Phoenix Models Westland Lysander 1/5 - RC Groups
Nov 16, 2016, 12:52 PM
Discussion

Phoenix Models Westland Lysander 1/5

Tower Hobbies has this are as a preorder for Dec and was wondering if anyone has seen or flew one. It appears to be a 2 pc wing which will be great if so. The only thing I'm a little leary is the price. Only $169 precovered arf, seems too good a deal to me. I did put an order in though. We shall see..
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2016, 05:31 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdean7
Tower Hobbies has this are as a preorder for Dec and was wondering if anyone has seen or flew one. It appears to be a 2 pc wing which will be great if so. The only thing I'm a little leary is the price. Only $169 precovered arf, seems too good a deal to me. I did put an order in though. We shall see..
I have my eye on this one. I have the Phoenix Giles 2O2 and Tucano. They are both very well made planes and fly great. Phoenix models are a good deal!I will use the electric option when I get the Lysander.
Last edited by huntingfield; Nov 16, 2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add
Nov 17, 2016, 10:14 AM
Is this the 74.8" Lysander? It's 1/8-scale.

Seagull make a 1/5 Lysander.
Nov 17, 2016, 12:15 PM
Yes, sorry I just guessed at the scale size.. its 75in WS roughly. I'll go withe a DLE20 on mine when it comes. Unless my zenoah 26 will fit that is.
Nov 17, 2016, 02:22 PM

Lysander

Hello i have bought this plane to.. it is 3m wing span..i will put on sn radial engine ASP 400...
https://www.lindinger.at/en/airplane...n-holzbauweise
Nov 17, 2016, 04:22 PM
Ok. I wondered if maybe they also were coming out with a 1/5 scale.
Nov 17, 2016, 10:37 PM
Ldm
Ldm
I just received the Phoenix models Stinson Reliant. The plane was $134 delivered to my house and they included a $15 coupon off my next purchase.
All I can say is that if the Westland is as nice as my Reliant then pull the trigger !
These planes are sweet and you can not even buy the materials to build at this cost.
I goggled the brand and came accross factory videos on the assembly of the planes and the process was both impressive and clean.
I was considering scratch building a Sig version from plans but why bother when you can have builder quality for 1/3 the cost !
Nov 18, 2016, 12:42 AM
LDM - Would you consider a build thread? Im abit intrested in that plane aswell.
Nov 18, 2016, 06:31 AM
Ldm
Ldm
FILLE,
YES going to do one but I think I have to post in the Sport Plane section of RCG .
I am going to do one starting next week.
The story started because I was printing a set of Sig plans for an Menonote friend that does not have access to the net. After printing the plans for him I was going to match his scratch build. In the process I was looking for parts that would match the sig plans and came upon the Stinson from Phoenix . As stated above , I can not take pictures that show the quality of the covering and the frame construction. The plans start out with instructions to "reheat the wrinkles" , well the plane does not have wrinkles lol, it's immaculate as far as free from any factory issues.
I don't want to hijack this thread so look for my build in the Sport plane section.
Nov 18, 2016, 12:32 PM
Arrowhead
I'd forgotten about the Phoenix Lizzie. Most of the plane looks pretty good from the photos. But the landing gear... ugh! Not even vaguely close to the full size.
Nov 18, 2016, 05:15 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Easily modified ?? or too difficult ?
Nov 18, 2016, 06:01 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Easily modified ?? or too difficult ?
Don't know. They look like they were stolen from a sport plane of some sort. Just blows my mind that they got the wing looking good but ignored another obvious trait. I rank it with making a Tempest, Typhoon or P-40 and leaving off the chin radiator. Or putting a plain straight wing on a Spitfire.
Nov 21, 2016, 02:00 AM
I also pre ordered one. still debating on gas or electric.
Nov 21, 2016, 04:56 AM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa54
I also pre ordered one. still debating on gas or electric.
May I ask you...what would posses you to consider electric over gas?
Nov 21, 2016, 08:14 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
I would like to get this plane. The advertisements recommend a .45/.55 nitro motor. A previous post said that a dle 20cc may be suitable. Would a gasoline engine of this size be feasible? If this plane could handle a gasoline engine of this size that is the way I would go. If not, I am considering a electric set up consisting of a rimfire 80 and two 3300mah 3s in series.

Quick Reply