Jan 19, 2020, 03:09 PM
sillygoo.se
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmarian
Is that equal to 10% or 20% charge left ?
I don't think I've ever gone below 20%. I think 3.55V is about 25%. Using the last 20% is not advised in my personal opinion.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 03:11 PM
Quote:
I understand that. That's why I am asking how do I discharge the battery down to 10% (purely for the re-calibration purpose) based on voltage readings. If I can not be guided by the % meter bar, as that might be off, I am asking to what voltage should I go down to when hovering to discharge the batteries down to 10% and then touch down. That's all. Why is this simple question so difficult to answer?
I already know that doing this often might not be a good idea as LiPo do not like to be discharged that low etc etc. But if that should be done every 15 to 20 cycles (as blade recommends) to keep the % meter working reasonably accurately then it probably needs to be done and all I want to know what cell voltage during steady hover equals 10% charge left. Anyone knows the answer please?
Sorry, I thought you were refering to dji's %.
Last edited by Dave Pitman; Jan 19, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 03:20 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
Sorry, I thought you were refering to dji's %.
Now I am really confused .... what do we look at & go down to for calibration & per flight

Cheers, Jon
Jan 19, 2020, 03:25 PM
In the Go app, you turn on the option to show voltage. You use the voltage it shows you and not the %. Then you hover until it gets down to 3.55 v. Then land and power off.

https://blog.ampow.com/amp/lipo-voltage-chart/
Jan 19, 2020, 03:32 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
In the Go app, you turn on the option to show voltage. You use the voltage it shows you and not the %. Then you hover until it gets down to 3.55 v. Then land and power off.

https://blog.ampow.com/amp/lipo-voltage-chart/
Where is that at in the app. My I2 is packed & ready to ship. Looking in the app with my P4P does not have this option that I can find.
Update: found it Never heard of this here or anywhere.
Cheers, Jon
Jan 19, 2020, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwood
I don't think I've ever gone below 20%. I think 3.55V is about 25%. Using the last 20% is not advised in my personal opinion.
Ian I am aware of that and I always land at no less then 3.5V. But purely for battery % meter re-calibration purpose, we should discharge batteries down to 10%, right? I intend to do it by hovering the drone close to the ground and watch the individual battery cell voltages on battery monitor screen. And all I want to know is when to touch down based on the voltage which would indicate that there is 10% charge left in the batteries. If 3.55V equals to about 25% , what equals to 10% ? Is it 3.3 or 3.15 or what??
Last edited by mmmmmmarian; Jan 19, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojon
Now I am really confused .... what do we look at & go down to for calibration & per flight

Cheers, Jon
Jon, let's try to simplify this battery thing without splitting the hair ...

1. The most significant information about a given battery health is accessible on dedicated page of Go4 app. Here you can see cell's voltage at any given moment after powering the system.

2. Fully charged battery will show all cells topped up. IMO .05 V discrepancies are acceptable, no reason to be alarmed. Bigger voltage read-out differences may require deep cycling procedure for better balancing.

3. Now, give a short but solid kick on the throttle. Healthy, warmed up battery will show no signs of weakness, keeping voltages on green.

4. Exhausted (old) or faulty battery will exhibit drastic voltage drop when under stress, not necessarily equal on all cells. That's a warning sign, time to consider battery retirement.

That said, some batteries may still deliver enough juice after 150 charges and without need for deep-cycling. Other may show signs of weakness after 50 cycles. There's no pattern in it ...
Last edited by Matthew Dobrski; Jan 19, 2020 at 05:00 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Ian I am aware of that and I always land at no less then 3.5V. But purely for battery % meter re-calibration purpose, we should discharge batteries down to 10%, right? I intend to do it by hovering the drone close to the ground and watch the individual battery cell voltages on battery monitor screen. And all I want to know is when to touch down based on the voltage which would indicate that there is 10% charge left in the batteries. If 3.55V equals to about 25% , what equals to 10% ? Is it 3.3 or 3.15 or what??
Marian, last time I checked the recommendations for deep-cycling of DJI smart batteries it was said to leave the system powered and let the battery to shut down itself. That was practiced with TB47/48 batteries for Inspire 1, when demanded by Go app. I can't see why this should be carried differently for TB50's, but you'll be fine shutting off manually at 2-3% of juice left. I wouldn't worry much about it anyway, unless fully charged cells shows bigger than .05 V discrepancies. I've never experienced such, and I don't think if Go4 app is issuing deep-cycling demand message anymore ...
Jan 19, 2020, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Dobrski
Jon, let's try to simplify this battery thing without splitting the hair ...

1. The most significant information about a given battery health is accessible on dedicated page of Go4 app. Here you can see cell's voltage at any given moment after powering the system.

2. Fully charged battery will show all cells topped up. IMO .05 V discrepancies are acceptable, no reason to be alarmed. Bigger voltage read-out differences may require deep cycling procedure for better balancing.

3. Now, give a short but solid kick on the throttle. Healthy, warmed up battery will show no signs of weakness, keeping voltages on green.

4. Exhausted (old) or faulty battery will exhibit drastic voltage drop when under stress, not necessarily even on all cells. That's a warning sign, time to consider battery retirement.

That said, some batteries may still deliver enough juice after 150 charges and without need for deep-cycling. Other may show signs of weakness after 50 cycles. There's no pattern in it ...
What are you thoughts when all these signs are good, but the battery is slightly swelled?
Jan 19, 2020, 07:26 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

Official Inspire 2 ***Owner's Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by srandall25
What are you thoughts when all these signs are good, but the battery is slightly swelled?

Bin it. Swelling is as a result of the internal chemicals breaking down. I wrote a long post on it some time back Iíll dig out but the basics are itís electrolyte decomposition. There is no good outcome to that.

While there can be some mild puffing in and out of changes that goes a pack thatís swelled and stays swelled is going bad.
Jan 19, 2020, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Hmm, all 6 of my 2 yrs old TB50's are slightly bowed out on slider side, but it's like that since day one. If you can still drive'm in/out without effort and with assuring click of locking mechanism, I wouldn't worry too much about ...
Jan 19, 2020, 08:58 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
I have 16 batteries & none of them have any sign of puffing front, back, charged or not. 2 sets were purchased on 3/6/17.

Cheers, Jon
Jan 19, 2020, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Dobrski
Hmm, all 6 of my 2 yrs old TB50's are slightly bowed out on slider side, but it's like that since day one. If you can still drive'm in/out without effort and with assuring click of locking mechanism, I wouldn't worry too much about ...
Good to know. How many cycles do you have?
Jan 19, 2020, 11:42 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
Good to know. How many cycles do you have?
Mine Average 70.

Cheers, Jon
Jan 19, 2020, 11:51 PM
sillygoo.se
I've never deep cycled a TB48 or TB50. Personally, I think it stresses the batteries more than it's worth. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply