Dec 07, 2017, 10:16 AM
That pic is what Peter did . As I said he left the inner shutter out for the very reason you said as there was no point to it. As for the shape of my bow. Well there's a lot of shapes I could have used . I could have tapered it like Peters. Like I said before so long as it lifts of the ground and turns like Peters on a dime I will be happy with that achievement. As for general shape that really is a matter of personal preference . Simply I like the way it looks. But I do understand you point. So when are going to see some pics of you endeavours then my friend??? Like I said a lot of this is trail and error and it's always good to see what outhers have come up with to iron out problems. But honestly most of the ground work was done back in the 60's. Peters solutions are new in that he uses a singal engine and direct thrust straight off the air pressure chamber with a considerable amount of eficiantcy. And it works. PS if you want to be critical about aspects of my design fine, but pleas bear in mind that this is a work in progress. And yes there's always room for improvement which I'm shaw you could incorporate into your design of it. After all , that's what it's all about. "Insparation".
Last edited by Shane green; Dec 07, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 02:29 PM
Hi, Shane. Here I tired to express my view of your craft, taken it doesn't have a reverse (but I can add it easily) & it still has the internal shutter.
The red shutter can fully close the channel & whole air goes to the cushion via the pink opening (the size of which should be chosen depending of how much % of air you want to take from the fan to the cushion while having red & green shutters fully open, thus going on full speed). I changed your aft flaps to green slide-like shutters - well, they actually tilt around a centre point located "somewhere". I would guess, you need to have a single channel with a single red shutter & near the aft that channel divides in 2 channels with separately controlled green shutters in each.
I can add a reverse system in the aft if you want.

Peters solutions are not new, all it was suggested & tried back in the 50s-60s. Why his model behaves efficiently, I would say because it's light & has a powerful motor. With enough power you can make even a brick to fly very efficiently, lol.
Last edited by DTAU; Dec 07, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 03:47 PM
Are not men? We are DEVO! (7e)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTAU
Hi, Shane. Here I tired to express my view of your craft, taken it doesn't have a reverse (but I can add it easily) & it still has the internal shutter.
The red shutter can fully close the channel & whole air goes to the cushion via the pink opening (the size of which should be chosen depending of how much % of air you want to take from the fan to the cushion while having red & green shutters fully open, thus going on full speed). I changed your aft flaps to green slide-like shutters - well, they actually tilt around a centre point located "somewhere". I would guess, you need to have a single channel with a single red shutter & near the aft that channel divides in 2 channels with separately controlled green shutters in each.
I can add a reverse system in the aft if you want.

Peters solutions are not new, all it was suggested & tried back in the 50s-60s. Why his model behaves efficiently, I would say because it's light & has a powerful motor. With enough power you can make even a brick to fly very efficiently, lol.
why do you need both shutters? red and green?
Dec 07, 2017, 04:20 PM
Honestly, I too think the red one is kinda useless - I was following Shane/Peters design. You can control the amount of air going out from the back & speed of the craft by green shutters alone. It's just the way the internal shutter was arranged on Shane's pic - it would be creating difficulties for the air passing through it.
Dec 08, 2017, 07:41 AM

Shutters

Yea your right about that Red Shutter. It's not needed that's why Peter did not use it. I think I did state that previously. I like your pics mate there cool. Peters drawing through me to as it makes the air chamber look split from the thrust chamber but it's not and bearing in mind his drawings were a work in progress and as we all naturally do, we make changes as we go along. Look at my drawing and you will see what I mean.
Last edited by Shane green; Dec 08, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Dec 08, 2017, 01:42 PM

Shutters 2

Getting the craft to lift of the ground with a peritharal jet is not the problem with theses machines. It's getting them to tern on a dime and Peter managed that really well with his split shutter arrangement. Yea your right, you can get a brick to fly if it has enough power lol. My mates oftern say that about there RC aircraft. And they are Two of the best in the world in that game. They fly there aircraft like a bat out hell and inverted helly flying. I prefer to fly closer to the ground using ground effect. In my case it's a safer bet lol. I really like Peters and Fredos craft. Esp Peters as it so much reminds me of the flying Deloren in Back to the Future 2. It's the way it hovers and turns. If I can get mine to work like that I will be a happy man. At the end of the day it really does not matter how you achieve your goal so long as it works how you want it to.
Last edited by Shane green; Dec 09, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Dec 10, 2017, 11:41 AM

Where is everyone

Hi guys, so where is everyone???? , that means you, STIEN, Fitylicks,, Peter aka Windsy, Fred aka Alien pod ship , johnboy, Phil (st Thomas school and Pompebled???? Is just not the same without you all.
Dec 10, 2017, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane green
Yea your right about that Red Shutter. It's not needed that's why Peter did not use it. I think I did state that previously. I like your pics mate there cool. Peters drawing through me to as it makes the air chamber look split from the thrust chamber but it's not and bearing in mind his drawings were a work in progress and as we all naturally do, we make changes as we go along. Look at my drawing and you will see what I mean.
I knew that letting the air right out of the pressure chamber (or receiver) is one of the ways to propel the craft. As you shown on pics, there in the pressure chamber in it's aft part you don't divide the air on what goes to the cushion & what goes to air jets. I don't like such idea, because, in my understanding, once you open the aft air jets, the amount of air that goes to the aft part of the peripheral jet will decrease - because the air would chose the easiest way to escape the chamber, unless you divide some amount of air specially for the cushion. Here on this pic I showed how.
On my previous pics by that pink opening I made sure that even when you have fully opened aft air jets & much of air simply goes to them, the cushion will still get its guaranteed minimum of air enough for the craft to hover, because that pink opening is partly under the fan, so some air will always go the cushion. And yet there's no strict dividing of air between what goes to the cushion & what goes to air jets. When the green shutters are closed whole air should easily go via the pink opening to the cushion. I think there should be some rudders installed in channels before the green shutters for better turning.
Last edited by DTAU; Dec 10, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
Dec 10, 2017, 03:47 PM

