Jan 25, 2020, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojon
What does the log look like?
Plug : I still have one for sale. I now have a good I2 & could be without a backup P4P for a while.
Cheers, Jon
Haven't looked at the log yet. I already have a shipping label to see what fixing it costs. Probably ought to just trade up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
Bummer, MD. Are you sure you seated the pack correctly?

BTW, long time no see.
Yeah I've been using the drone mostly for work (sight surveying these days) and concentrating on my photography for the hobby stuff. I still do some videos but they are so time consuming...
All my batteries (that are left) have started to swell just a bit (not blowing up but just starting to puff). I know it was a sign to replace them but ... Anyway they are a little tight so i always snap them in but for it to just stop in mid air ... probably a disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Bum of all Bummers Sir..see post above..about 90% of that situation falls into battery..whether seated or charge side.....but GTO has good deals With your closing comment I am inclined to believe you wanted the upgrade and logs just might show you CSC'd???Hmmmm?
Well ... I haven't checked the log yet
Pretty sure it was battery failure of some sort. I've had them fail before but not like that. Guess what, when they fall out of the sky... they don't bonce
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 12:40 AM
Okay you spiked my curiosity: Log says it was a 15 second flight, I went straight up 21' and straight down. I had a obstacle warning at the top of my flight but there was nothing there
(and no CSC )
Jan 25, 2020, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLloyd
Okay you spiked my curiosity: Log says it was a 15 second flight, I went straight up 21' and straight down. I had a obstacle warning at the top of my flight but there was nothing there
(and no CSC )
Depending on it's position relative to the sensors, the sun can appear to be an obstacle.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:42 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Haven't looked at the log yet. I already have a shipping label to see what fixing it costs. Probably ought to just trade up.

Yeah I've been using the drone mostly for work (sight surveying these days) and concentrating on my photography for the hobby stuff. I still do some videos but they are so time consuming...
All my batteries (that are left) have started to swell just a bit (not blowing up but just starting to puff). I know it was a sign to replace them but ... Anyway they are a little tight so i always snap them in but for it to just stop in mid air ... probably a disconnect.

Well ... I haven't checked the log yet
Pretty sure it was battery failure of some sort. I've had them fail before but not like that. Guess what, when they fall out of the sky... they don't bounce (I corrected spelling )
I bet it did if you had video in slow mo..But those built in crush zones adsorbed most of it..Best of luck..any chance you can take a pic or two of the carnage. I clipped a prop on my P3P two weeks ago, (Barely caught side edge on sign of business) was flying about 20 foot up as well but was doing about 25 MPH it "spun" down and ejected battery...I'm looking at new shell (Already have) Gimbal mount to shell and ribbons/connections to camera at first look...so other than shell cost I'm looking at about $40 to fix myself...which I will do shortly and go from there. When you say disconnect I am assuming we are still talking power side? Have you tried to power on that battery manually to verify that batt has charge/works. Additionally what was temp, charge state on that battery at time of flight (When was it peaked charged to max?) Not that it matters really, just wondering what gave the glitch.
Last edited by Repaid1; Jan 25, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:51 AM
www.JonSmithers.com
Quote:
(and no CSC )
I did my P4P in 2.5 years ago. It went sideways at about 30mph & hit a wall. DJI charged $160 (included shipping both ways) & sent a new replacement

Good luck with you P4P, Jon

P.S. None of them bounce .... except my Tarot 1000 Octo when trying to land it the first time. It bounced for about a 1/4 mile before I could get it to land. Pid settings were still a little off

Cheers, Jon
Jan 26, 2020, 02:39 PM
Suspended Account

Questions for everyone

Hello all! I'm relatively new to the drone hobby and have some questions:
I entered the drone hobby about a year ago with a Mavic 2 Zoom. It was great. Recently, I bought a Phantom 4 Pro version 2.0. I wanted to have a larger sensor, and 4K60 was appealing. There are a couple of issues and I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on them:

(1) My Mavic 2 flies straight as a laser. If I have the grid on in the app and I hit "RTH" - it is perfect. My brand new P4P2 seems to fly a "little" crooked. I have done all calibrations (IMU, gimbal, etc) many times. I have refreshed the firmware. There was a firmware that came out about a month ago - the latest one - that is the one I am on. Is this a known issue? Or is it specifically my drone and should I send it back for a replacement?

(2) The props are pretty hard to get on and off. I press down, etc. Getting them off seems even more challenging. Should I replace the "propellor mounts"? Could that be causing this?

(3) I have a "Smart Controller". It doesn't seem to be able to bind with my P4P version 2. Aren't they both on the same transmission system?

Thank you all so much. This forum seems like a great resource and hopefully as I become more knowledgeable I can participate more as well. It seems like there might be some DJI employees here. I tried contacting DJI support about these things and didn't really get any answers. Maybe a DJI person will see this here? Anyway, thank you all!

