Oct 11, 2019, 11:48 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89ragtopgt
Is your Inspire on the latest firmware? What temperature are you calibrating the IMU at? I find the colder the better, I calibrated mine last winter at -17C outside and it has been rock solid. It maybe drifts to a maximum of 1.5 degrees on the roll but seems to settle back out. I just calibrated the IMU this week because it has been quite cold here in Saskatchewan at night, -8C. Maybe put it in the freezer overnight and try the calibration one more time. Then do the camera calibration right after the IMU.
I put it over an air conditioned vent for an hour before calibration. Probably at 60-65f. I don't have a freezer that big & I really don't think the colder temp would help in this case. The colder IMU calibration helps with initialization for the most part. My previous I2, RIP, Did the same as yours & I only did one IMU calibration at probably a warmer temp

With the way it acted the last time it flew, it feels like it could crash the next time I fly it. I just got through getting the last one replaced .... not going to chance it

Cheers, Jon
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojon
I always do cold IMU calibrations on a solid surface with a firm steady hold. 2.5 years ago, I went through 2 weeks of utter BS before they decided to replace it. This time I have been patient for 3 weeks doing everything I can. It ain't working & it does feel like a crap shoot to get a good one Maybe they should do some testing & QC

Cheers, Jon
No disrespect again but "Firm steady hold" could be part of the problem. The slightest movement in any of the prescribed positions pretty much ruins the calibration. The craft MUST be fixed steady in each position not held by hand!
Last edited by mmmmmmarian; Oct 12, 2019 at 12:08 AM.
Oct 12, 2019, 12:11 AM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmarian
No disrespect again but "Firm steady hold" could be part of the problem. The slightest movement in any of the prescribed positions pretty much ruins the calibration. The craft MUST be fixed steady in each position not held by hand!
Held in position on a solid surface .... not hand held

Cheers, Jon
Oct 12, 2019, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojon
Held in position on a solid surface .... not hand held

Cheers, Jon
My Inspire won’t stand by itself in sideway position unless I place books on its legs. If you are saying that you do the same or support it in a way that it stays motionless in each position without you supporting it with your hand then there is only one possible conclusion. You've got a dud (again...)
Last edited by mmmmmmarian; Oct 13, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
Oct 15, 2019, 09:08 PM

Status light gives 2 long red flashes

Today for the first I experienced two solid red status light flashes before take off and also during flight. The two long red flashes were followed by several normal green lights. According to the Manual solid red means Critical Error. Repeated red flashing means IMU error. But this was neither.
This repeating pattern had two about 5sec long red flashes followed by 7 normal fast green flashes. No warnings in GO4. Everything was otherwise normal. Batteries fully charged. The Inspire flew normally in Atti and P it just kept giving these 2 red long flashes in between the 7 normal green ones. Anyone else seen this? Any idea what is causing it and what is the Inspire trying to tell me? When I powered the I2 on after returning home from flying, everything was back to normal. No red light just the normal green
Last edited by mmmmmmarian; Oct 16, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
Oct 16, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Today for the first I experienced two solid red status light flashes before take off and also during flight. The two long red flashes were followed by several normal green lights. According to the Manual solid red means Critical Error. Repeated red flashing means IMU error. But this was neither.
This repeating pattern had two about 5sec long red flashes followed by 7 normal fast green flashes. No warnings in GO4. Everything was otherwise normal. Batteries fully charged. The Inspire flew normally in Atti and P it just kept giving these 2 red long flashes in between the 7 normal green ones. Anyone else seen this? Any idea what is causing it and what is the Inspire trying to tell me? When I powered the I2 on after returning home from flying, everything was back to normal. No red light just the normal green
Mystery solved! I tested this today by walking with the powered up drone near the boundary of the area where I experienced this yesterday.. Right on the edge where rhe map shows enhanced zone the Status Light started to emit these two red flashes followed by 6 greens. A few walking steps out of the zone and the patern returned back to green lights only. I repeated this several times and I managed to replicate this every single time. The conclusion: The repeating two long red flashes followed by 6 green is indication that the drone is in enhanced zone, or whatever it is called. GO4 did not give any warning though as the area obviously did not require any authorization or unlocking.
I wished this was mentioned in the I2 Manual
Oct 16, 2019, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Mystery solved! I tested this today by walking with the powered up drone near the boundary of the area where I experienced this yesterday.. Right on the edge where rhe map shows enhanced zone the Status Light started to emit these two red flashes followed by 6 greens. A few walking steps out of the zone and the patern returned back to green lights only. I repeated this several times and I managed to replicate this every single time. The conclusion: The repeating two long red flashes followed by 6 green is indication that the drone is in enhanced zone, or whatever it is called. GO4 did not give any warning though as the area obviously did not require any authorization or unlocking.
I wished this was mentioned in the I2 Manual
That's pretty much what I predicted before reading this second response from you on it... same thing happened to me once... except I thought I remembered figuring out what happened later by seeing the warning message in the Go4 app. Odd that yours didn't record a message for that.
Oct 16, 2019, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srandall25
That's pretty much what I predicted before reading this second response from you on it... same thing happened to me once... except I thought I remembered figuring out what happened later by seeing the warning message in the Go4 app. Odd that yours didn't record a message for that.
I found it odd too that GO4 did not give any warning message. In any case it would have been nice if DJI mentioned this in the I2 Manual so we don’t get a fright of our life when it happens first time. Like yesterday to me on location and in front of a client. I was not sure if I could and should fly thinking what if this indicates some kind of serious malfunction... Anyway now I know and everyone reading this will know too...
Last edited by mmmmmmarian; Oct 17, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Oct 17, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
I found it odd too that GO4 did not give any warning message. In any case it would have been nice if DJI mentioned this in the I2 Manual so we don’t get a fright of our life when it happens first time. Like yesterday to me on location and in front of a client. I was not sure if I could and should fly thinking what if this indicates some kind of serious malfunction... Anyway now I know and everyone reading this will know...
Two thoughts crossed my mind after reading your post:

