tinyFISH FC - an open tiny F3 flight controller with integrated RX - RC Groups
Nov 21, 2016, 02:45 PM
Discussion

tinyFISH FC - an open tiny F3 flight controller with integrated RX

Hi!

After building my tiny Frsky compatible uSKY receiver i started to work on a tiny (20x20mm) F3 based FC.
I will update the progress on my blog soon: http://fishpepper.de/projects/tinyfish/

Right now i received the pcbs and started the assembly of the first prototype and started to port betaflight to it. I will publish the design as open hardware once i finished testing.
There is also a tiny brushed add-on that converts this tiny FC to a brushed fc

Regards,
Simon
Last edited by fishpepper; Nov 22, 2016 at 04:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2016, 08:04 AM
What is landing :O
Absolute legend !
Wanted to see something like this and here it is !

Edit: This has everything I could think of ! Amazing work
P.S. Please keep us updated I can't wait to see more
Would it be possible to make the esc 2s compatible ?
Nov 22, 2016, 08:39 AM
@ fishpepper

this is rx full range frsky x16ch with cc2510 , no telemetry . CC2510 seem very effective in micro rx

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/produ...d:frsky_xmplus
Nov 22, 2016, 09:26 AM
tHe n00b on YouTube
Wow! This is one cool project. Can't wait to see it in action.
Nov 22, 2016, 02:47 PM
I know this rx, its bigger than my complete FC ;D
There are some news, i got most of the parts working in betaflight:
http://fishpepper.de/2016/11/22/tiny...th-betaflight/

Tested is gyro/acc and dataflash for blackbox. Untested is uarts, adc, led strip, and motor output.
Nov 23, 2016, 03:27 AM
Dquad
Great job!
Been following the development of the uSKY and am VERY excited to see it together with an FC!
Together with some tiny ESCs, a quad with this size will be so awesome to fly.
Keep us posted!
Nov 23, 2016, 10:01 AM
Wow Simon Great Job, unbelievable what a projects you shake out in little timespan!

Any plans to add a full range LNA/PA Diversity switch, such as Skyworks RFX2411N, still would be very tiny design!

Did you also look at the X-Protocol for Frsky? DeviationTx project has the Tx code running well.
Nov 25, 2016, 04:41 AM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Any plans to add a full range LNA/PA Diversity switch, such as Skyworks RFX2411N, still would be very tiny design!

Did you also look at the X-Protocol for Frsky? DeviationTx project has the Tx code running well.
Yes it would improve range but at a cost of 0.5g of antenna weight. I personally think it would be worth it

Regarding the X-protocol - I think D-protocol is simpler, therefore might be faster and/or more robust:

D-protocol:
- frame size: 0x11
- 8 channels per frame sent every 9ms
- simple A1, A2, sensorhub telemetry

X-protocol:
- frame size: 0x1D
- 8 channels per frame
- 8 channels sent every 9ms or 16 channels every 18ms.
- S.Port telemetry

The only gain I can see is S.Port telemetry. Do you think it's really worth it? I personally only use RSSI and battery voltage, or even just the RSSI, as I have a micro smd buzzer on my quad, 0.3g.

Feel free to correct me if I'm worng on this one, I'm not 100% sure it works as described above.

@fishpepper, let me know if you need some help with development, I was involved in porting Sparky2 to raceflight, I also forked chibiflight (lightweight flight control code based on chibios) to add openlrs support back in the day, so I know both worlds
Nov 25, 2016, 06:49 PM
I'd personally like it if you added the x protocol in your time to the FCs and RXs you're making
Nov 28, 2016, 09:20 PM
Simon

Great work!!!

Greez
chris
Dec 17, 2016, 12:35 PM
i made a PCB F1 NAZE32 use motor brushed and also DIY a PCB cc2510 ( firmware USKY ) .
Use betaflight and it work great .

i think i will also intergrade CC2510 on board F1 now , and use a Balun to replace some C , L , i hate to solder so much component
And add a chip PA/LNA easy , PCB still small
Last edited by Jame David; Jan 05, 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:57 PM
Nice! Happy to see others are working with it!
Make sure to connect a full uart from the cc2510 to a single uart of your fc. This way you can use my cc2510 bootloader and update the rx firmware from within betaflight
With the current Betaflight master you can also run telemetry at 100000baud and save one serial port, see the config files of Opensky for details
Dec 18, 2016, 04:30 AM
Would it be possible to implement telemetry on the new frsky xm receivers ? I don't see why not :P
Dec 18, 2016, 10:41 AM

result test range

i tried range RX , i move about 80 m and then come back . No problem , RX still work . Range enough for mini quad
Although i only use a DEVO 7e mod cc2500 ( rfx2401 ) . I think if use modul DJT or taranis, it will better .
Last edited by Jame David; Dec 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM.
Dec 18, 2016, 11:09 AM
Telemetry/OpenSky could probably be ported to the frsky XM receivers. At least the version without LNA (if they do not have a PA this will not work on those).
I think they omitted telemetry as it is easier to fcc certify those without telemetry (no active transmitter).