Nov 21, 2016, 01:48 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
Build Log

New R/C Paramotor Wing design - DIY full details - BUILD COMPLETE!

Hello, all!

After a number of years chasing the elusive paramotor wing design, I finally have a wonderful model that I would like to share with the community. This is my own design and is built from scratch. The wing size is based upon my Opale Power 1.1, as I wanted something that I could fly on my M2 cart. However, the design was completely done within the SingleSkin software using parameters derived from studying various full-size wings.

As a part of this build log, I will be providing full documentation, plans/templates, and video tutorials every step of the way. I expect to have perhaps one video a week with photos detailing the progress to start within the next week or two. I look forward to your questions and comments!

Below is a short video of the prototype flying in our local park.

NEW R/C Paramotor Design - and it flies! (1 min 9 sec)

This wing was designed using the SingleSkin software available from sourceforge. For those interested the .ssp file is attached along with the modified airfoil.dat file.

-11/23: attached rev. 1 of the plans. These are still incomplete, but should be a good preview. I will be making the first of the construction videos this weekend.

-11/24 - UPDATE: Video Part 1 - Introduction, Tools and Materials is up and available. Next we will start making fabric templates and cutting our parts. Stay tuned, and enjoy!

R/C Paramotor Construction - the LuteFisk : Part 1 - Introduction (19 min 52 sec)

-12/04: UPDATE - Video Part 2 - Cutting material is up! Also, rev. 2 of the plans sheet is available along with the wing color design sheet. Enjoy!

R/C Paramotor Construction - the LuteFisk : Part 2 - Cutting the Material (31 min 46 sec)

-12/11: UPDATE - Video Part 3 - Sewing the Wing is up! Things are really moving along now as we get the wing constructed - next time, we will add the rib stiffeners and close up the trailing edge and wingtips. Stay tuned!

R/C Paramotor Construction - the LuteFisk : Part 3 - Sewing the Wing (37 min 27 sec)

-12/25: UPDATE - Just in time for the holiday, Part 4 is UP! In this episode we get the trailing edge finished and close up the wingtips. Next time, the rib stiffeners.

R/C Paramotor Construction: The LuteFisk Part 4- Trailing Edge and Wingtips (22 min 15 sec)

-12/30: UPDATE - Happy New Year's! Part 5 is now available - we get the rib stiffeners installed and flight testing is getting closer. I'm really getting excited to see how this new fabric performs!

R/C Paramotor Construction: The LuteFisk Part 5 - Rib Sitffeners (29 min 52 sec)

- 1/1/17: UPDATE - Part 6 is up! We are getting close, and success is well within site now - in this part we make and install the attachment points. Not nearly as difficult as sewing the wing, but we need to be very cautious not to cause any damage whilst working. The .stl file for our attachment point jig is attached.

R/C Paramotor Construction: The LuteFisk Part 6 - Attachment Points (24 min 34 sec)

-1/5/17: UPDATE - Part 7 is available! Success is at hand as we make and install the lines (bridle). Once all the lines are installed, we finally get to 'kite' the wing - next time, we make the risers for connection to our cart.

R/C Paramotor Construction: The LuteFisk Part 7 - Lines (24 min 41 sec)

-1/19/17: UPDATE - Ok, so I'm a little late getting the last part of the build out... but I've been having too much flying this wing and have been a bit remiss in finishing the last video. Here it is, though - the final video, Part 8 is up! I must say, this wing flies even better with the Ikarex material than the original. And even better, it flies as built!

R/C Paramotor Construction: The LuteFisk Part 8 - Risers and flight (9 min 0 sec)

-5/20/17: UPDATE - I have made a few adjustments to the wingtips, and she is much better behaved in bumpy air now! It turns out that the angle was a little off and it needed a fifth attachment point. No worries, only 5 lines need to be made for each side and 1 attachment point added to each. I have attached the plans rev. 3
Last edited by ksmason42; May 20, 2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added Content
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2016, 12:23 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Wow ! Great work.
Nov 22, 2016, 01:15 PM
Flight is fluid
Nov 22, 2016, 03:27 PM
Nice! I'm actually pretty good on a sewing machine, but this might be beyond my skill (read patience) level. I'll be watching your posts.

Dave
Nov 23, 2016, 05:36 AM
That is one very nice looking wing!

And a great video too!

Many thanks for sharing it!

Now..... should I build one???

Hmmm.....

.... Maybe I like it a lot!
Nov 23, 2016, 12:23 PM
Lots of great info here:

http://www.paramoteur-rc.com/ Loads of info to build your own.

Ludovic,
Look familiar?
Nov 23, 2016, 11:46 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

First Revision of the Plans sheets

Hey, all!

These are still a work in progress, but here is rev 1 of the PDF plans set. All of these plans are and will be plotter-friendly - I will be releasing the original CAD files as I produce the construction videos and guides. There are still a few notes to add and templates to create, but I should be making the first of the videos this weekend.

Getting all my materials ready for the build - stay tuned!

Thanks,

James
Dec 01, 2016, 12:45 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

Video Part 1 up, Part 2 coming soon

Part 1 of the construction series is up, and I'll be cutting templates and material tomorrow and posting part 2 - after that, it really gets fun!

The plans sheet will be updated with the rib stiffener patterns and I will be posting a color layout sheet to help with designing the pattern of the wing.

Stay tuned!
Dec 04, 2016, 06:23 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

construction video 2 is now up!

Hey, all - the second construction video is up! In this video we make the part templates and cut material for our wing. Also, I have uploaded version 2 of the plans which includes the rib stiffeners. And if that wasn't enough, I have included a handy wing color design sheet to use when laying out the rib and panel colors for your wing.

Enjoy!

-James
Dec 11, 2016, 10:45 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
Wohoo! Part 3 - Sewing the Wing is up! In this part of the build we construct the wing, and it is a beautiful thing. The Ikarex PC31 material is quite nice and a joy to sew - it should fly even better than the original!

Thanks all, and Happy Holidays!
Dec 25, 2016, 08:57 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

Part 4 of the construction series is up!

In this episode we finish the trailing edge and close up the wingtips - this is coming together really nicely, but there is still a lot of work to do! Next time, we will attach the rib stiffeners. Happy holidays!
Dec 26, 2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks for part 4.
Dec 30, 2016, 06:00 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

Part 5 of the construction series is up!

Happy New Year's, all! Part 5 is now up - we are about halfway to the finish and it is time to add the rib stiffeners. This is not the most technically challenging part of the build, but it is one of the most demanding. We have done a lot of work up to this point and care is needed to avoid screwing it up!

So, take your time, practice, and ask questions if you need. Good Luck!

-James
Jan 01, 2017, 04:26 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

Part 6 is now available - we are almost there!

In part 6 we make and install the line attachment points. No too difficult, just a lot of repetition.

We are nearly there, as next time we will make and install the lines - this is the exciting part, as we will get to kite the wing for the first time!

Stay Tuned!
Jan 06, 2017, 12:16 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP

Part 7 is up!

Completion is close at hand as we make and install the lines (bridle) in part 7. We also get to 'kite' the wing and get a taste of flight trials that will be happening soon. Good luck, and post your comments and kiting videos to share!

-James

Quick Reply