1. How amazingly efficient is this geofencing technology.
2. How short is the leash we are on.

It's plain spooky, IMHO ...
Oct 18, 2019, 02:36 PM

T-Motor Carbon Fibre Folding Props

Some of you may remember me as the whining idjit who complained about problem after problem. Since then DJI rebuilt my Inspire 2 (everything but the airframe and motors!) including gimbal replacement. Yes, problems were found and rectified, and while it did help, it did NOT help the issue with camera yaw drift combined with the inability of the craft to fly straight. Regardless of calibrations, it would almost always veer, and the camera would show lateral motion in relation to the center. All the fixes helped, and then we all basically chalked it up to "I must live in a very magnetic area".

So all that work was done under warranty. Since it was under warranty, I delayed installing my T-Motor folding CF props from Florida Drone Supply.

Until last night. It was easy to get the screws out, no heat required, but I could see how it would also be easy to strip them.

Did a test flight just a few metres up, no camera. Nice!

Just in now from a "proper"test.

I sure wish I had recorded the I2 with the stock props. For those who report that there is no significant advantage in noise, I say to you that you might be wrong. Not sure that the overall level is lower ... but the "quality" of the sound is better. Smoother, sexier, even. That "thdthdthdthd" noise in hover is gone.

Hover is more stable. Like lots.

Camera yaw was still there at first, observable at 42mm, but stabilised.

Flying back and forth over the trees showed me the craft still crabs a tad, but the camera is a lot more stable, so I can target a treetop or mountain, for instance, in the center, and fly toward it, and my framing will stay close enough for me to keep without "bad obvious shot ruining corrections"

Not really sure why, or how, but one thought is that perhaps the stock I2 props were unbalanced?

This is a preliminary report, and I may have jinxed it, but I'm really impressed, and of all the "fixes" for the problematic I2, this one had the most immediate and useful effect.
Oct 18, 2019, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizamook

Flying back and forth over the trees showed me the craft still crabs a tad, ...
Hey, bud... long time no hear...

So... crabbing... that drives me crazy too. Many don't see it, including my top-notch photographer/videographer partner, but I see it very clearly. It's when the motion of the scenery doesn't make an exact 90 degree intersection with the bottom of the screen when in forward flight... right? Have you adjusted the center yaw position of the gimbal? DJI finally gave us that adjustment after much crabbing and begging. It's on the same screen as the roll adjustment. Is this what you're talking about when you see it "crabbing"?
Oct 18, 2019, 04:01 PM
Yes, that is indeed the issue. I have adjusted the center ad nauseum ... it was that it would not stay put. So what would be fine (despite the slow yaw pan that may be gone? I'll check again soon) the camera would turn as forward flight commenced, resulting in that feeling you get when you are driving down the road with your head turned to the side. But it's worse than that, since as a single operator, I can't control it without using quick composition framing tool, which does not' work with reveals ... the worst thing is that the aircraft was also literally wandering off to one side.

