Nov 25, 2016, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Weird esc behavior

Evening everyone! Earlier this day I decided to calibrate the esc's for my twin motor plane and I came across something I couldn't solve my self (not very experienced with esc's). After seperately calibrating two identical power systems the other one worked flawlessly whereas the other started to have problems while beeing turned on. The motor with propeller on wouldn't start spinning, it would just take a little jumps and sound weird until finally revving up. If you however help the motor a bit it would immediately start. After starting the motor acts just like it should. This behaviour doesn't occure when the propeller is detached. On its own the engine works very accurately.

Here's a small video demonstration
ESC Problem (1 min 9 sec)

The esc is a emax blheli 30amp one and the engine is sunnysky x2212 980kv

Please share your advice I'm all ears!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2016, 09:31 PM
One thing you might try is to advance the timing in speed controller of the one that's jittering.

Gord.
Nov 26, 2016, 12:14 AM
It looks like the brake is applied! Recheck all your settings, the brake could easily cause this issue.
I know you said everything was set exactly the same, but double check will verify its so. fwiw Doug B
Nov 26, 2016, 09:24 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Does the motor have trouble starting if you move the throttle a little further up. I notice that you are giving it very little throttle command. You may need to redo the throttle calibrations if the other ESC starts sooner.

Another thing to check is to make absolutely sure your connections are good between the motor and ESC. Jittering is a sign of bad connections. A little jittering and then starting is an indication of marginal connections.
Nov 26, 2016, 01:33 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
I'm with Mike here. More about connections/connectors
Motor stuttering? Won't run? Read before asking. - RCG

Prettig weekend Ron
Nov 26, 2016, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky
Does the motor have trouble starting if you move the throttle a little further up. I notice that you are giving it very little throttle command. You may need to redo the throttle calibrations if the other ESC starts sooner.

Another thing to check is to make absolutely sure your connections are good between the motor and ESC. Jittering is a sign of bad connections. A little jittering and then starting is an indication of marginal connections.
The motor continues it's behaviour and sometimes even stops completely when more throttle is applied. Checked the connections seems to be fine but I might still refo them, just in case.
Nov 26, 2016, 03:22 PM
Did you try to advance the timing in the ESC??
I had this happen on a VTO Pogo.
When I went to take off, it would just stutter like that then fall over. I advanced the timing and it was instant response.

Gord.
Nov 26, 2016, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
I re-did all the solderings and it still stuttered a bit so I restored factory settings on the esc and now it works flawlessly! Not really sure which setting was causing the stuttering might have been the brake or the starting force. Anyways thank you guys for helping out!
Nov 27, 2016, 07:10 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Glad to hear of your success. You may know this but all ESC's will stutter a few times at startup as the ESC "finds" the position of the rotor. This is normal.

Quick Reply