Quanum Overlord and Half-Overlord 5.8GHz Receivers - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 09, 2017, 02:04 PM
Are there any other players in the "multi-diversity" receiver game yet, or does Quanum still have the corner on the market?

The Overlord has been on back-order since the dawn of time, so obviously there's a demand for something else in this arena!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2017, 03:15 PM
Heli Newb
another multidiversity would be the foxtech D58-4 ^^ but its unfortunately also out of my price range.. just like the overlords Q_Q Any other alternatives out there? maybe some diy with rx5808? ^^

Greetings
Oct 15, 2017, 12:34 PM
Just grabbed myself a half overlord as these are now less than half the original price.
i.e. 101.71 down to 44.96.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:34 AM
^ Same.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:38 AM
resU deretsigeR
Ya, 55 bucks us. Wonder if I can put a 7 turn on the center, and mout this on my antenna tracker.....
Latest blog entry: My TR-260 second flight.
Oct 17, 2017, 10:25 AM
Same here, wonder how it will perform when used with HeadPlay diversity clone.

I found my video was getting doggy at LOS 3.2km away (and 500m up) with a 600mW (8 turn helical + cloverleaf) with Headplay diversity clone... not impressed, I hope this one would perform better.

What sort of range are you guys getting from the Half overlord with stock antennas?

Is the overlord diversity firmware update-able or not?
Oct 17, 2017, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojciechwas
Same here, wonder how it will perform when used with HeadPlay diversity clone.

I found my video was getting doggy at LOS 3.2km away (and 500m up) with a 600mW (8 turn helical + cloverleaf) with Headplay diversity clone... not impressed, I hope this one would perform better.

What sort of range are you guys getting from the Half overlord with stock antennas?

Is the overlord diversity firmware update-able or not?
There's nothing really wrong with the stock antennas. The main problem is in the way they're mounted. Three 30 antennas just can't cover 180 of sky so there are significant gaps which become wider and hence more noticeable the further out you go. I've modified the mounts on one side of my "full" Overlord so that the antenna beams overlap and am now able to get out around 7km without losing the signal. I would assume that a similar mod on the half Overlord would help with longer-range flights. However, given that the half Overlord doesn't have the central "omni" antenna, it's possible that it might adversely affect the short range performance.

RSSI ProTrack V Quanum Overlord - long-range test #2 (15 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Ken_Jungles; Oct 17, 2017 at 08:53 PM.
Oct 18, 2017, 08:48 AM
resU deretsigeR
Need them to cut the overlord price in half also. Not just the half overlord.
Latest blog entry: My TR-260 second flight.
Dec 05, 2017, 03:32 PM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Jungles
There's nothing really wrong with the stock antennas. The main problem is in the way they're mounted. Three 30 antennas just can't cover 180 of sky so there are significant gaps which become wider and hence more noticeable the further out you go. I've modified the mounts on one side of my "full" Overlord so that the antenna beams overlap and am now able to get out around 7km without losing the signal. I would assume that a similar mod on the half Overlord would help with longer-range flights. However, given that the half Overlord doesn't have the central "omni" antenna, it's possible that it might adversely affect the short range performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d6AlWqJPnE
Good test. Thanks for showing us your findings.
Dec 05, 2017, 04:03 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
This product was the biggest thing that NEVER WAS
Dec 05, 2017, 04:39 PM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
This product was the biggest thing that NEVER WAS
What? you mean it died a death?

I can't say that I find the menus very intuitive. You have to scan and then press exit four times to get out of the menu but even then I can't see how you are supposed to pick a bldy channel. It almost commands you to press scan and then tells you what it has decided that you want to watch.
what happened to obvious button presses like press scan and then have the first four channels listed so that you can scroll through them.
Does this thing have manual tune on it? What if you know your channel but you're in the pits. You can't tune your half overlord until you switch on.
Oh and the screen is only any use to young people with good eyesight.

Yeah. There are a few things that can be improved on it.
I was hoping to find alternative firmware for it from somewhere.
A nice big channel display would be good. (like you get on the fatshark compatible modules) I'm not going to worry about diversity signal strength if I don't know what channel I'm watching.
Apr 25, 2018, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer
What? you mean it died a death?

