Oct 03, 2017, 05:15 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
The counter rotating setup is probably ok? As is with just the hex drive?, but doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy I prefer it done right.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2017, 05:23 PM
Walked away from all landings

F7F - Newest Version has Counter Rotating Props

Well it seems that we have had a major upgrade to the FMS 1700 F7F that has only become apparent due to this thread's postings.

I received one of the new Silver versions of the F7F and noticed that a new page7 had been inserted into the manual. The new page discusses the counter rotating props, other portion of the manual (page 12) indicate the props turn clockwise, when viewed from the rear.

It sure seems strange that an upgrade like this has not received more attention.

I am curious to know if all of the first release F7F's in the dark blue livery do not have the counter rotating props and this change was only made on the last release, the Silver version?

I would not be surprised if the first prototypes made before the actual production models had significant changes, but not to have had some sort of FMS announcement of the counter rotating props I find frustrating.
Oct 03, 2017, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
Well it seems that we have had a major upgrade to the FMS 1700 F7F that has only become apparent due to this thread's postings.

I received one of the new Silver versions of the F7F and noticed that a new page7 had been inserted into the manual. The new page discusses the counter rotating props, other portion of the manual (page 12) indicate the props turn clockwise, when viewed from the rear.

It sure seems strange that an upgrade like this has not received more attention.

I am curious to know if all of the first release F7F's in the dark blue livery do not have the counter rotating props and this change was only made on the last release, the Silver version?

I would not be surprised if the first prototypes made before the actual production models had significant changes, but not to have had some sort of FMS announcement of the counter rotating props I find frustrating.
There was talk of this back when just Rich and I had the first two prototypes and they indicated they weren't going to do a counter rotating setup due to cost factors. Then shortly a while back just before the first Blue ones shipped ...we were told they were molding a set of counter rotating blades to be used with the existing prop hub. Both Rich and I were a bit surprised they had chosen to do this after we were both told earlier they weren't? In any case...I like the idea of being able to have them and the option of either or, but...We both recommended and emphasised that it should also have a reverse threaded Prop adapter and spinner to go with it to do it safely and correctly.

To the best of my knowledge? the first shipment (Blue) also were also sent with a set of counter rotating props? I know my friends that bought one (Blue) said they got a set of reverse pitch blades with theirs. FMS has since sent me and Rich a set of them. Though I've already firmly stated my position on the matter. If FMS doesn't make a reverse threaded prop adapter and spinner for them...them I'm going to have True-turn make me a set later for mine.
Oct 03, 2017, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon
There was talk of this back when just Rich and I had the first two prototypes and they indicated they weren't going to do a counter rotating setup due to cost factors. Then shortly a while back just before the first Blue ones shipped ...we were told they were molding a set of counter rotating blades to be used with the existing prop hub. Both Rich and I were a bit surprised they had chosen to do this after we were both told earlier they weren't? In any case...I like the idea of being able to have them and the option of either or, but...We both recommended and emphasised that it should also have a reverse threaded Prop adapter and spinner to go with it to do it safely and correctly.

To the best of my knowledge? the first shipment (Blue) also were also sent with a set of counter rotating props? I know my friends that bought one (Blue) said they got a set of reverse pitch blades with theirs. FMS has since sent me and Rich a set of them. Though I've already firmly stated my position on the matter. If FMS doesn't make a reverse threaded prop adapter and spinner for them...them I'm going to have True-turn make me a set later for mine.
Too bad then if FMS released the first production batch then and forgot to change their online manual for the plane, their must have been some confusion
Oct 03, 2017, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
Too bad then if FMS released the first production batch then and forgot to change their online manual for the plane, their must have been some confusion
No not bad at all. Actually looks like everybody is getting 4 sets of prop blades (2 normal rotation and 2 reverse rotation) that will give them the choice of how they may want to set it up? Not a bad deal if you ask me

I'm sure they will update the online manual soon.....they're busy folks at the moment
Oct 03, 2017, 08:46 PM
It is definitely counter rotating I just got it all set up.

I'm using the reverse and the standard props but I guess the talk is hopefully the Hub doesn't fly off in flight.
Oct 03, 2017, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowace

I'm using the reverse and the standard props but I guess the talk is hopefully the Hub doesn't fly off in flight.
My only worry is that the Spinner (which holds the prop on) doesn't comne loose, since it will be spinning at high RPM in a loosening direction. Hence the special need for a reverse threaded prop shaft and spinner...so they are always spinning in a "Tightening direction"
Oct 03, 2017, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon
My only worry is that the Spinner (which holds the prop on) doesn't comne loose, since it will be spinning at high RPM in a loosening direction. Hence the special need for a reverse threaded prop shaft and spinner...so they are always spinning in a "Tightening direction"
That is why I wondered if perhaps the loc-tite purple, especially made for aluminum, might be a remedy to consider.
Oct 03, 2017, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowace

FYI, I was informed that FMS did indeed contact Horizon Hobby that the first production run did in fact consist of the counter rotating props. So that answered my question if the Silver Edition was the first to receive the counter rotating props, and of course the answer is no, all production models came with the updated props. It was too late to update the manual though, Horizon has contacted FMS for the updated version.
Oct 03, 2017, 10:57 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
If the loctite comes in contact with plastic in any way, it will destroy said plastic. I would not want to risk it seeing that the spinner is plastic, and so is the blade hub. Something like foam tac, or even Elmers is a better option in my opinion.
Last edited by Cubcrazy; Oct 03, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
Oct 03, 2017, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
If the loctite comes in contact with plastic in any way, it will destroy said plastic. I would not want to risk it seeing that the spinner is plastic, and so is the blade hub. Something like foam tac, or even Elmers is a better option in my opinion.
The plastic spinner has a aluminum core which is threaded and is mounted on the prop adapter which is also aluminum.

Hence, only metal to metal contact, no contact with plastic at all.
Oct 03, 2017, 11:21 PM
Yeah. An aluminum insert inside a plastic housing. Not a risk I'm willing to take, but have at it if you wish.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Oct 03, 2017, 11:24 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
All you need is a speck of loctite , I see people put way to much on. Sometimes when I loctite , I put it on after the nut is tight. Then I put it on the front side of the nut and it winks into the threads . The flightline Tigercat doesnt have isuues with props coming off and there no reverse thread .
Oct 04, 2017, 12:03 AM
For all that want to use loctite, go right ahead. I choose not to.
For what it's worth. I've never had a reverse rotation prop come loose on many CR setups over the years never having used any adhesive compounds in the threads. One thing that makes a difference, is treating the throttle more like a full scale IC engine. Slamming the throttle up and down in a full scale airplane is not normal or good practice. Steady smooth movement means you won't be torque loading the prop hardware so abruptly. Many people treat electric throttle control like an on/off switch.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Oct 04, 2017, 07:14 AM
im waiting for the A3L from MRC.
im going to install it like Brandon did , Cut out the floor in the hatch and pit it on the plastic
carbon rod thingy. also im useing the lemon 10ch rx

Brandon, have you used your A3L yet on the silver one?

Quick Reply