Another Jim Young Monocoupe 90A Build - RC Groups
Nov 25, 2016, 02:11 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Build Log

Another Jim Young Monocoupe 90A Build

Monocoupe 90A

I received my beta kit parts last Winter with the hopes of helping debug the "Coupe" along with Jim Young and Robert Throne....Well I was knee deep in my Mooney Mite build and didn't get to it till now.

I laminated the pieces for the fin, rudder, stab, and elevators last winter so cut some 1/8" sq balsa and framed up the tail feathers.

I plan to start the wings next and cut the flaps and ailerons bases out of 1/16 basswood.

I plan to use a Cobra 2820/12 970Kv motor along with a Castle 50 ICE for power.

I found a real nice example of a Monocoupe 90A on the Facebook Monocoupe Group and plan to model this dark red and cream example.
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Dec 03, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2016, 02:56 PM
Gravity sucks.
Sweet, love the classic color scheme!
Nov 25, 2016, 02:59 PM
Very nice!
Nov 28, 2016, 01:10 PM
Building the Wings

I glued the 1/16 plywood spars together and added the 1/8 x 1/4 spruce spars. Before I glued the spruce pieces I cut them to length and also cut the angle for fit against the laminated wingtip.

The right panel took about 2 hours to frame up, then I added the leading edge and 1/8 balsa trailing edge for the flaps and ailerons. I then cut the laminated wingtip to fit but have left off R13 and R14 until I shape the laminated wingtip and leading edge. I was having a tough time getting the top leading edge spar to bend down to go inside the laminated wingtip so I cut some relief cuts in the spar to allow it to bend.
Nov 28, 2016, 01:58 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi Denny,

Good Michigan day for building. On the final kit, the wing area at the end of the aileron is 1/64" ply sandwiched between some balsa stock. This is a lot easier than trying to get the laminated wing tip thinned down and all the pieces glued together.

Looks like you're building a xylophone!

-Jim
Nov 28, 2016, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young
Hi Denny,

Good Michigan day for building. On the final kit, the wing area at the end of the aileron is 1/64" ply sandwiched between some balsa stock. This is a lot easier than trying to get the laminated wing tip thinned down and all the pieces glued together.

Looks like you're building a xylophone!

-Jim
Thanks for the wingtip details. I can sure plan for 1/64 ply sandwich too.

Xylophone.....lol! Just a number of metric nut bars used in Philips Cath labs, we used SAE in the states so these got tossed out in all US installs.....a good PM is always looks for workshop stock!
Dec 03, 2016, 07:35 AM
Wing Progress

I framed up both wings and built one flap and aileron. Still have wing bottom sheeting and most wing cap strips to add along with working to finish the wing tips.

Ailerons: I traced the 1/8 balsa aileron leading edge from the 1/8 wing trailing edge and cut it out on my band saw with the blade angled 13 degrees. This gets the forward angle pretty close for the aileron. I did the same for the flap but cut the angle on my little table saw.....
Dec 05, 2016, 12:00 AM
My planes plow into the field
Hi,
Well, I will be watching. Just starting to get into building my own "wood" airplanes. Tired of building with foam. I purchased a 45" Waco YMF-5, but have not received it .. Will be watching, looking for building tips. Your Monocoupe is looking good.
Dec 06, 2016, 07:19 AM
Gravity sucks.
Great work, as usual. This will make a real pretty little ship.
Dec 06, 2016, 02:13 PM
R Throne
Great to see the Monocoupe on the way!!!
Dec 06, 2016, 02:27 PM
More Wing Progress

I've completed both flaps and ailerons, glued the 1/16 balsa cap strips on the ribs and worked on the wingtips......

O also made some Mylar templates and marked the leading edge sheeting for the scalloped edge. Tomorrow I'll rough cut the scallops and sand to (hopefully) make them all the same.

I've ripped some 1/16 and 1/8 stock to start the fuse sides.....
Dec 07, 2016, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Throne
Great to see the Monocoupe on the way!!!
Hi Robert, thanks for stopping by....

I've been reading Jim and your original thread....looking at your pix and reading through the builds as well as reading Jim's instructions. I may plank the cowl with 1/16" like you did. Not sure I'm going to have all the beautiful fairings that you did....well see. The wings are pretty much done. Worked on mounting aileron and flap servos today along with cutting and sanding scallops on the wing sheeting.

Denny
Dec 10, 2016, 10:38 AM
Fuselage

Per a tip from Jim Young I am laminating the 1/4" square longerons for the fuse. The top section is 2 pieces of 1/8 x 1/4 and the bottom section is 4 pieces of 1/16 x 1/4. I need to make a trip to the Hobby Shop to pick up some wood for the stringers.....
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Dec 10, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Jan 14, 2017, 01:33 PM
Fuselage Progress:

It's been awhile since I posted....got sidetracked with other projects around the Holidays...

Anyway I finished framing both aft fuselage sides and joined them together. Then I dry fitted the forward section and when satisfied I Zapped it together. I had to form the 5/32 and 1/8 music wire landing gear and silver soldered it together before Zapping the forward section.

I wanted to check the stab to wing incidence to make sure when I mated the front to back sections it matched the drawings. I used my HK digital angle meter to measure the stab mount and F3A wing plate on the wall hung drawings. I zeroed the meter on the stab mount then read the F3A angle. I read 1.4~1.5 degrees.

I temporarily joined the front to back, clamped together to hold, and read the stab mount and F3A wing plate. Everything jigs together but wanted to make sure I didn't build any problems into the fuse.....just like the angles read off the plans I read 1.4~1.5 degrees. I then used my PLS laser tool to make sure it's straight from the firewall to the tail post. It looked spot on too so Zapped away. Next I need to coax the bottom 1/4 square stringers into the front bottom formers. I may need to wet them to help coax them into position.
Jan 15, 2017, 08:53 PM
Mike Brinker
This is going to be a sweet plane. The alignment looks spot on..... What do the plans look like Denny? would it be ok to show a pic of just a portion of the plans? Not sure if you are allowed to do that but I am just curious to see what they look like. This looks pretty advanced.

Mike