Nov 19, 2016, 05:13 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine V210 V-tail FPV Quad SP Racing F3 + DVR (Review)

While most quads look the same, and the difference is more in what motors, ESCs etc are used, this new V210 is much different from most that is available as RTF FPV racer. Pusher props at the rear, and as the name of the quad already reveals, a V-shaped tail section, set it apart from other designs. Will this just be a gimmick, or perform well, and will Eachine have kept their wits this time, and avoided making some dramatic mistakes, as we have seen with some of their other products?

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic. And please, no affiliate links!

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-V-ta...p-1100100.html

2 - Unboxing:

Despite only being wrapped in some foam, this time the box arrived mostly unharmed. Guess the "gorilla" employees of the shipping company had taken a day off, when this parcel was processed. Usually at least one corner is severely crushed, if I get lucky.

When you open the box, first thing you will see are the included props, stored in a cutout on the outside of the foam insert. Pretty odd location, but still better than taped to the outside.

Inside the foam we find the transmitter, the quad, with battery already strapped in place, and the charger.

This charger is the Charsoon 4S, and is quite versatile for a bundled charger. It doesn't just do 4S, but also 3S and 2S, with a charge current of 1000mA. On top of that, it has a screen, indicating the individual cell voltages, being cycled on the 3 digit display. It can even be used as voltage checker, so might be convenient to bring along to the field. Mine had a little rattle coming from the inside, and fearing this might be a dot of solder, I opened it up, to be safe. Turned out to be a dot of hot glue, that had come loose, so no worries there. Here's a picture of the inside:

Anyway, back to the quad itself, which looks really neat. The raised V-tail and the front part remind me of the Voyager from the Star Trek TV series:

At the bottom we find the 4S 1500mAh LiPo, strapped in place, and still wrapped in bubble plastic:

The high level of creating a smooth appearance, does have it's drawbacks, the VTX is located under the front cover, so if you want to change the frequency, 6 hex screws need to be removed to access the dipswitches. A removable rubber cover, allowing easy access to the dipswitches, like we see on the Rodeo 150, would have been a nice option:

The RTF receiver is PPM, single antenna, and connected to UART2 plug:

When we remove the top CF plate, the flight controller is revealed, using an SD card for storing Blackbox logs. Though it's possible to retrieve these logs using the Cleanflight app, this takes a lot of time, and when you have bigger amounts of data stored on the card, it may be faster to remove the cover, and put the card in a USB card reader instead...

The ESCs are screwed in place, and use connectors on each side, making it possible to swap these, without any soldering:

The stock firmware is Cleanflight 1.13.0, partially setup, but some settings are still just on default. Like the rates, all on 0.00, which will make the quad slow to respond, as well as a very high Minimum Throttle setting of 1150, which certainly won't help with smooth landings, or losing altitude easily in a dive, during flight. On the plus side, the right type of quad has been selected, so the firmware at least knows it's a V-tail...

So after recording the stock settings, I made a few adjustments, assigned the beeper to a switch, set rates to 0.25 for a start, and reduced the minimum throttle to 1055, as the motors can run smoothly even on a throttle setting as low as 1021. However, with the weather is appaling at the moment, with a real storm, rain, etc. So no testflight for now...

3 - Transmitter:

The regular FS-i6 rebranded with Eachine labels and software. So to access the settings menu, press the two horizontal trim buttons inwards when powering up the transmitter, than press and hold ok. The AUX channels are at least not set to the VRA and VRB rotating knobs, but to SwA and SwB. Personally I prefer SwC and SwD, but that is easily changed.

4 - Flying Performance:

First flights didn't go well. The motors, mostly on the rear, are stuttering as soon as throttle is increased. As the motors run smoothly when controlled from Cleanflight motor tab, it seems that the gyro on the flight controller is acting up:

First attempt to fly the Eachine V-Tail V-210 (0 min 41 sec)

Currently under investigation, but flying isn't possible at the moment.

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

While looking fast and powerful, the V-tail V210 lacks in execution. Quality control issues on the electronics prevent it from flying smoothly, despite that the motors and ESCs are well up to the task. If you want something different, and don't mind running the risk to get a crippled quacopter, that needs a lot of fixing, you might consider this one. Do you want a quadcopter that flies right out of the box, there are much, much better options available that cost less and perform better.

Pros:

- Smooth finish, most parts well protected (except the camera)
- Looks nice
- Strong Emax motors

Cons:

- Camera can easily be ripped off in a crash
- VTX frequency selection only possible after removing 6 hex screws
- V-shaped part of the frame seems fragile
- Quality control issues on FC and other electronics
- Proprietary PDB and FC

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

Since my review unit was basically unflyable, it's hard to pass a verdict on this matter. However, the frame being partially plastic, on the V-shaped part of it, it's unlikely that it will withstand repeatedly crashing very well. Also the quad is rather heavy, so there will be more energy involved when it hits something. So even if performing flawlessly, I would not consider this quadcopter to very suitable for a beginner.

