX7. Wing type set to 'normal'.
Jan 04, 2018, 12:13 PM
Gravity is my enemy.....
Picked up my DYS Fire 2205/2300kv 6S today.
You know that feeling as a kid you'd get when you see your Christmas presents under the tree, you can see your name on it, but you can't open it and play with it.............
Got to wait for some 6x3 Carbon props to arrive that I just ordered 5 mins ago.
Also have to source a 6S battery that will fit in the Reptile.
I have a voltage buck from Altronics that can take a supply of up to 35 volts down to whatever you like.
It measures 45mmx20mm
I will drop the Camera, VTX and BEC input voltage down to 12 volts for safety.
A fully charged 6S at 25.2V will definately kill those components.
Jan 04, 2018, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a blast 2fat2fly. I don't mean to backpeddle. But wanted to thank Rcoggins1 and Hannil for piping in and solving that issue for me. Obviously not an issue, just #noob-ness.

But thanks, it's working great now. Setting the TX to Normal wing did the trick.

I have another quick question for you guys. I picked up a set of servo cables, these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and they are HUGE! Not like too long, but they're legit thick. I'm thinking that it's probably too thick to get 4 cables plus then the servo cable in that same little rut cut in the wing. I am probably okay cutting out a bigger hole because that's what i did to get the receiver in anyways, but can you recommend or point me in the direction of some "normal" servo cables? I'd probably be okay building my own cables to, (as i bought like 20ft of servo cable, but i don't have any ends or the tool to punch them in, if there is one.

Anyways, simple question, put into too many words, but any advice yall have?

Thanks!

Quick Reply