I understand

I understand perfectly well what your getting at and I did exactly that on my larst model and it simply did not work evern though I to thought that was the way to go. Because I arsked Peter the very same question. Thinking air pressure would be lost at rear of the craft. But Peter proved the case with his model so natrraly I have now adopted the same idea. There is only one way to prove the case and that is to put your ideas into practice. To do the experiment and I don't mean that to sound rude either. As they say the proof is in the eating lol. But keep at it dude. We will find out soon.
Dec 10, 2017, 06:38 PM
Are not men? We are DEVO! (7e)
as long at the rear thrust opening lets less air than needed to lift, your craft its going to be fine. sure if you use an under powered prop and motor and you will lose all lift.
baffles could also be used to restrict airflow used for trust if needed, to keep a better cushion for lift.
Dec 11, 2017, 08:12 AM

Common frame of reference.

Ok guys lets cut to the chase. As Mr Spok once said. "It is not easy to discus as subject without a common frame of reference ". Ie, if we all built the same craft then tryed different motor battery combos then we would have a common frame of reference to see what the diffrenceces in eficiantcy would be for design improvements. But we don't . The airodinamics of these machines have been discussed and debated on this subject so oftern in previous posts, I've lost count. And yet with all that talk I have seen nothing on how and why Peters model works as well as it does or any improvements to his concept. It wold be great if someone copied his ideas to the letter to see how they fair with it and then comparisons can be made. Correction, Alienpodship aka Fred is the only one I know that has used the same jet thrust system and his Tomestone model go's like a rocket. He's gone on to building a full size craft. It would be great to see what he's come up with, with that endever. And as for adding rudders, I tryed that one as well, set directly behind the air jets. I tryed Two then Three and it made no diffrence as the dame thing would still not turn. The stearing control has to be responsive because of the slide effect. I'll tell you one thing for shaw, theses machines don't like depressions in the ground as they cause air pressure loss wich cause the craft to lose hight and they shaw as hell to not like any gradients.so if you can not get them to have a responsive turn then the whole situation is a lost cause. Your will be fighting a losing battle. Look on Peters old site as all the mistakes I made to my cost are on there.
Last edited by Shane green; Dec 12, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Dec 16, 2017, 01:46 PM

Tests

Hi Guys. Update. I've had her up and running today. She hovers and turns on a dime but only one way at the moment. So it's down to tweaking her now. She needs moor weight at the front so I need a higher amp battery but same voltage, 11.1 V and I need to tweak the trough on the left shutter which means I need a slightly shorter push rod. Had to change motor out as well as the one I was using was faulty. Put an 1100KV in. Much better volume of air produced. I'm also going to replace my 30Amp ESC for a 60Amp ESC to prevent overheating. Learnt a lot today from doing this project. Hopefully a few refinements should do it.
Dec 16, 2017, 02:02 PM

Tests

Hi Guys. Update. I've had her up and running today. She hovers and turns on a dime but only one way at the moment. So it's down to tweaking her now. She needs moor weight at the front so I need a higher amp battery but same voltage, 11.1 V and I need to tweak the trough on the left shutter which means I need a slightly shorter push rod. Had to change motor out as well as the one I was using was faulty. Put an 1100KV in. Much better volume of air produced. I'm also going to replace my 30Amp ESC for a 60Amp ESC to prevent overheating. Learnt a lot today from doing this project. Hopefully a few refinements should do it.
Jan 02, 2018, 07:39 PM
Thread OP

Hey y'all

Hi! Wow, so much new stuff here since last time I checked, haven't even read thru half of it yet. Shane, I saw the pm, sorry to hear that, mate. Very good to hear you're okay. Gonna read through your posts now

Nice to see you guys are still here designing and building and sharing great ideas. I too, wonder how Fred and Petes projects are going

I guess there havent been much innovation in the hovercraft world, but there have been some cool home built multirotor craft,

World Smallest flying car Prototype (Gravity X) (2 min 1 sec)

chAIR -Manned multirotor:
Manned multirotor Part 20 -First Flight! (25 min 51 sec)

Although it doesn't really count as a hovercraft, lockheed martin/ Skunk works hybrid airship P-791 uses 4 small hovercraft as landing gear.

P-791 :
Lockheed-Martin "Skunk Works" P791 LTA ACLS dynmicpara (1 min 9 sec)

That's real footage of the acutal craft, which is nice these days when youtube is flooded with CG animations of ideas that will never be developed. It moves pretty fast too (for being an airship).
Last edited by Street racer; Jan 02, 2018 at 07:49 PM.
Jan 07, 2018, 11:53 AM
Hay Streetracer. Good to see you back. Enjoyed your post dude. I've been at a standstill at the moment . Cannot get my shutter control to work on the right stick on my transmitter. So the up is both shutters opera, fully down is closed, right is right shutter opern and left is left shutter opern. Sadly the RC side of things is not my fortae. I'm on a DX6i and I don't know how to programme it properly. As these things are mainly for aircraft, boats or cars. So until I can resolve this situation I'm stuck in Noman land. HELP. All the best to every one.
Last edited by Shane green; Jan 07, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply