TBD & BBCC8 - Another Goldberg Blazer - RC Groups
Nov 15, 2016, 07:23 PM
Build Log

TBD & BBCC8 - Another Goldberg Blazer

JeffMac inspired me with his Blazer entry.

I'll be building one myself, using the OuterZone plans and some laser-cut parts. I hope to finish up the parts tonight and be deep into construction by the weekend.

It will be FF with RC Assist - the radio will be only there to time the electric motor (E-Flite Park 280), pop the DT, and have rudder to steer it back home.

I'd really like to beat the 6 ounce weight they claim on the plans. I will be making some changes in construction, such as I-beam wing spars.

My desire is for this to be a Christmas present.

I've also entered this in [url="https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2772479"]the BBCC8[url] build contest.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Nov 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Add BBCC8 to the title & link
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2016, 08:18 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Now that's a great story worth my tyme! Thanks Andy!
Latest blog entry: Finally getting some airtime!
Nov 15, 2016, 09:23 PM
Where's the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It will be FF with RC Assist - the radio will be only there to time the electric motor (E-Flite Park 280), pop the DT, and have rudder to steer it back home.

Andy
Excellent idea! I keep meaning to try this myself, with a nice Satellite 1000 that was gifted to me. No place to fly large F/F stuff anymore, but this idea (radio-controlled timers and rudder-assist) will be just the ticket for the Satellite at my local club field.

I'll be following your thread, Andy.

Don.
Nov 15, 2016, 10:06 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Andy, I'll be watching your Blazer build, the 280 motor may help get to that 6 ounce arena.... balance weight is what I want to avoid my 250 motor can mount really far forward within the stock fuselage so that will help somewhat....they will sure look nice with the balsa cylinder...

best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Nov 15, 2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addtl
Nov 16, 2016, 03:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
You are certainly keeping busy Andy! Nice idea, all the enjoyment of F/F without the walking and lost models!
Nov 18, 2016, 04:26 PM
I originally was going to laser cut only the fuselage, but the more I worked on it, the more I wanted to laser cut the whole thing. That meant I had to draw more. And so, here are the plans I'll be working from.

You should be able to lay these on top of the Outerzone plans linked above and have them pretty darn close to agreement. I don't plan to spend any more time on them - use them with the scanned plans if you want. Note that the ribs are slightly longer, since I notched the LE and TE to accept them.

The only really significant change vs. Goldberg's version is to go with an I-beam spar of 1/16" balsa tapered from root to tip.

I hope to finish the laser file setup tonight and get some balsa cut. By Monday morning I'd like to have something to bring to show the guys at work.

Andy
Nov 18, 2016, 06:46 PM
who has rabbit ears down
So is this your laser or a corporate which you have access to Andy?
Nov 18, 2016, 07:59 PM
My personal one. I even did a build thread for it.

Since then I built another one almost exactly the same for a friend at work.

Andy
Nov 18, 2016, 09:21 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Very Kool and very reasonable cost! I love the orbital sanded finishing on those corner brackets! very muchness excellence of workmanship!
Nov 18, 2016, 11:09 PM
The kit is cut. Tomorrow I break out the Tite Bond. Or maybe I'll use some Ambroid...

Andy
Nov 19, 2016, 12:41 AM
The nice thing about your own laser cutting machine is that you can choose the quality of your balsa. I had a look at your build thread, very impressive. Good luck with your Blazer.
Nov 19, 2016, 11:15 AM
Construction has begun. It's a cold, windy day outside, but in my shop a nice balmy 70, so I expect to get a lot done.

I used a 1/8" sq spruce spar on the stab because I couldn't find my 1/8" balsa sticks.

There is a 1/16" spacer between the S1 ribs because that's where the fin will go later. This makes sure it's a snug fit for it.

Andy
Nov 19, 2016, 01:42 PM
While the stab was drying, I was busy putting all the little subassemblies together: Laminating F1 (the balsa behind the motor is mostly there so the motor mount screws don't poke things), bending and laminating F2/3/4, making the wheel, and making the pylon.

The pylon differs from the CG kit in that it's hard 3/32" balsa (the portion with holes in the photo), with a layer of soft 1/32" on either side. The outside portions are marked to identify the recommended balance point.

After seeing Brokenspar's link in Jeff's Blazer thread, I took a look at his photos there and think I'll adopt the 1/8" peg for the wing hold-down.

The next step was to frame up the fuselage. First, I dry fit all the parts together. I needed to make sure that the zipper corners fit properly (they might not due to the length changing as they bend. Fortunately they fit perfectly. I used tape in several places to hold it together. Then I opened it up like a clamshell and removed the formers.

Next you see the fuselage it will be nearly done. It's super quick doing this.

Andy
Nov 19, 2016, 05:13 PM
While the fuselage was drying I sanded the stab LE and TE. The hard wood used here is necessary, as it gets quite thin.

Next I went about assembly of the wing panels.

I started with the outer panel, outermost rib, and worked inward but skipping R8 and R1 (R1 will be added when the left and right sides are joined). After this, I added the shear web for the inboard panel, gluing R8 in at the angle. Note that this required sanding a slight edge to the inboard LE and TE stock, as R8 is angled several degrees by the web.

This is probably all I'll do on the wings for tonight.

Andy
Nov 19, 2016, 06:00 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Awesome Andy !

best regards,

jeff