Now that it's published, I can tell you what it is, and in fact show you the problem. It may come across as artistic, but it was totally unintentional. Look at the Netflix "Our Planet" series, Season 1, Chapter 8, "Forests" ... all the aerials in the bald eagles segment are my shots. In fact it is this opportunity that made me pull the trigger to get this drone. The nightmare was worth it ... I get to see my footage with one of my long time true to life hero's voiceover over it. But anyway, several of those shots exhibit this crabbing BS.

I've another potential inquiry regarding more similar footage, which is why I'm working with the thing again.

The Mavic 2 Pro does it also, but not as bad, and not as often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Hey, bud... long time no hear...

So... crabbing... that drives me crazy too. Many don't see it, including my top-notch photographer/videographer partner, but I see it very clearly. It's when the motion of the scenery doesn't make an exact 90 degree intersection with the bottom of the screen when in forward flight... right? Have you adjusted the center yaw position of the gimbal? DJI finally gave us that adjustment after much crabbing and begging. It's on the same screen as the roll adjustment. Is this what you're talking about when you see it "crabbing"?
Oct 18, 2019, 07:29 PM
www.JonSmithers.com
My Inspire 2 of 2.5 years was not perfect, but it was a lot closer than my new I2 I just sent in & my P4P is a lot better ..... The .400 FW does nothing for anybody! Adjustments & calibrations galore did nothing! You would think DJI would have worked a little harder on this Hardware Issue! I bought the I2 right out of the gate, 03/02/17, & went through 4 of them before I got a good one ..... My P4P is better at being level than my good I2 was that I lost & 20 times better than the I2 I just sent in! Now it feels like I may be in for a long haul to find a good one again ....

I do have an I2 loaner from Florida Drone Supply, Thanks, but my horizon is a lot better on my P4P .... it is so infuriating!

Cheers, Jon
Oct 19, 2019, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizamook
Yes, that is indeed the issue. I have adjusted the center ad nauseum ... it was that it would not stay put. So what would be fine (despite the slow yaw pan that may be gone? I'll check again soon) the camera would turn as forward flight commenced, resulting in that feeling you get when you are driving down the road with your head turned to the side. But it's worse than that, since as a single operator, I can't control it without using quick composition framing tool, which does not' work with reveals ... the worst thing is that the aircraft was also literally wandering off to one side.

Now that it's published, I can tell you what it is, and in fact show you the problem. It may come across as artistic, but it was totally unintentional. Look at the Netflix "Our Planet" series, Season 1, Chapter 8, "Forests" ... all the aerials in the bald eagles segment are my shots. In fact it is this opportunity that made me pull the trigger to get this drone. The nightmare was worth it ... I get to see my footage with one of my long time true to life hero's voiceover over it. But anyway, several of those shots exhibit this crabbing BS.

I've another potential inquiry regarding more similar footage, which is why I'm working with the thing again.

The Mavic 2 Pro does it also, but not as bad, and not as often.
First, congrats on the "Our Planet" gig! I hope others see your work and more comes along. That's really exciting.

I've gotta say... we're lucky to be dual ops so it's never been an issue. My partner has gone out on his own and shot slightly skewed footage. As I said, he doesn't see it. But it's always a consistent angle. It doesn't drift.
Oct 19, 2019, 01:43 PM
Well thank you very much! It was a lucky break.

Here in my new location I don't fly as much or have reason to, so it doesn't make sense for me to invest more fully (a second controller/monitor) although I have considered it. I suspect that it takes a lot of time and practice to develop the teamwork and skills for dual-op though ... can't just hand the thing to a video friend and tell him to operate the camera!

Interesting that yours doesn't drift. Mine increases with speed ... really gnarly heebee-jeebies when flying through treetops!

Funny trying to convince people there is a problem and they cannot sense it. It's like going over to a friend's house and their speakers are wired out of phase. Or trying to express why vertical phone videos are a plague.

Anyway, I just popped on to say I really like the folding props, and am still thinking they improved things performance-wise.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
First, congrats on the "Our Planet" gig! I hope others see your work and more comes along. That's really exciting.

I've gotta say... we're lucky to be dual ops so it's never been an issue. My partner has gone out on his own and shot slightly skewed footage. As I said, he doesn't see it. But it's always a consistent angle. It doesn't drift.

Quick Reply