Nov 17, 2016, 09:06 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Discussion

Phonix Models Stinson

Well I purchased this model as a 6 cell 5000 "battery dump" .I fly most warbirds and with the occosional problems with retracts ect I wanted a plane to fly and dump my charged 6 cell packs when I have that occosional problem with a warbird.
To say I am impressed with the quality is an understatement. The quality, design and completeness of the kit is outstanding.
From TowerHobbies to my door for a $134 !!! I could not buy the supplies to build this plane from scratch for that amount , let alone finish this plane as nice as it arrives out of the box.
I have to make some mods for the larger battery appliaction but other then that it will be 100% stock
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2016, 12:34 AM
Looks great!
My great planes Cherokee had moore wrinkles then an 90 year old person.
Nov 21, 2016, 06:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
Looks like a nice model. It will be interesting see your impressions of the assembly process.
Nov 22, 2016, 05:54 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
So far :
1) Love the quality and completeness of the kit .
2) the plans are scarce and I would say it's an intermediate assembly matching the company's description.
3) I would not follow the instructions as far as motor /engine install. Personally I install my motor first before the tail so your not moving the tail around while installing the motor.
4) Really take your time on the stablizer because there is a gap in front of the assembly, so I measured 4 times before glueing.
5) all hold for all screws were predrilled and also CA was added for added strength.
6) the thought process so far in the overall assembly is top notch I am impressed with the easy wing attachment that is both rock solid and easy.
7) remaining mods include painting the white wheel legs red, possibly making the right seat removable for battery placement inside the fuse and adding magnets to the working fuselage door option.
Thanks for the interest guys , again the quality is so far beyond my level of comprehension because I have been living in foamy land the last two years
Nov 23, 2016, 05:41 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Ok so moveing along the thought process and the challenges so far.
1) the factory intended spot for the battery is lower front cowl exposed while flying.
2) my concern with this area is that most good 6 cells packs will not fit unless you cut the lower front cowl away. If you choose the factory intended area you will have a bettery and wires hanging from the nose dispite your best efforts to secure the wires.
3) the fuel tank area is litterally above the intended battery box, so by keep the fuselage door access open, you can easily incert a 6 cell into the fuel tank area with the plane assembled.
4) I tool the following steps in the process.
A) I secure the ESC into the lower intended Battery bay front lower fuse.
B) I cut a small hole into the area that allows the ESC Battery wire to sit perfactly at the right side door. This allows you to slide the battery into the fuel tank area and easily make a connection.
C) the fuel tank area is so large that the next step is to decide a simple Velcro system or a wood plank lock system, both very easy and the next steps left in the process.
D) At this stages before I ever make my secure battery system I want to check the CG to see if I would need to move the pack around. I have a feeling with the 6 cells and motor on the nose this plane will be nose heavy. The front end of this plane to the CG area is all solid construction but from the pilot seat aft the plane looks like a traditional SIG build stick and former build very efficient and very light weight.

So , last steps
1) check CG before securing a battery area
2) add wheels and decided if I will go to a larger wheel leaving the skirt off or use the stock wheels
3) Try to Find Oracover red spray paint to match the cowl and spinner
4) add a flight battery -removing the wire from the ESC assuming I will need the wieght for CG.
5) add magnets to the door for an easily removable option at the field to change the battery.
Nov 23, 2016, 06:05 AM
ARFs Are Me
Your assembly is going well, and the quality looks good.

It's too bad that the battery mounting had to be modified. I've noticed, on other dual power option airframes, that compromises have been made.

Easy battery access is an important feature, for me.
Nov 23, 2016, 08:45 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Thanks Tom, yes the battery challenge is a problem. I going to toy with it tonight and see if the solution I have planned is easily executed.
The interesting aspect is that I have a few high wing planes with wing supports held on with cumbersome screw type fasteners. The Stinson was redesigned with an easy pivot arm and cotter pin lock at the fuse. This is a great improvement vs the original model yet they did not test fit a typically 6 cell 5000 pack????
Nov 24, 2016, 06:28 AM
ARFs Are Me
Maybe electric power was an afterthought.

My Sig Rascal will barely hold a 5000 ma pack, and the wing has to be removed to get it stuffed in.

My Kadet Senior Sport seems to have been designed with electric power as a consideration. It has a big hatch, right in front of the windshield.
Nov 24, 2016, 08:10 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Yes agree all they really did was remove a piece of wood from the lower front fuselage and called it a battery box lol !
It's not a deal breaker but it is a pain is the you know what !
Nov 26, 2016, 06:22 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Progress :
1) note when adding the wing struts, there are no instructions for adding a pivot ball into the strut, use the process of elimination and you will not skip this step.
2)the wing struts mounting point appear to be glued rock solid to the strut making the mounting area very awkward. However with a simple twist from a set of plyers they turn into the proper direction. I mounted one without turning the hard point and it was a very difficult assembly. I then figured it out taking the change of breaking the hard point, however this concern was removed as they are meant to turn.
3) the Lipo now fits easily into the fuse, the ESC under the front cowl , all neat, tidy and easily removed and reinstalled.
4) battery hatch was created to seal the front end with high powered magnets

I see the last challenge will be achieving CG, this plane is so light behind the wing that I know I will be adding tail weight. I could not see an option of allowing the battery to move any further aft in the fuse.
Last edited by Ldm; Nov 26, 2016 at 06:33 AM.
Nov 26, 2016, 11:03 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Finally at the home stretch ! The magnetic hatch is on and working, painted the gear legs because white simply did not seem to match.
The only thing left at this point is a CG setting, flight control settings and my feeble attempt to match the Oracover with Rustolium "safety red" .
I may be able to maiden mid winter if the weather holds up
Nov 27, 2016, 06:21 AM
ARFs Are Me
She's coming along nicely.

I have a friend that is building a Voyager from blown up Hostetler plans. I believe that it will be a 42%, version.
Nov 27, 2016, 08:55 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Thanks Tom, I really enjoyed this assembly process. I am not use to an ARF that has the set screws mounted and glued in, motor retaining nuts in the correct place and glued/ screwed in.
Back in the day when I use to build kits, I enjoyed the wood working part of the build but never enjoyed the nuts and bolts part, it was just a nessasary evil.
I can see why your buddy is building the Voyager, I am assuming that this plane will fly like a dream and a 42% Voyager should be a real cream puff ! I need a plane to calm the nerves between my warbird flights
Nov 27, 2016, 10:29 AM
ARFs Are Me
My buddy builds warbirds, too. His Fiesler Storch placed highly at the Toledo Show, a few years back.

Like me, his favorite subjects are civilian types, though. He just happened to get to the Voyager before I did. LOL
Last edited by TomCrump; Nov 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Nov 28, 2016, 04:43 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
I am looking at all the planes that come up under the Voyager name and there are many options for kits and plans in larger formats. Excuse my ignorance but is the Voyager based on the Stinson or vice versa, the outlines of the planes seem so similar.
Back onto the ARF , a Google search turned up a good match, Rustolium Silver cans -safety red is an exact match for the red Oracover used on these planes, the only differance is the paint is somewhat off in shine but this can easily be fixed ( if so inclined ) with a simple top coat of gloss. I am happy with the final results as is and all that is left is CG and flight settings.
I will post the results in a week or so when work slows down and I am back in my shop, I am realy curiuos about the CG settings because I have feeling it's going to be very challenging.

Quick Reply