Nov 14, 2016, 12:27 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Cool

Modifying The Rui Peng RP-05 (Budget MERV)

I recently got this Rui Peng RP-05 1/16 Truggy to use as a driveway basher this winter. It seemed like a pretty neat little truck for the price, so I figured I'd see what it was all about. Here are some pics of it in stock form.

Another thing I like is that the wing is also a wheely bar.

For the first few runs, I mounted a little AIO FPV camera to the front bumper and drove it with my goggles. It's great fun, and this little platform lends itself perfectly to some backyard FPV bashing.

Now it's time to start making this little truggy my own One of the first things I do to any RTR vehicle I get is change the body. There are a lot of options out there for the Mini Revo, and any one of them will drop right on this chassis with little to no modification required. I've always been a fan of Team Blue Groove, so I went with their V2 truggy body.

Now I need to decide how I want to paint, and decal it. Once I get that done I will be changing the wheels and tires to something a little more aggressive, since this will be running in the snow quite regularly for the next few months.

I'm also looking into some other motor options. I want to put in something a little faster, but want something that will work with the stock electronics. My goal here is to spend as little as possible, but still end up with a good performing, good looking little budget basher. More updates coming soon!

Edit 12/12

I got the new wheels and tires mounted, and took it out for a pack in the snow TBG V2 Truggy body still isn't quite finished, but I'll post some updated pics as soon as the paint is done. Here's a quick vid in the snow.

Rui-Peng RP-05 1/16 RC Truggy (Budget Mini E-Revo) Snow Run (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by fastmax; Sep 16, 2017 at 07:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2016, 10:54 AM
Looks cool man, good luck...btw what motor is in there now?
Nov 15, 2016, 03:34 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Thanks! The stock motor is a silver can 390 I will probably change it to a 380 class with replaceable brushes.
Nov 24, 2016, 01:06 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Pics coming soon of the newly painted body. It's getting there, but still a work in progress I think I found my new motor too!
Nov 24, 2016, 06:48 AM
Buggy in style
Any parts compatibility with Traxxas?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Nov 24, 2016, 11:15 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Bodies, shocks, wheels, and tires appear to be the only parts directly compatible. I will be taking the truck to the LHS this weekend and comparing it side by side to the MERV and Traxxas parts to see just exactly what might be able to carry over.
Nov 25, 2016, 03:35 AM
cool little car, how fast does it go?
Nov 25, 2016, 09:16 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Top speed is right around 20 MPH.
Dec 12, 2016, 04:49 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quick snow run video added to first post.
Jan 06, 2017, 02:01 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Finally making some progress on the V2truggy body. Should have the paint finished today, and then I can get started on the decals.

Jan 07, 2017, 09:48 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Still have a few decals to do, but it's finally coming along
Last edited by fastmax; Sep 16, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Sep 13, 2017, 11:05 PM
s15
s15
Any updates on replaceable parts beside what you listed?
Sep 16, 2017, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15
Any updates on replaceable parts beside what you listed?
This intrests me too - currently it is very cheap on gearbest.
Sep 16, 2017, 07:32 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Many of the spares can be found here. The truck is well worth its current sale price. If you run it stock I doubt you will ever break anything.

Fixed the images, and removed the old useless Photobucket links.
Sep 16, 2017, 11:09 AM
It looks like an e-revo knock off, if the drivetrain parts fit, it opens up some serious options.

Quick Reply