I can't say that I find the menus very intuitive. You have to scan and then press exit four times to get out of the menu but even then I can't see how you are supposed to pick a bldy channel. It almost commands you to press scan and then tells you what it has decided that you want to watch.
what happened to obvious button presses like press scan and then have the first four channels listed so that you can scroll through them.
Does this thing have manual tune on it? What if you know your channel but you're in the pits. You can't tune your half overlord until you switch on.
Oh and the screen is only any use to young people with good eyesight.

Yeah. There are a few things that can be improved on it.
I was hoping to find alternative firmware for it from somewhere.
A nice big channel display would be good. (like you get on the fatshark compatible modules) I'm not going to worry about diversity signal strength if I don't know what channel I'm watching.
I found navigating the menu's a bit odd, the obvious directional button presses to get you through the menu arent there. Instead it takes a bit of a play around each time I use it to get familiar with how to navigate through things. +1 on the small screen, I dont think they could of fitting a smaller screen if they had tried.

The mentioned selection of a channel and manual set. I quite like how they've done it. Turn on the model (or dont if you just want to see whats out there) and hit scan. The unit seems to scan and allocate channels to the peaks it picks up. Now I cant recall what tab in the menu it is, I think its channel select, I'll get back to you later in the week once I have the unit in front of me. Its simply a case of browsing through the peaks the unit found until you get to your channel. Job done. This is superb at race meets, can hop between everyones channels in seconds. Even helps pick out frequency offenders with ease.

I cant comment on your other points as I havent had that much hands on with it. I've recently got my longer range wing ready to rock so i'll be putting the half overlord through its paces soon enough with that.

One thing I'll moan about is the build quality. Two of the three SMA connects at the bit where they meet the main board started to wiggle with less than half an hours handling. At first I thought it was a way to adjust them vertically but as the play got worse I started to worry. On opening them up I soon realized they were working their way off the board. A good helping of glue soon took care of it though That and im forever tightening the antennas!
Apr 25, 2018, 11:33 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preid
I found navigating the menu's a bit odd, the obvious directional button presses to get you through the menu arent there. Instead it takes a bit of a play around each time I use it to get familiar with how to navigate through things. +1 on the small screen, I dont think they could of fitting a smaller screen if they had tried.

The mentioned selection of a channel and manual set. I quite like how they've done it. Turn on the model (or dont if you just want to see whats out there) and hit scan. The unit seems to scan and allocate channels to the peaks it picks up. Now I cant recall what tab in the menu it is, I think its channel select, I'll get back to you later in the week once I have the unit in front of me. Its simply a case of browsing through the peaks the unit found until you get to your channel. Job done. This is superb at race meets, can hop between everyones channels in seconds. Even helps pick out frequency offenders with ease.

I cant comment on your other points as I havent had that much hands on with it. I've recently got my longer range wing ready to rock so i'll be putting the half overlord through its paces soon enough with that.

One thing I'll moan about is the build quality. Two of the three SMA connects at the bit where they meet the main board started to wiggle with less than half an hours handling. At first I thought it was a way to adjust them vertically but as the play got worse I started to worry. On opening them up I soon realized they were working their way off the board. A good helping of glue soon took care of it though That and im forever tightening the antennas!
I've solved the crpy menus issue.. I haven't had it out of the box since I last posted on here!
Yep! The antennas are heavy, and unlike the full overlord, they are mounted directly to the PCB without any support. Like you've said - It won't take long before they fall off/break off.
Apr 30, 2018, 05:43 AM
Aye so channel scan, let it do its thing then into the 'diversity' menu. It'll automatically go to the highest signal and away you go.

I had it setup on the ground, raised up about twenty cm by a small stand. Managed a low level flight (5-10m altitude) out to 2km and apart from one blip the video was solid. One thing I wish I had done when I opened the unit up to glue the SMA connectors is also glue that obnoxious beeper! As even outdoors its too loud and once the goggles are on you cant tell which antenna is active by the beeps alone. Really wish there was a way to get at the code to change the beeping, have a tone for each antenna. I see theres been an led mod for this which has got me thinking I could throw an micro arduino at it with a buzzer.
May 15, 2018, 04:04 PM
Hey! Did you find any way to recieve audio?

Quick Reply