Nov 15, 2016, 02:40 PM
resU deretsigeR
All I can say is, I cannot wait until Jan..
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2016, 02:44 PM
It's a nice upgrade in the actual copter. Slightly disappointed with the camera. Not a huge upgrade from the x5R.
Nov 15, 2016, 02:45 PM
Not going to walk that one off
Just off the scale this is, just glad can talk about it now.

Always thought it would come in at 3k plus, clearly DJI are defining the Pro area a bit further up the price scale and absolutely correctly so, the tech in this is just incredible, Love it.

An outstanding piece of work, Yes people will never he happy due to backwards compatibility but this is a massive step forward, the writing has been on the wall for a long time and people have had plenty of notice since the massive I1 price drops.

Cant wait to see this in the flesh.
Latest blog entry: DJI 5.5" Crystalsky Monitor...
Nov 15, 2016, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
It's a nice upgrade in the actual copter. Slightly disappointed with the camera. Not a huge upgrade from the x5R.
Its a massive step forward really, 100mbps to the card, 5.2K, what were people expecting lol

8K ? in a package this size its simply unbelievable
Nov 15, 2016, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell
There are some important things to remember:

1. The Inspire 1 remains a fabulous platform for shooting aerial video. Along with the X5R. You can still get great performance and images from both.

2. Technology marches forward. Always. Don't bank on anything to be backwards compatible or future upgradeable. The only thing I'm really upset about is that they didn't stick with the same SSDs from the X5R for the X5S. That feels pretty rough, considering they are likely nearly identical. But, that's life.

3. I do think Z3 owners are owed more of an apology/compensation for how long those basically were entirely useless. And Lightbridge 2 owners have been left in the cold on some features/functionality. It would be nice for DJI to more formally address those concerns. But otherwise, I think DJI does a pretty amazing job of innovating. If they constantly tried to make new tech compatible with old tech, it would likely take much longer to bring products to bear or we'd see some features being left out in order to ensure compatibility. Seeing the P4Pro with 100mbps H.265 and a 1" sensor, and the Inspire 1 with all it's great features, pilot cam, X5S with ProRes etc etc etc, makes me glad that they seemingly started from scratch a bit. The price, though seemingly high, is I think pretty reasonable for the feature set. 4k 60p. 5.2k 30fps. ProRes. Just an incredible feature set for a flying camera.

Anyways. I get the frustration. I've got multiple X5R SSDs that cost me $1500 a pop that won't be usable on the new X5S. But honestly in the camera world, you get used to technology marching forward every year, and every year spending thousands and thousands to keep up with the latest bodies, accessories, etc. That's just what happens. I for one, think the new features are worth the price. Clients will be stoked to see the options I can offer with an Inspire 2, and willing to pay accordingly. Remember, the Inspire 2 is a professional platform for making money. You'll earn the cost back soon with enough work.
I understand what you're saying and am very happy with the innovations DJI brings to the market but it's pretty naive of you to think that it would be hard for DJI to make the Inspire 2 backwards compatible with the Inspire 1 cameras. One one hand your saying how cool they are for innovating but on the other your claiming to would be too hard and too much time for them to make things work with previous products? I totally understand technology needs to move forward and that means things become outdated however in this case with these cameras it seems pretty greedy of DJI. Just throw us a bone DJI!
Nov 15, 2016, 02:54 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
The camera system is now in the body of the craft. Only the sensor is in the camera body.
Understand it will make the camera lighter on the gimbal, but is the rest of the "camera" upgradeable, or will the electronics that are on board be able to handle newer sensors?
Nov 15, 2016, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRacing426
I understand what you're saying and am very happy with the innovations DJI brings to the market but it's pretty naive of you to think that it would be hard for DJI to make the Inspire 2 backwards compatible with the Inspire 1 cameras. One one hand your saying how cool they are for innovating but on the other your claiming to would be too hard and too much time for them to make things work with previous products? I totally understand technology needs to move forward and that means things become outdated however in this case with these cameras it seems pretty greedy of DJI. Just throw us a bone DJI!
Come on, its 2 years since the I1, This is a massive development step, moving the processing onboard has huge advantages, things are obsolete in this industry in 3 months.