Roger in Utah!
Last edited by RogerChan (SkyHighAerials); Jan 26, 2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added more information
Jan 26, 2020, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerChan
Hello all! I'm relatively new to the drone hobby and have some questions:
I entered the drone hobby about a year ago with a Mavic 2 Zoom. It was great. Recently, I bought a Phantom 4 Pro version 2.0. I wanted to have a larger sensor, and 4K60 was appealing. There are a couple of issues and I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on them:

(1) My Mavic 2 flies straight as a laser. If I have the grid on in the app and I hit "RTH" - it is perfect. My brand new P4P2 seems to fly a "little" crooked. I have done all calibrations (IMU, gimbal, etc) many times. I have refreshed the firmware. There was a firmware that came out about a month ago - the latest one - that is the one I am on. Is this a known issue? Or is it specifically my drone and should I send it back for a replacement? There are some issues reported with the P4P, but I don't recall RTH flying crooked being one of them....are you talking the aircraft is Yawed and flying straight to home or are you saying it is flying a ARC path to home. Yaw can be corrected in flight with left stick (Mode 2) During RTH, in fact you can spin it 360 degrees while it flys home, ARC might be that the P4P has a substantial side wind loading compared to the M2, and is trying to be blown off course and the P4 compensates during flight..Both of these are just Spitballing

(2) The props are pretty hard to get on and off. I press down, etc. Getting them off seems even more challenging. Should I replace the "propellor mounts"? Could that be causing this? Not sure what your meaning by "hard" they should just go on press down lightly and rotate to lock and reverse procedure to remove. Perhaps your pressing to hard or not hard enough? They will loosen up a bit over time and get a tad easier regardless

(3) I have a "Smart Controller". It doesn't seem to be able to bind with my P4P version 2. Aren't they both on the same transmission system? The Smart Controller only Supports M2 at this time, conceivably with a future firmware it "Could" support the P4P V2...time will tell, as they just released the P4P again..things look good on that end it may be.

Thank you all so much. This forum seems like a great resource and hopefully as I become more knowledgeable I can participate more as well. It seems like there might be some DJI employees here. I tried contacting DJI support about these things and didn't really get any answers. Maybe a DJI person will see this here? Anyway, thank you all!

Roger in Utah!
See Above in RED.
Jan 26, 2020, 04:35 PM

Damage Assessment

Damage Assessment

Drone damage assessment (4 min 1 sec)
Jan 26, 2020, 05:33 PM
Quote:
That radio DJ part was hilarious....The crash wasn't mind you....The ill fitting battery is a bit odd huh? But at this juncture (Post Crash) that would be a bit subjective, although as you pointed out doesn't really show any impact/shell damage... looks like Ye' Ole' landing gear took it at the "Crumble zone." That sensor thing is a new one... I take it they are not operative, given your warning in App? I wonder when you get replacement if you could fit some cover over them for when your flying in the saltwater mist areas, and then remove when area improves to save them on next? Hey... Just Spitballing here, but maybe you could adapt these and mod the landing gear?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-110mm-....c100008.m2219 Sorry..just trying to cheer ya up a bit. They say low altitude...wonder how low? https://parazero.com/products/safeair-for-dji-phantom/

Wonder what you would have if you had one of these on it? Worse.... better? Anyway caught your cold...going to lay down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Gimbal-...QAAOSwpkJc1bA-
Last edited by Repaid1; Jan 26, 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
See Above in RED.
Thank you for your response. Let me be more specific:
RTH returns in a straight line. Just as it should. But It appears the nose isn't headed perfectly forward. Yes, you have to adjust the yaw. But it doesn't appear to fly perfectly "straight" if that makes sense. But it isn't a "curved" flight, you just have to yaw the bird to appear to fly straight.

(1) You can see this by putting on a grid and center point in the app. If the nose is straight, it should always be flying directly at the center point.

(2) In terms of the propellers: It is quite hard to rotate once you push down. And the reverse is a little challenging. It just seems a bit tough - hopefully they will get easier and loosen up with time. I just thought maybe the prop mounts were making it a bit tough, but hopefully as you say they will loosen up a bit with time.

(3) Well I hope there will be Smart RC support. I had a chance to read some of the above posts here and is seems as though "BladeStrike" works for DJI? He said they are coming out with a new firmware to fix a yaw "bug"? Wondering if it is the issue I'm talking about... And he said they will support the Smart RC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding him - but I would think this "new" firmware was not the one released a few weeks back.

Anyhow, thank you all!
Jan 26, 2020, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Thank you for your response. Let me be more specific:
RTH returns in a straight line. Just as it should. But It appears the nose isn't headed perfectly forward. Yes, you have to adjust the yaw. But it doesn't appear to fly perfectly "straight" if that makes sense.

(3) Well I hope there will be Smart RC support. I had a chance to read some of the above posts here and is seems as though "BladeStrike" works for DJI? He said they are coming out with a new firmware to fix a yaw "bug"? Wondering if it is the issue I'm talking about... And he said they will support the Smart RC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding him - but I would think this "new" firmware was not the one released a few weeks back.