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 01, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2016, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
7 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The VTX has been hidden under the top cover, so no easy access to the switches that select the FPV frequency. The VTX antenna seems a simple dipole, and is mounted horizontally, not exactly ideal for good horizontal range.

But for now that doesn't matter much, as I don't get any image from the camera or DVR, the only thing that shows is the OSD info....

8 - Hints, Tips & Modifications:

9 Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Nov 20, 2016 at 06:48 AM.
Nov 19, 2016, 08:01 AM
Drone Collector
Wow!..subbed.

Maybe the pusher V-tail is designed for better stability like dihedral on aircraft wings, or flapping heads on the early Kyosho gasser helli's ?.

design either way, on whether or not the concept causes potential prop strike issues unless landing on a totally flat surface.
Nov 19, 2016, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
The benefit, as I understand, should be better yaw authority. On a quad with motors on the same level, only changes in RPM can make it yaw. Since the motors on a V-tail are angled, changing their RPM does more than create torque steering, part of the motors' thrust is aimed sideways. However, as weather is even worse today than yesterday, I don't think there will be any flight testing this. I will use the time to document default settings, and other details.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 19, 2016, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Added screenshots of the most important stock Cleanflight settings, as well as a CLI Dump. Sadly, the weather today was not permitting a test flight, and the FPV camera's image doesn't show on the VTX signal.
Nov 19, 2016, 06:28 PM
Drone Collector
Ahh, got you. Kinda like a vectored thrust set up
Nov 19, 2016, 06:33 PM
Here's a flight video of the V210:
Eachine RTF V Tail 210 FPV Racing Drone Flight Test Review (15 min 26 sec)
Nov 20, 2016, 07:55 AM
Thread OP
Updated the first posting with unboxing pictures, also showing some details from "under the hood"
Dec 05, 2016, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
Added flight video. Sadly my sample is showing the same issues as some others are having, weird motor stuttering when in the air. Seems like there is lots of variation in quality between these units...
Jan 06, 2017, 07:56 PM
I am new to drones of this size that need to be tuned. I only have experience with toy drones. My V-tail arrived today and sadly I have the same stuttering, rear motor problem. I really hope someone finds a fix for this soon. Maybe this is useless information, but I will provide it just in case it is helpful in any way. On the 7 flight attempts I made, attempt 4 was level and not stuttering. I aborted attempt 4 because I was expecting the same issue again. All of the other attempts were pitched forward and stuttering constantly until my drone nose dived into the ground. Is it possible that this could be an intermittent problem, possibly a setting that's set too sensitive or not calibrated correctly? Again, I know nothing about cleanflight or adjusting anything other than trim
Jan 12, 2017, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Still haven't heard about a solution for this from either Eachine or Banggood. Almost seems like this one has been abandoned, or they are secretly working on a fix, and meanwhile we are left in the dark, waiting...
May 07, 2017, 01:42 PM
thx for an thorough review, wondering about taking one of thise Vtailbirds, you certainly are getting a lot of hardware for relative little money, hence clearence sale.
Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic. And please, no affiliate links!
thx for the review, ewen thow your dislaimer that are jumping out as main bold-context" are cutting it a little thick imo, to my understanding and from BG vtail-thread you are getting paid (its a free'bee), and you do making money from making these rewiew (further free'bees).

-at the end of the day, it doesnt matter if its diamants or highborne'titles or cash or just free'bee's - your are being paid with these and these items are representing an value, and ewen thow many of the all-star-guys on RCgroups are keeping it pretty clean and honest imo, - its certainly not the case on all aspects that BG with this free'bee-approach results in, and you will from time and time encounter people there shill like there is no tomorrow with a backbone like rubber, - partically on YT and some of the other segemt forums, where BG and gearbest and other china houses are supplmenting with free'bees..

Like stated' not the case here, quite the contrary often very wellmade and honest reviews, i encounter at RC groups and not least some of the yt-accounts relating to users here, but stating that your not being paid, and dont make any kind of income-incitament for the review, are in my view not correct, and not least when it doesnt ewen got stated that this review are made from a item, that according to another thread was free og charge. #31

We all got different views, but i really cherise the ones that are keeping it clean and just setting the fundament with open arms, since we all can relate and understand it, "like yes, this item was free of charge for this review purpose, yes i hope i will get more free items in the future by making this review and helping with there product, - and yes' the use of profiting thrue affliate-links or just tradetracker are often in play. (one thing is not point it out' another is to actually try to give the impression of of the oppesit thrue an disclaimer)

Huge thumps up to your review, topnudge - your disclaimer, not so much.
Last edited by DaneLaw; May 07, 2017 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply