Feb 12, 2017, 11:38 PM

Maybe Tomorrow

Hi Mal
Modifications look good. Maybe tomorrow we can have a go.
I will finish mine with a longer tail boom to overcome the rudder/rotor problem.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2017, 05:51 AM
Great looking mods
The problem I have with tail strikes is more to do with where I'm trying to land.

My garden is very rough and wet and the fields next to me are waterlogged so no chance of smooth landings unless there is a steady head wind

If you have a smooth runway landing without tail strikes will be easy

Here is some original promo videos from five years ago
LUOBO-V2_02.wmv (2 min 10 sec)

LUOBO-V2_01.wmv (3 min 29 sec)
Feb 15, 2017, 05:25 AM
Managed an attempt at Test Flying mine yesterday, ended in a nose dive into terra firma

Broke the firewall and damaged prop, motor and battery, luckily I have spares. Amazingly no damage to blades or tail.
It's all repairable, so that's a bonus, weather was cloudy but fine, cross wind was up a little and gusting frequently.

Had several attempts to ROG with no success, wind kept tipping it over, final attempt was a hand launch but too much positive pitch I think.
Wind caught the rotor and flipped it over before I had achance to gain control

Well I guess there's always next time
Mal

Have a video but having trouble trying to up load it
Feb 15, 2017, 06:09 AM

Aeroflya

Mal had a successful flight of the auto g before he attempted the luobo. We tried to spin the blades on the ground but because of the size of the blades or shortness of the fuselage the model could not be restrained whilst the rotor came up to speed. The hand launch was ok for a very short time the model climbed steeply and as soon as the wind got under the rotor it was thrown back like a kite. Better luck next time with less wind.
Last edited by Adelaide Gyronut; Feb 15, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
Feb 15, 2017, 04:46 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Looks like you are nearly there Joe, are they the same blades as the C30? I believe the design comes from the same source and wher4e HK get the heads from.
Why not remove the fin and have twin outboard fins and rudders? That should eliminate tail strikes a bit better?
Feb 15, 2017, 10:16 PM
G'Day Mal
You may want to have a look at your hang angle...because it is possible that the mod's you did to the tail have increased the weight and reduced the hang.
The flight was described as the model being pushed up and back into the wind....and that sound as if it "may" be a hang prob.
The nose will need to be down .
The hang should be as little as 15...and up to 18/19 deg.
Chris...
Feb 16, 2017, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Looks like you are nearly there Joe, are they the same blades as the C30? I believe the design comes from the same source and where HK get the heads from.
Why not remove the fin and have twin outboard fins and rudders? That should eliminate tail strikes a bit better?
Rich hope to find the sweet spot soon,a wee bit cold here and I'm enjoying the log fire too much

The tail strikes are more to do with my flying area I need to approach high to clear the out buildings and have to try and stop the model with no roll the ground is too wet and rough

The C30 blades are the same profile and width but longer and have wire inserted in the tip,I may try weights later
Feb 16, 2017, 05:46 AM
G'day Chris
We checked the hang angle prior to my attempted flight, it was nose heavy with battery attached approx 15 deg hang angle.
Have a look at the video and see what you think.
As Neil posted earlier I flew my Auto-G twice on the same day without any problems.
Mal
Last edited by aeroflya; Feb 16, 2017 at 05:55 AM.
Feb 16, 2017, 03:50 PM
OK Mal
but 15 deg is not nose heavy.....that's minimum hang .
Another thing that could happen is that you were at full power at launch...making the model climb....and then if you cut the power ...model pushed back with wind under disc?
We don't always need to launch at full power.

Joe
What's your hang.
Chris...
Last edited by britinoz; Feb 16, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Feb 16, 2017, 07:25 PM
Hi Chris
Looks like the day is coming closer for us to come out to Connie and let you have a look. The model was at full throttle when I hand launched it, not sure if the throttle was cut and I may have hand launched it too steeply. All me take offs with other gyros has been ROG.
Feb 17, 2017, 01:43 PM
Chris sorry didn't measure the hang, it just looked OK
Here are photos of the model with two different lipos 1.3 and 2.2
Only flown with the 1.3 will try the 2.2 when the weather improves
Joe
Feb 19, 2017, 10:46 PM
OK Mal... I have found that for hand launch ..the model will not need to be at full power ...in fact it can be a disadvantage....causing the model to climb and pull sharply in one direction.The disc has to be held back to the wind ,to help the spin up ...but launch the model at just above the horizon.
Thanks Joe....good job...so that's 15 deg for the small pack & 18 deg for the big one.
I must admit that I could never test fly a model with out double checking the hang.
Chris...
Feb 22, 2017, 04:51 AM
Had a flight with the 2.2 lipo, it was a little bit windy but I was desperate to have another go

Held the model into the wind the blades spun up added a little power and the model climbed away nicely,I thought I had at last found the sweet spot but that was short lived the rest of the flight was a bit exiting with moments of perfect control and the rest like I was wrestling a bear

I did manage to get it on the ground with the usual tail fin strike landing and no other damage

I am thinking with the model some times flying normal and at other times having a mind of its own I will try a different receiver and see if that makes any difference
Joe
Feb 24, 2017, 03:27 AM
Swapped the receiver and had a short flight this morning it was Sunny but cold with a very light wind.

A totally different machine I was ready to fight it but it flew without any problems

It was a little fast but I hope to get it trimmed and I can relax with it, I even got a perfect landing with no tail strike

Will try and get video of the next flights
Joe
Feb 26, 2017, 04:33 PM
oops
Last edited by britinoz; Feb 26, 2017 at 08:39 PM.