Nov 30, 2016, 07:43 AM
just look at it smokin'

Ekranoplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street racer
Seriously!?? Trolling much? If not you should get your facts straight, a skirtless peripheral jet hovercraft, which is what this thread is about, is not a helicopter or multirotor!
hi, then the topic is misleading what you wanted to say then is an ekranoplan/hydrofoil/Peripheral jet AIR-CUSHION MACHINE

Early efforts
There have been many attempts to understand the principles of high air pressure below hulls and wings. To a great extent, the majority of these can be termed "ground effect" or "water effect" vehicles rather than hovercraft. The principal difference is that a hovercraft can lift itself while still, whereas the majority of other designs require forward motion to create lift. These active-motion "surface effect vehicles" are known in specific cases as ekranoplan and hydrofoils.

like the russian military big plane with wings cut off also referred to as "Caspian Sea Monster".

The Lun-class ("Harrier") Ekranoplan is a ground-effect vehicle, that is, one that takes advantage of the increase in lift and decrease in drag that flying close to a fixed surface provides—typically within 13 feet or less. These craft were created by famed engineer Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev at the Soviet Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau in the late 1980s. The only unit to be actually produced actively served in the Russian Army and Navy for over a decade beginning in 1987.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2016, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-matrix
hi, then the topic is misleading what you wanted to say then is an ekranoplan/hydrofoil/Peripheral jet AIR-CUSHION MACHINE
What?? That makes no sense and why are trying to create a discussion out of nothing? A skirtless hovercraft is a hovercraft. Period. If you wanna have a discussion about definitions please go somewhere else. However, if you wanna share ideas related to builiding skirtless hovercraft then your're welcome to do so Back on topic.
Last edited by Street racer; Nov 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Nov 30, 2016, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Hoping to see more of AlienPodShip's proof of concept.
Dec 15, 2016, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Perfect motor for a hovercraft(and any other aircraft presumably): Aixro XR-50 Rotary Wankel Sports Engine. Awsome power to weight ratio.
44 horse power, 17kg. What do you think?
Oct 23, 2017, 03:59 PM

Hi Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEIN1234
Where's Shane???
hi due I'm still here lol . Nice to know I'm still thought of. Had a heart attck so I've been off the radar for over a year now. Nice to see your all still at it. Felt I was building a lot and getting nowhere fast the last time I was here. Sadly lost me enthusiasm at the time. Sometimes you have to step back for a fresh outlook. I had run out of money to, to progress at the time. Anyway I hope you are all well out there. My best wishes to you all.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:24 PM
Hay Street Racer. How are dude??? Good to see you here and good on yea for starting a new thread. I thought Peters one had locked as it had not moved on from page 49 in over a year. I was wondering how you was all doing. As for rotor craft, don't you just hate it when someone try's to teach a Chicken how to suck eggs lol. We are all old hands at this game lol.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:06 AM
Hi guys, me again. I can not help but wonder if anyone has thought of using vectored thrust like a harrier jump jet. The only reason I've arsked this is because it's been achieved with an RC aircraft but there's no info on how they did it. Anyway it's only a thought not a sergestion for a deviant conversation as to its catogory. It would give the ground clearance if this idea could be utilised and forward drive.
Last edited by Shane green; Oct 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Oct 27, 2017, 05:46 AM
How the reversing & moving backwards is done on here?
Oct 27, 2017, 11:04 AM