If people are not willing to accept that then perhaps the look at something else to do.
IS the fpv cam 5.8 analog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Its a massive step forward really, 100mbps to the card, 5.2K, what were people expecting lol

8K ? in a package this size its simply unbelievable
I don't care about resolution. Give me more dynamic range. More lens options.

5.2K vs 4K is moot. Most producers won't care. 100mpbs is only for proxies correct? I don't want to deal with an h.265 proxy. ProRes/DNXHD are the only codecs I'd use.

I did look into it a little more and there is a substantial bump in the RAW data rate. It's now ~4Gbps. We'll see how much more information that actually provides.
Operating Frequency 2.400-2.483 GHz; 5.725-5.850 GHz
Max Transmitting Distance 2.4 GHz: 4.3 miles (7 km, FCC); 2.2 miles (3.5 km, CE); 2.5 miles (4 km, SRRC)
(unobstructed, free of interference) 5.8 GHz: 4.3 miles (7 km, FCC); 1.2 miles (2 km, CE); 3.1 miles (5 km, SRRC)

looks like its claiming 5.8 also can do 4.3miles
Nov 15, 2016, 02:56 PM
resU deretsigeR
Any price idea on the Crystalsky?
Nov 15, 2016, 02:56 PM
Aerialist
Quote:
There is no way to put all the camera processing hardware in the I2 body and still make it compatible with the X5, X5R, XT, Z3, etc. If you look at the mounting plate, it has a totally different interface due to the data stream required to send all that info from the X5S gimbal/camera/M43 sensor to the SOC.
Nov 15, 2016, 02:59 PM
freelance videographer/DP
looks pretty cool, and amazing. i cant really justify the cost at this time unless I get some big AP jobs. I want the new stuff, it looks great, but I will have to fly my old I1v1x5r for a little longer, I dont "need" the upgrades enough to justify the cost. also I want to see how they perform vs x5r
Nov 15, 2016, 02:59 PM
Freelance Cinematographer
Quote:
Could they have made the Inspire 2 backwards compatible with I1 cameras? Likely. But, consider the fact that all the recording is now done in-craft, I'm assuming the quick-connector port had to be changed a decent amount. Maybe they decided instead of trying to figure out a way to make everything compatible they'd just make the new connector as best as possible. Or maybe they just decided they wanted to make more money by having people buy the new cameras. Although not ideal, they could do that and it doesn't make them evil, IMO. It's still a great product at a great price in my opinion. The Inspire 2 is a professional device, I'm assuming professionals are charging a decent rate for them as part of their business strategy. If you're not making any money from the Inspire series flight platforms and cameras, or are a hobbyist and prefer not to spend the money, the P4Pro is a great option too IMO. I think the new features will easily warrant professionals the ability to charge an appropriate day kit rate and make back the purchase price quickly.
Nov 15, 2016, 03:06 PM
Looks interesting, but I get the feel the Inspire 2 doesn't have the same enthusiasm as the I1. A lot of what they did makes sense, and I would guess from the I2 on, the camera options will all mount the same way, or at least it would make sense though. That move makes sense, as you then have less hanging weight off the gimbal.

Couple quick things come to mind.

What about Occusync and why does the Mavic transmit further (on paper) than the premier flagship? Maybe that was developed afterwards and couldn't be implemented in time.

I see a lot of "*coming soon" clauses on the DJI Inspire 2 details. Things like that seem to indicate they aren't completely ready

So now if you do truly have a camera issue, the whole works does have to be sent back in. Since most of it is inside the inspire now, that makes it harder to diagnose I suppose.

Can these run one battery? Wonder how much the CG is affected is so. If not, batteries are now $300 a flight then? ($159 a piece on DJI website)
Last edited by calde043; Nov 15, 2016 at 03:29 PM.