Sep 23, 2021, 09:49 PM

Mods

After investigating suction of air from the back I found it happens at about 5kg thrust. Seems HSD repeated the mistake from F-16 by not providing enough airflow. Just compare intake and exhaust areas of the fuse. The tailpipe is apparently rated up to 160 size turbine. There's enough airflow for the turbine intake but not the tailpipe. So, I've added 2 cheaters on the top to supply air to the pipe which eliminated back suction and made cuts in tailcone for more realistic view.
The third photo shows how mains look like after 2 gentle flights from the grass. 6mm pin is made from the softest steel they could find in China and oleo link should be more compressed as there's not enough support inside the the tube without load.
Otherwise plane flies very well on 120 turbine - stable and not overly fast.
Last edited by Sockrat; Sep 23, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2021, 12:56 PM
So prior to the mods with the exception to the gear you were experiencing what? After the mods?
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
Sep 24, 2021, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
So prior to the mods with the exception to the gear you were experiencing what? After the mods?
See posts 307 and 329. If you don't fix heat insulation and add cheaters likely your fuse will look the same after a while even with 80 turbine.
After the mod nothing bubbles plus I have a feeling there's more thrust, especially at low speeds.
Sep 27, 2021, 09:32 PM
There are more than 10 in flying conditions in our club. All of these are vector version. The general consensus is if you put a larger than 8kg turbine in it, there is no need for cheater hole.

In mine, I put a Xicoy 120 so I cut some foam out to create cheater holes both on top and bottom before the turbine intake. In this case the turbine breathes normally, where in high alpha slow flight, the turbine accel and decelerates(responded to my throttle stick) smoothly. The only trouble is when landing on a wet runway after raining, water can get into the turbine and causes a flame out.

As we have tarmac runway, most of us remove one spring inside the oleo to make the landing gear a bit softer.

The entire oleo gear is made of soft material, not just the pins. In my case, I have 2 landing gears (under wings) that the wheels can do toe-out by itself when being pushed but the pins are still straight.
Sep 27, 2021, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber90
There are more than 10 in flying conditions in our club. All of these are vector version. The general consensus is if you put a larger than 8kg turbine in it, there is no need for cheater hole.

In mine, I put a Xicoy 120 so I cut some foam out to create cheater holes both on top and bottom before the turbine intake. In this case the turbine breathes normally, where in high alpha slow flight, the turbine accel and decelerates(responded to my throttle stick) smoothly. The only trouble is when landing on a wet runway after raining, water can get into the turbine and causes a flame out.

As we have tarmac runway, most of us remove one spring inside the oleo to make the landing gear a bit softer.

The entire oleo gear is made of soft material, not just the pins. In my case, I have 2 landing gears (under wings) that the wheels can do toe-out by itself when being pushed but the pins are still straight.
Can you show images of your cheater holes?
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
Sep 29, 2021, 07:35 PM
Here you go:

Quick Reply