Reversing

Peters and Fred's machines do not reverse as far as I know so I do not see why my machine should work any difrently from there's if built the same way using the flap thrust system . Which I may add works eceptionly well as there videos have shown. Getting a hovercraft to lift and steal is a feat in itself. Let alone revers. Control of these machines has always been there Achilles heal because of the drift faster like trying to stear a car on ice. Evern the large SRN 4s had a problem with it. I rember one when one got blown of course from Calle to Broadstairs instead of landing at Pegwell bay. And these machines have Four large directional fans. So reversing is really the larst thing to worry about. My advise is to just try and get you machine off the ground and to go in a strate line first if you can. I tryed to run before I could walk and I cost me a lot of money. Just take one step at a time and see how you progress. If I had followed in Peters and Fred's footsteps to start with I would not have made as meany mistakes. I would hate the same to happen to you. If your going to go with Peters design you could try putting flaps at the front of it so that when you close the rear flaps the air is pushed in the opposit direction giving you revers control. This is only a suggestion as I have never tried this myself . It's all trial and error I'm afraid. So all the best with your endevers .
Last edited by Shane green; Oct 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Extra notes
Oct 27, 2017, 02:24 PM
Ah, I see. Yeah, I did browse the other lengthy topic & there were videos of a excellent (skirtless!) working model.
I have a recuring interest in hovercraft for like the past 15 years - all I could was making a SR.N4, SR.N1, SR.N3 & CC7 models a decade ago - I was very limited to an ordinary (kinda heavy) 1.5V motor & 1-4 1.5V batteries & all that put on a small model - all I achieved was making them at least hover at one spot!
Yet I sketched lots of interesting designs over the years - all had a single motor (and most of them a single fan) which is meant to produce both lift & thrust. Out of curiousity I browsed many topics on here & videos on Youtube - although many appear to be successful models, there's still some that I wish was added or improved on a model was it me having that RC & equipment used in them.
In the model on your pic, I see the thrust is created by releasing the air from a high pressure chamber. There could be a deflector sort of added or a 3-position servo which either opens the stern flaps for forward move or opens some flaps on the front of the craft for reversing with closed stern flaps or has both front & stern flaps closed & all air supplied in to the cushion. It's not hard to add for example 2 air channels at sides leading from the main high pressure chamber under the fan to the front of the craft & have controllable openings there. Well, if you don't have the proper RC & equipment for it, then it's a different problem.
Oct 27, 2017, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane green
Hi guys, me again. I can not help but wonder if anyone has thought of using vectored thrust like a harrier jump jet.
What comes on mind is this Soviet hovercraft L-5 from 1930s -
Первый боевой корабль на воздушной подуш&#108 (1 min 46 sec)
& http://modelist-konstruktor.com/avia...ie-nad-volnami
It was of a catamaran design & had 2 fans which were blowing the air downwards on sets of deflectors which could divert the air forward or backward creating both lift & thrust. For it's time the craft was waaaaaaaay ahead any other experimental hovercrafts.
Oct 28, 2017, 08:27 AM
Love that film footage and the music to it. Seen it befor but a great design. I did wonder at the time how they steared it with such small fins at the rear. Be cool to see some drawings of its internal design. Surprised no one has made a model of it really. Or a working model that Christopher Cockerel made for his first experiments as that was skirtless. Thanks for putting that film up it was nice to see it againe. Sounds like you went down the same root as me as I to have been messing with theses on and off for over twenty years. I built an SRN 6 and a racer some years ago. I used two old RS 540's with two old Lipo packs on my SRN 6 and it worked well but the steering was a broblem as I had to increase the size of the scale rudders with clear as asitate to get a better turn. It was a greate model as I wish I still had it. It was based on Mark Portors plan, and stretched .
Oct 28, 2017, 09:10 AM

Drawings of the L-5

I found some drawings of the L-5. Thought they might be of interest as this is such a fassanating machine.
Nov 03, 2017, 11:19 AM

L-5

Sorry guys the pictures of the L-5 I posted are distorted and the craft looks shorter and sqwat. For that reason I am posting accurate drawings of it in case someone out there would like to make a model of it. Technically it's not a hovercraft in the true sence as it containes it air cusion between two solid side walls. I would say it's moor or less a surface skimmer. Whatever it's catogory it's an interesting concept for the time it was done.
Last edited by Shane green; Nov 13, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:40 AM

Get a load of these

Get load of these boys

Quick Reply