Sep 21, 2004, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Question

Starting an OK Cub 049

Is there a "pull-string" method for starting one of these engines? Or, is it called a "starter-pull?" I've read references to this, but have no clue what it means.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2004, 07:44 PM
Herkimer used to sell a disc that could be bolted on the engine in front of the prop, which used a knotted pull cord which engaged a knotch in the disc. The cord did not stay on the disc, and mine sometimes would get caught up in the prop . Could be painful. In the early 60s, they had a couple engines with a recoil type pull starter built in. A hint in an old Air Trails mag suggested a medium sized screw-on bottle cap with a hole drilled in the center and a knotch on the rim could do the same thing. Frankly, I found flipping with my fingers to be faster, easier, and less bloody.
Sep 22, 2004, 02:04 AM
yep. Get em wet and sloppy and flck hard.

Even with minimal piston cylidner fit after too much sand ingestion they usually fire up.
Sep 22, 2004, 08:30 AM
My OK cub has a grooved disc attached with a notch in it for a knot so that a string could be used. I've never tried that method. Having a string dangle arround a motor spinning umpteen revs and my fingers attached to the other end doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Prime it up, make sure you hear it sizzle, then flick it!
Last edited by Ian Easton; Sep 23, 2004 at 11:46 AM.
Sep 23, 2004, 11:06 AM
Exactly. The few times I tried to use the cord, I usually ended up with string burns or cuts. Flipping was safer. Get your fingers out of the way quick, though. The one I had the most experience with turned a prop faster than my Space Bug 049.
Sep 23, 2004, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
So what is you overall opinion of these old OK Cub 049's? How do they compare to, say, a Cox Babe Bee 049?
Sep 23, 2004, 07:07 PM
Havin FUN
Little squirt of fuel in the exhaust port... drop of two in intake... connect battery.... and flipppppppppppppppppp your hear out...... more squirts....flipppppppppppp.... varoom.....flip flip varoooom flipflip flip flip...varooooooooooooooooooooom
Good Luck !
Don-Basehor, Ks
Sep 23, 2004, 07:07 PM
When they came out in 1949 they were competetive, but when Cox came along with his screaming reed valve engines, the OK's were no longer in the winners circle. They are a fun engine and certainly useful in some applications where lower power is desired. I've got one on a Dakota (sport F/F) and it does a great job. Jim
Sep 23, 2004, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
Just so everyone knows-- OK Cub Engines is still in business. I just talked with the grandson of the original designer. They are the only still-family-owned-and-run model engine company that still left from the 30's. He even has a book out on the history of the company.
Last edited by Serceflyer; Sep 24, 2004 at 01:23 AM.
Sep 24, 2004, 06:13 PM
I bought mine about a year ago - brand new. Runs just fine, and just like Blazer said, they're great where you don't want screaming - get up as high as you can- power.
Dec 18, 2004, 10:06 PM

Contact details

I have an old Cub 0.074 with a broken con rod, any chance i can get the contact details need to see if i can source the part.
Cheers
Steve
Dec 19, 2004, 03:06 PM
I don't remember the guys name but if you do a search on e-bay you'll find him, he sells cubs (new) and tons of cox stuff. I'm sure he can help you. If you can't find him let us know.
Dec 19, 2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I just found O.K. have a website and they still have a lot of old inventory, will be giving them a call tommorow to see if they have a rod for me.
Dec 19, 2004, 10:12 PM
Permanently Banned
Flipping bites. Especially your fingers. Get one of the cox spring starters, will make starting your cub easier. Great little engine, and there are all sorts of variations on it.
SOME of the Cub 049s are QUITE powerful. I have one that whups a Black Widow, for sure. But most of them are like a baby bee.
The only familiy owned engine company still in business? What about O.S.?
Dec 19, 2004, 10:28 PM
dont be a wuss.

What you do is place the prop jutst into compression, and swipe it with a pair of fingers.

The fingers are gone before the prop gets round to bite em.

Lord. Try a 3.5cc diesel if you want to see 'bite'

Quick Reply