Nov 12, 2016, 06:29 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft Commander 36" Express by mtdoramike

I will be starting a build log on the Dumas Chris Craft Commander Express. But it will not begin until March due to needing to finish my current project. I intend to purchase and have on hand all of the necessary equipment as I go along before the build starts.

I have attached pictures of the Commander as well as my current project as well as my past project that was a bucket list item of mine. I have always wanted to build a tall ship model and donate it to a library or place for people to be able to view it, like it, dislike it criticize it or what ever without it costing them anything. So I built the HMS Victory which took over a year and a half or 2500 hours and then once finished I donated the ship model as well as the mahogany display case to my local Public library, who were gracious enough to accept it.

I have built about 30 or so ship models over the past 20 years and those models wound up in private libraries or corporate offices or lobbies.

I will be building this model to sell once finished so if anyone is interested, you can pm me. It will come ready to run.

mike
Last edited by mtdoramike; Nov 12, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2016, 06:42 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I purchased the Running Hardware from Omni Models. The running hardware package was about $70.00 shipped to my location. I plan on setting up this model to run on lipo batteries and two brushed can motors.
I also plan to use brass props rather than the supplied plastic ones.

mike
Nov 13, 2016, 09:46 AM
A great model Victory - and such a good idea to place it in a library where inquiring young kids can come and admire it.

I hope that it has some history attached, to inspire the next generation to learn, and aspire to creating similar marvellous objects in their time. But why a British ship? The US has many similar ships which could have been chosen to illustrate your own history...
Nov 13, 2016, 02:56 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Simple, I have always wanted to Build the HMS Victory. I have built two Constitutions in the past, one is sitting in the office of a Computer software firm in New Jersey and the other in the lobby of an Insurance Corp in CT. I don't like building the same model twice, but the second Constitution was a commissioned piece. But it was really nothing noble on my part because I always wanted to build the Vic with no place to really display it. But now I have and can go to the Library any time I want to visit the model. I also included a copy of the Anatomy of the Ship Victory, which I used to try and get as close to the actual representation as I could. My current project is a spanish ship called the Montanes, which I hope to donate to a local hospital.

mike
Last edited by mtdoramike; Nov 13, 2016 at 05:17 PM.
Nov 14, 2016, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
.... I plan on setting up this model to run on lipo batteries and two brushed can motors.
mike

Why use brushed? Brushless are more efficient, producing longer run times...
Nov 14, 2016, 04:56 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I thought about that Dodgy, but brushless will require modifications to the mounting hardware. I'm going to build this as stock or as old school as possible with the exception of the lipo battery. Then who ever the new owner is, they can decide to go brushless if they wish.
Nov 23, 2016, 03:23 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I found a battery that will work for my application and a Electronic speed control. I lucked up on the battery on ebay and was the only bidder and got it for $20.00 and normally it sells new for $70.00. The ESC I got for $25.00 on a pre Black Friday sale. It will handle two canned brushed 500-700 motors with forward and reverse.
Nov 24, 2016, 04:12 AM
Quote:
The ESC I got for $25.00 on a pre Black Friday sale. It will handle two canned brushed 500-700 motors with forward and reverse.
This is a great ESC for boats. You can set it to forward/reverse only without brake. I mainly use its single type (#1060) ESC in my boats. You should add a voltage alarm because this ESC just stops the motor when the voltage is too low. It is not funny when the boat stops in the middle of a lake.
Nov 24, 2016, 07:23 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcyard
This is a great ESC for boats. You can set it to forward/reverse only without brake. I mainly use its single type (#1060) ESC in my boats. You should add a voltage alarm because this ESC just stops the motor when the voltage is too low. It is not funny when the boat stops in the middle of a lake.
Thanks RC, I'll look and see if I can find one. I hadn't thought about that possibility. I just snagged a Low Volt buzzer on ebay.

mike
Last edited by mtdoramike; Nov 24, 2016 at 07:31 AM.
Nov 26, 2016, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks RC, I'll look and see if I can find one. I hadn't thought about that possibility. I just snagged a Low Volt buzzer on ebay.
I use the same type of alarm. It has a small button to set the voltage. You should set it to a higher level than the default one so it will alarm you before the ESC stops.
Nov 26, 2016, 05:00 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Thanks RC, will do.

mike
Nov 29, 2016, 03:37 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I just picked up a standard servo, rare earth magnets and the low volt buzzer to add to the parts.

mike
Dec 02, 2016, 07:20 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
This will be the name of the Chris Craft Commander when finished unless someone wants to put a deposit down on her then they would have the honors of naming her.
Jan 10, 2017, 03:29 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I received the two motors today for the Commander. They are a bit bigger than I thought they would be. But these motors should get this boat up onto plane pretty quickly. I had to order these from England since finding any decent brushed motors around the US is difficult.

mike
Jan 12, 2017, 06:56 AM
Quote:
I received the two motors today for the Commander. They are a bit bigger than I thought they would be. But these motors should get this boat up onto plane pretty quickly. I had to order these from England since finding any decent brushed motors around the US is difficult.

mike
I'm surprised! Has everyone gone over to brushless?

Quick Reply