Nov 18, 2016, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Smart port data from frsky gps v2 on a Futaba sbus2

I have no idea what format s.port data is in, but I was hoping maybe it would be similar to SBus2 because frsky makes fasst receivers. When I plug the GPS into a Futaba receiver SBus 2 it lights up like normal and blinks. Is there a hack to make it work on a Futaba receiver? The Futaba gps costs more than a flight computer that has gps.
Last edited by alex26i; Nov 19, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2016, 11:09 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex26i
I have no idea what format s.port data is in, but I was hoping maybe it would be similar to SBus2 because frsky makes faast receivers. When I plug the GPS into a Futaba receiver SBus 2 it lights up like normal and blinks. Is there a hack to make it work on a Futaba receiver? The Futaba gps costs more than a flight computer that has gps.
While I'm sure there are similarities in the protocol, these are two different protocols and they are not compatible. Smart port/s.port is not related to SBus2.

FrSky only supports unidirectional SBus, not the bidirectional SBus2 protocol. Also they don't do FASSTest or T-FHSS compatible RX's, so there's no reason to assume that they have even looked at Futaba's telemetry (FASST is not a telemetry-enabled protocol)
Nov 19, 2016, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
Ok, guess I left a large gap here. Yes, I know fasst is not a telemetry protocal. I figured frsky would have developed around Futaba technology. I believe the entire Taranis is developed on Futaba technology. Maybe I am wrong but that is what it looks like to me. The radio feels cheaper. And tx mold shape is based on a out of the box toy radio. Cause I have one. Just hoped magically it might work. Or hope frsky will make one for Futaba. Except so far the radio looks like it does't discover moduls they just have proprietary lists.
Last edited by alex26i; Nov 19, 2016 at 06:16 AM.
Nov 19, 2016, 11:03 AM
I void warranties
The problem is SBUS/ SBUS2 is not an over the air protocol, the OTA protocol is property and VERY VERY different. Both SBUS and SBUS2 are only the output of the receiver... For a better understanding of all this have a look threw DeviationTX source code, specifically the protocols sections.

Futaba SBUS2 is a 2-way protocol, control goes one way and telemetry comes back at the same time threw the same connection. In FrSky's (and Futaba original SBUS) systems RC control goes one way and then a different protocol (S. Port for FrSky or whatever Futaba used) handles the telemetry over a different port but note again, in both cases the actual OTA protocol is NOTHING AT All like the SBUS / SBUS 2 output protocols. Also note S.Port is not technically a live return, tho delay is very minimal (under 1sec) it's not actually live at all. The S. Port enabled telemetry receiver will gather data till it has one full packet and only then send that packet back to the transmitter, the majority of FrSky OTA packets are only tx to rx, in the grand scheme of things telemetry is only returned maybe once for every 10 control packets (if not much much less)

SBUS w/ SmartPort will NEVER work the same as SBUS2 as that was never its intent.
Last edited by Cereal_Killer; Nov 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM.
Nov 20, 2016, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
That was very informative. But why would the ota protocal matter, if the gps is putting data out to the sbus2 as a telemetry port. Whatever the ota is, it would handle tha dat on it's own. I just want to figure out a way to get gps to my Futaba without spending 200$. There is even gps on micro quads now.
Nov 20, 2016, 06:23 AM
Quote:
That was very informative. But why would the ota protocal matter, if the gps is putting data out to the sbus2 as a telemetry port. Whatever the ota is, it would handle tha dat on it's own. I just want to figure out a way to get gps to my Futaba without spending 200$. There is even gps on micro quads now.
Have you seen these available from Esprit, Soaring USA and Aloft in the US, but note both Futaba and Frsky need an additional adapter
Nov 20, 2016, 03:50 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Because you need a 2-way OTA protocol which can bring telemetry data back to the transmitter. FASST does not support telemetry - it is 1-way OTA protocol with intelligence from the transmitter to the receiver only.

Ivan
Nov 21, 2016, 06:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Have you seen these available from Esprit, Soaring USA and Aloft in the US, but note both Futaba and Frsky need an additional adapter
That is it. With the data converter. Exactly what I was looking for. Converter
Last edited by alex26i; Nov 21, 2016 at 06:46 AM.
Nov 21, 2016, 10:01 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Ok, guess I left a large gap here. Yes, I know fasst is not a telemetry protocal. I figured frsky would have developed around Futaba technology. I believe the entire Taranis is developed on Futaba technology. Maybe I am wrong but that is what it looks like to me. The radio feels cheaper. And tx mold shape is based on a out of the box toy radio. Cause I have one. Just hoped magically it might work. Or hope frsky will make one for Futaba. Except so far the radio looks like it does't discover moduls they just have proprietary lists.
FrSky's stuff isn't based on Futaba at all. Their protocol is entirely their own (they got into the radio business by selling their own developed 2.4 modules and RX's and later expanded to compatibles). The Taranis is a combination of FrSky's proven RF module, a chinese clone of a JR X9303 case and what is essentially a generic ARM mainboard they designed for OpenTX (which is a development of a firmware originally intended for the FlySky/Turnigy 9X).

FrSky also does sell FASST-compatible RX's, but that's only because they chose the same core chipset that Futaba (and others including hitec) use and they decided to maximize their value. This is not a Futaba chipset, but rather a generic 2.4GHz chipset from a large semiconductor vendor. The compatibles are only a small part of their business, and by the looks of things, one they're moving away from (unsurprising, as their marketshare for the Taranis & Horus is growing while Futaba's shrinks)

The only Futaba tech they use is SBus.
May 26, 2019, 06:41 PM
RC Doc
https://shop.tje.dk/catalog/product_...products_id=45

Good place to start. This module converts uart nmea signal to Sbus2. Cheap.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
I gave up on sbus 2.. but nice to know..

Quick Reply