May 31, 2005, 09:09 PM
My experience is that the tx and rx are junk and glitch when the plane is 50 feet away. Swapping out the rx with a gws 4 channel and futaba tx works great. We can now control the plane and crashes are our fault instead of the equipments. It was very frustrating as a new RC pilot.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2005, 10:11 PM
I think I found my problem with the throttle not turning the motor off from this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5924

It turns out there were travel limiting plates on the throttle stick. I removed those this evening and will try it soon.
Jun 01, 2005, 09:18 AM
Bailsie
Are you talking about the BeginAir or the Wing Dragon? Basically one is the big brother to the other. I agree that the BeginAir is overpriced. The Dragon not as much so. If these planes were available without electronics for a lower price they would be a good value.
That being said, they are rugged trainers that can take the punishment that newbies dish out. Chalk it up to experience that the electronics provided are junk, replace them with any brand of quality TX/RX combos, and have fun flying!
Also, IMHO, the BeginAir is a little too "hot" for a first plane. It is more sport oriented and can be a handful.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Jun 01, 2005, 10:37 AM
I had good luck with my electronics, but I switched to a cheap Hitec to get a training port and because I felt like I was on borrowed time after reading the trouble others were having. I had a little trouble with the Hitec because I put the ESC too close to the receiver I think. Not probs these days- I got some carbon rods for the wings, new landing struts, and new wheels on the way. Hopefully my Dragon will breath fire in about a week.
Jun 02, 2005, 02:46 PM
hi
i have the begin air (it's called wing dragon sportster)
and i have no problems with the electronics.the only
problem i had was with the battery connector and it was fixed.
i think it's a great first plane but i do think u should have
a guide for the first two flights.
Jun 02, 2005, 08:41 PM
Gabimaor
Welcome to E-Zone! You will find a wealth of info here to enhance your R/C flying hobby! I am sure you will like the BeginAir as you get used to it. Keep your fingers crossed that you have a good radio system supplied with it. If you need help with anything just cruise around the various threads and I am sure you will find enough info to keep you awake for weeks!!
Jim
Jun 03, 2005, 11:45 AM
thanks for the welcome jim.
i already love mt WDS (wing dragon sportster).
i flew about 10-15 time and it's great.i think
i do have a good radio since i had 0 problems so far.
Jun 05, 2005, 08:55 PM
We had the best flight ever with the new radio 5-10 minutes. It was very nice. However we have found that to get the WD to fly straight we need to trim the rudder very far left. If the rudder is straight it makes a right turn into the ground after a hand launch. Totally uncontrollable. Is this normal?
Is there something I need to change or check? Should I care?
Jun 06, 2005, 07:41 AM
Vortex2001
That is very unusual for this plane. Something is definately wrong. Check to see that the wing is on straight and level. Make sure the elevator is level with the wing. Make sure the tail is perpendicular to the elevator. Another thing to check is that the wing is equally centered on the fuse. Check these things out and get back to us.
Jim
Jun 06, 2005, 11:20 AM
Wing Dragon file for Flying Model Simulator freeware . . author
Last edited by aeropal; Jun 06, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Jun 06, 2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks Aeropal! My cable should be here in 2 days, perfect timing.

I make sure everything is straight before each launch, however, when we glued the wing together it may not have been perfectly even. I'll double check since I read somewhere else that if one side of a 2-piece wing is twisted you end up with an aileron effect. That would explain it but if it is twisted it's very very slight.

The tail does have some play, in that it twists on the shaft a bit. Perhaps it moves on each launch? Do others find the same play or have you been able to tighten the tail screws tight enough to stop it? It seems like they will strip if I go any further.
Jun 06, 2005, 11:58 AM
Vortex
What you may find is that the tail boom is twisting where it goes into the body. If it is loose enough, it may be moving when the servos try to move the control surfaces. Or the control surfaces are moving the boom from air pressure as they try to alter the plane's attitude.
In this case, tightening the screws has no effect. You have to get glue down into that joint. Just make sure the elevator is level as in my previous post.
Jim
Jun 06, 2005, 02:30 PM
aeropal
thanks a lot.
please email me if u can,i need to ask u a question.
gabimaor@bezeqint.net
Jun 06, 2005, 08:10 PM
Skyshark,

It's not the boom, I've long ago had to glue and screw that in place. We got one with a cracked fuselage and the boom came loose after the 1st flight.

For what it's worth these are the settings I found makes the FMS version of the WD fly like mine.

0 1:Type(-) Type[0=Plane] ParDesigner Ver0.8
4 2:Tmax(N) Maximum Thrust
0.05 3rmax(rad) Maximun Rudder Angle
0.05 4emax(rad) Maxmim Elevator Angle
0 5amax(rad) Maximim Aileron Angle
3.0 6:CLmax(-) Maximum Lift Coefficient
-1 7:CLmin(-) Minimum Lift Coefficient
6.2 8:CLa(/rad) Lift Gradient
4.0 9:CLaSt(/rad) Lift Gradient in Stall
0.045 10:CDw(-) Drag Coefficient of Wing
0.04 11:CDb(-) Drag Coefficient of Fuselage
0.4 12:mug(-) Friction Coefficient of Wheels
0.76 13:dCDSt(-) Rise of Drag Coefficient in Stall
0 14:CM(-) Moment Coefficient
0.025 15:alpha0(rad) Wing Angle
1 16:b(m) Wing Span
0.2 17:c(m) Wing Chord
0.12 18:hce(m) Equivalent Center of Gravity
0.55 19:m(Kg) Mass
0.04 20:Izz(Kg*m^2) Yaw Inertia Moment
0.04 21:Iyy(Kg*m^2) Pitch Inertia Moment
0.002 22:Ixx(Kg*m^2) Roll Inertia Moment
0.04 23:She(m^2) Effective Area of Stab
0.03 24:Sfe(m^2) Effective Area of fin
0.6 25:Lt(m) Tail Moment Arm
0.01 26:VForm(-) Effect of Dihedral Angle
Jun 07, 2005, 07:09 AM
Well, all that means nothing to me. I just fly by the seat of my pants and try to help others as I go along. I was offering my experiences with my Wing Dragon but you have the situation well in hand. I am sure you will solve the dilema soon. Best of luck!
Jim

Quick Reply