Taranis: Conserving Switches, Part 1 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 15, 2016, 08:19 AM
Registered Taranis User
Mini-HowTo

Taranis: Conserving Switches, Part 1

How to Turn Your Backlight On and Off Without Tying Up a Useful Switch

In Mike Shellim's F3J/TD setups, both Version 2 (F3J_200_X and F3J_200_V) and Version 3 (F3J_300_X and F3J_300_V), logical switches L1 through L5 are used to manage the Calibrate mode. Calibrate is enabled by holding the right stick in the lower-left corner (assuming Mode 2) while activating SH↓, and it's released by activating SH↓ alone.

Also, in Version 2 the backlight is switched on and off with SF↓ and SF↑ respectively, via Special Function 4. This appears to have been eliminated in Version 3 but could easily be added by the user if desired.

The following is a programming method I use that leaves Mike Shellim's Calibrate mode untouched while allowing SH↓ to also toggle the backlight on and off, freeing SF for a more useful function. When your radio enters Calibrate mode, which is normally used when your model is indoors where you might actually need the light, the backlight will automatically be on. In other flight modes the backlight will be off by default, but can be toggled on and off by flipping SH↓.

This programming can be combined with my SetFail flight mode for setting failsafe in flight, which is activated by holding SH↓ for one second, resulting in SH having three different functions:
  1. SH is used to enter and exit Calibrate mode as per Mike Shellim's setups.
  2. SH is used to toggle the backlight on and off.
  3. SH (held for one second) is used to enter the SetFail flight mode.
Since logical switches L1 through L10 are already taken in Version 3 I'll start my example with L11.

L3 is an existing logical switch in both Versions 2 and 3 of Mike Shellim's setups, and looks like this:
Code:
L3  OR  L1 L2 ---- 0.0 0.0
When L3 is TRUE Calibrate mode is active.

To also use SH↓ for backlight control, add these logical switches:
Code:
L11 Sticky SH↓ SH↓ ---- 0.0 0.0
L12 OR     L3  L11 ---- 0.0 0.0
and on the Special Functions page, if you're using Version 2 then just change SF4 from this:
Code:
SF4  SF↓  Backlight
to this:
Code:
SF4  L12  Backlight
or, if you're using Version 3, add that last function to any open slot on the Special Functions page.

Now your SF switch, which I find to be easily accessible and useful, is freed up for a different function of your choosing. I currently use mine to switch between crow and flaps only.

Last edited by Miami Mike; Nov 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts