Jan 15, 2017, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
I'm surprised! Has everyone gone over to brushless?
I feel that the sound of the brushed motors better suit scale boats than brushless motors.
I have some MFA motors which I ordered from cornwallmodelboats.co.uk and they are all great motors.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 06:01 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
I'm surprised! Has everyone gone over to brushless?
I can't speak for others Dodgy, this is my first R/C boat build and I'm building it the way most have built this particular boat with power train and all. I am going to try and go lipo rather than what most are using, which are nicd/nihms. But it might also depend on weight as well. I would rather blast with big heavy motors and large batteries rather than lead or similar in order to get it to ride in the water like scale.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears and as some would say all mouth as well, but I'm willing to shut that up and listen.

mike
Jan 22, 2017, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
I can't speak for others Dodgy, this is my first R/C boat build and I'm building it the way most have built this particular boat with power train and all. I am going to try and go lipo rather than what most are using, which are nicd/nihms. But it might also depend on weight as well. I would rather blast with big heavy motors and large batteries rather than lead or similar in order to get it to ride in the water like scale.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears and as some would say all mouth as well, but I'm willing to shut that up and listen.

mike
I think you might had difficulty getting Nicads - nowadays most people use NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) - which are a similar battery type.

LiPos are NOT similar. They are very light, much easier to damage, but have astonishing amounts of power inside them. They need to be treated carefully - the voltage per cell has to be kept in a narrow band - and if not maintained carefully they may catch fire or explode. If you are used to them, fine. If not, it's worth learning about them and their charging/storage requirements before getting any...
Jan 22, 2017, 10:09 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Thanks Dodgy, I used lipos in the past for my RC airplanes and had the old Lipo sack, military metal ammo can that I used for charging them, carrying them and for storage. I had switched from Nimhs to Lipos after getting a few and trying them out and found what a great weight saver they were and more power than nimhs as well as could hold a charge for almost for ever.
Jan 23, 2017, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Thanks Dodgy, I used lipos in the past for my RC airplanes....
Sorry to be telling you something you already know all about - but we often find that people interested in old boats have not been involved in modelling for some time, and might never have come across Lipos.

Actually, for boats, Lipos can sometimes be less useful than NiMh. Cutting weight down to the minimum is less important than it is for aircraft, and, in fact, adequate weight in the right place helps the boat sit properly in the water to the correct design level. A modeller was recently making some of my boat designs in Depron rather than wood, and used Lipos - the result was that the boat was so light that when it turned the prop came right out of the water and the boat became uncontrollable!
Jan 24, 2017, 06:33 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
WOW, I'll be that got some attention. But you are right, this is one of my fears with using lipos. I would hate to have to use dead weight to ballast the boat. I may wind up running a couple of nihm packs in parallel or one large pack. I figure it will take quite a lot of battery power from nimh battery packs to power these big honking 12v motors.
Jan 26, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
...But you are right, this is one of my fears with using lipos. I would hate to have to use dead weight to ballast the boat.
I use lipos in my boats. Some boats need more ballast, but with lipos I can choose where to put the ballast and in this way I can balance the boat very well. It's very hard to find appropriate ballast materials nowadays, so I use fishing lead.
Jan 30, 2017, 11:37 PM
Quote:
I received the two motors today for the Commander. They are a bit bigger than I thought they would be. But these motors should get this boat up onto plane pretty quickly. I had to order these from England since finding any decent brushed motors around the US is difficult.

mike
Nice build, the CC should be a nice build also. I build a1958 CC "Constellation" build by Marx toys. It was a plastic model kit that's about 29" long, it was originally twin battery powered motors with adjustable rudder. I installed new motors and radio equipment to be an R/C model. I too am old school and have quite a few 550 brushed motors laying around from my days of R/C car racing.
I decided to up grade to brushless motors and speed controllers but I didn't do all my homework. They looked good and ran good except they wouldn't run at slow speed, by the time you added enough throttle to get the motors turning over the speed was way to fast. Seems that I had the wrong motors and controllers to go slow.
So I bought a pair of 380 brushed motors and speed controllers running off of nicads. These motors should be more than enough power and speed.
I also built a Dumas "New Jersey" tug and had the same trouble with the brushless motors so I put in a brushed motor with reduction gears.
Keep us posted on your build.
Jan 31, 2017, 07:48 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Very nice builds, I especially like the colors on both boats.
Feb 08, 2017, 04:00 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I should be starting the 1954 Chris Craft Commander build within the next few weeks. I have most everything I need, now I need to research and see what type of fiberglass cloth and resin that I will be needing.

mike
Feb 13, 2017, 10:23 AM
Mike,

I'll be watching, perhaps finding inspiration to finish my C.C. Commander.

Bob
Feb 13, 2017, 10:33 AM
Hi Mike,
As a Scale Airplane builder of 45 years, I will be wanting to learn from you!
Joe Pierson
Feb 13, 2017, 05:02 PM
Crackin' Claws
Feb 13, 2017, 05:47 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson
Hi Mike,
As a Scale Airplane builder of 45 years, I will be wanting to learn from you!
Joe Pierson

Thanks Joe, this will be a learning experience for several of us, especially when it comes to glassing. I'm pretty excited about it myself since it will be a bit different than what I usually build.
Feb 13, 2017, 06:11 PM
Mike,

You and many others may have already seen this but I'll throw it on here "just in case". It's worth the watch if you have not seen it.

Bob

Fiberglassing Tutorial (17 min 20 sec)

Quick Reply