Anyhow, thank you all!
Yes Blade (Ken) and another gentleman named Ed, both were here for some years, they subsequently moved to a new division of DJI and FarceBook support. It was good to see him back for sure. The Yaw issue he described wasn't yours per say, BUT...it may very well solve your issue, again I may have missed it, but don't recall anyone bringing that up before as RTH is RTH...but agree it should probably align nose to home...so not sure where your "issue" would lye..but at this point I would worry about it, unless you want to...might be more trouble than it is worth to get a replacement. Will let someone with A P4P ( I only had a P4) chime in if they have seen it on theirs. As to firmware, I think you would see that on both ends probably one to the P4P and the other to the Smart controller so that isn't out yet. Till Then just give it a nudge on left stick, unless of course you have a disconnect RTH
Jan 26, 2020, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Yes Blade (Ken) and another gentleman named Ed, both were here for some years, they subsequently moved to a new division of DJI and FarceBook support. It was good to see him back for sure. The Yaw issue he described wasn't yours per say, BUT...it may very well solve your issue, again I may have missed it, but don't recall anyone bringing that up before as RTH is RTH...but agree it should probably align nose to home...so not sure where your "issue" would lye..but at this point I would worry about it, unless you want to...might be more trouble than it is worth to get a replacement. Will let someone with A P4P ( I only had a P4) chime in if they have seen it on theirs. As to firmware, I think you would see that on both ends probably one to the P4P and the other to the Smart controller so that isn't out yet. Till Then just give it a nudge on left stick, unless of course you have a disconnect RTH
Thank you again Sir. Hopefully blade strike can chime in here and confirm if there is any upcoming firmware for the Phantom 4 Pro 2 that will fix any issues that involve yaw - maybe this is one? It sounds weird but the Mavic 2 seems to fly straight as an arrow towards the center point, but the Phantom does not seem as precise...It's hard to explain. But I would love to know if DJI is aware of such an issue. I do have a window for return and I'd love to know if it is specifically my unit or if I should hang on for an upcoming firmware.

Roger in Utah
Jan 26, 2020, 06:55 PM
Quote:
That radio DJ part was hilarious....The crash wasn't mind you....The ill fitting battery is a bit odd huh? But at this juncture (Post Crash) that would be a bit subjective, although as you pointed out doesn't really show any impact/shell damage... looks like Ye' Ole' landing gear took it at the "Crumble zone." That sensor thing is a new one... I take it they are not operative, given your warning in App? I wonder when you get replacement if you could fit some cover over them for when your flying in the saltwater mist areas, and then remove when area improves to save them on next? Hey... Just Spitballing here, but maybe you could adapt these and mod the landing gear?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-110mm-....c100008.m2219 Sorry..just trying to cheer ya up a bit. They say low altitude...wonder how low? https://parazero.com/products/safeair-for-dji-phantom/

Wonder what you would have if you had one of these on it? Worse.... better? Anyway caught your cold...going to lay down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Gimbal-...QAAOSwpkJc1bA-
Ha ha. Parachute probable needed to be higher to work.
Maybe https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoCLxYQAvD_BwE
this would work
Jan 26, 2020, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Thank you again Sir. Hopefully blade strike can chime in here and confirm if there is any upcoming firmware for the Phantom 4 Pro 2 that will fix any issues that involve yaw - maybe this is one? It sounds weird but the Mavic 2 seems to fly straight as an arrow towards the center point, but the Phantom does not seem as precise...It's hard to explain. But I would love to know if DJI is aware of such an issue. I do have a window for return and I'd love to know if it is specifically my unit or if I should hang on for an upcoming firmware.

Roger in Utah
Set your P4P on the counter or ground, fire everything up including the TX. Without touching the sticks look at the camera and see if it's pointing straight ahead. I seem to remember way back in the past there were some issues with some cameras that were not pointing straight ahead.

Also, if it were me and I had a window of time to still return it I'd just go ahead and do it. That would eliminate any doubt and you never know how long DJI will take to introduce new FW (if ever) to correct it if it they even think there is a problem.
Jan 27, 2020, 02:17 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissortail
Set your P4P on the counter or ground, fire everything up including the TX. Without touching the sticks look at the camera and see if it's pointing straight ahead. I seem to remember way back in the past there were some issues with some cameras that were not pointing straight ahead.

Also, if it were me and I had a window of time to still return it I'd just go ahead and do it. That would eliminate any doubt and you never know how long DJI will take to introduce new FW (if ever) to correct it if it they even think there is a problem.
All good points. It did appear pointing straight but I can't get over that this may be a bug in my particular drone.

I agree that I should take advantage of the return window in case it is a defective unit. I am swapping it out for a different P4P2 today. And who knows if DJI will update the fw to fix any bugs - I mean, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but hopefully if it is, DJI will address it. I would hope if they are selling this in their stores and dealers etc that they will continue to identify bugs and resolve them - but in contacting them on the phone and in their online support areas, they weren't very helpful at all - that's why I was hoping to see if a DJI rep here would be able to chime in. Maybe they don't quite know the answer to those questions which understandably prevent them from responding. I did manage to see a friends P4P today and it is much easier to get the props on and off his craft than it is on my unit. Maybe I got a lemon?

Thanks everyone

Roger

Quick Reply