Taranis: My Control Assignments for Sailplanes - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:41 AM
Registered Taranis User
Mini-HowTo

Taranis: My Control Assignments for Sailplanes

Here are my current Taranis X9D control assignments for sailplanes:

My radios have 3-position switches in place of S1 and S2, as described in Taranis: Change S1 & S2 to Switches. The switch positions are labeled S1↑, S1-, S1↓, S2↑, S2-, and S2↓.

My model memory setups are based upon Mike Shellim's F3J/TD Version 2, with substantial modifications, some of which are adopted from his newer F3J/TD Version 3 setup. You can find his competition glider setups at http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/f3j/.

Description:
  • SE Different Functions for Pure Glider and Motor Glider Versions
    • Pure Glider Version - Flight Modes For Winch Launching. Flap stick must be in full-up position.
      • SE↑ Zoom mode. A separate elevator rate for Zoom mode is included on the Inputs page.
      • SE- Glide (Goes to the flight mode selected by switch SA.)
      • SE↓ Launch mode. Uses a separately adjustable combi mix that reads the aileron stick directly and is independent of aileron rates.
    • Motor Glider Version - Motor Control Motor must be armed.
      • SE↑ motor full power
      • SE- motor half power
      • SE↓ motor off. SE must be in this position before motor arming is possible.
  • SF Select Landing Mode When the flap stick is moved away from the top position either Flap mode or Crow mode is activated, depending upon the position of SF.
    • SF↑ Flap mode (flaps only) with separate elevator compensation curve and weight setting.
    • SF↓ Crow mode (flaps down, ailerons up) with separate elevator compensation curve and weight setting.
  • SA Select Glide Mode This selects the flight mode when not in Launch, Zoom, Flap, or Crow mode.
    • SA↑ Speed mode (FM7) with reflex adjustable with TrmT.
    • SA- Cruise mode (FM0)
    • SA↓ Thermal mode (FM6) with camber adjustable with TrmT.
  • SB Elevator Triple Rates
    • SB↑ elevator high rate
    • SB- elevator medium rate
    • SB↓ elevator low rate
  • S1 Aileron Triple Rates
    • S1↑ aileron high rate
    • S1- aileron medium rate
    • S1↓ aileron low rate
  • S2 Select TrmR Function Selects one of three functions for the rudder trim.
    • S2↑ Adjust combi (aileron to rudder mixing).
    • S2- Adjust audio volume.
    • S2↓ Adjust aileron differential.
  • SC Open
    • SC↑ Open.
    • SC- Open.
    • SC↓ Open.
  • SD Variometer Plus Altitude Reporting
    • SD↑ Reset altimeter to zero AGL.
    • SD- Off.
    • SD↓ Listen to variometer, with altitude reports every 10 seconds.
  • SH Multiple Uses SH is the spring-loaded switch. SH↑ is the normal position, SH↓ is the position it takes when you pull it. The switch serves three functions:
    • Enter/Exit CAL Mode. To enter Calibrate mode (FM1), hold the right stick in the lower-left corner and pull SH↓. To exit, pull SH↓ without holding the stick in the lower-left corner.
    • Toggle Backlight. The backlight is always on in CAL mode, but in other modes you can toggle it on and off by pulling and releasing SH↓.
    • Enter SetFail Mode Hold SH↓ for one second to enter SetFail mode. Moving the right stick will immediately exit that mode. See Taranis: SetFail Flight Mode.
  • SG Different Functions for Pure Glider and Motor Glider Versions
    • Pure Gilder Version - Kapow Trigger Arming. See Taranis: The Kapow Trigger!
      • SG↑ Arming, step #2 - Switch to SG↑ with LS↑.
      • SG- Disarm.
      • SG↓ Arming, step #1 - Switch to SG↓ with LS↑.
    • Motor Glider Version - Motor Arming. Uses the same sequence as Kapow arming:
      • SG↑ Motor arming step #2 is to switch to SG↑ while SE is down (SE↓).
      • SG- Disarm.
      • SG↓ Motor arming step #1 is to switch to SG↓ while SE is down (SE↓).
  • LS Used In Pure Glider Version Only:
  • RS No function in either version.
  • TrmT Separate Functions For Each Flight Mode
    • Cruise mode (FM0) TrmT is a blind adjustment of the elevator compensation that will be activated when Flap mode is entered. It's useful for presetting the adjustment and then testing it. The same adjustment can be made while in Flap mode.
      • TrmT↑ Elevator down.
      • TrmT↓ Elevator up.
    • CAL mode (FM1) No function.
    • Flap mode (FM2) TrmT adjusts the weight of elevator compensation while in Flap mode.
      • TrmT↑ Elevator down.
      • TrmT↓ Elevator up.
    • Crow mode (FM3) TrmT adjusts the weight of elevator compensation while in Crow mode.
      • TrmT↑ Elevator down.
      • TrmT↓ Elevator up.
    • Launch mode (FM4) TrmT adjusts launch camber in Launch mode. It can work in conjunction with the elevator trim to achieve a camber setting and an elevator setting that work well together.
      • TrmT↑ Less camber, reducible to zero.
      • TrmT↓ More camber, limited by an adjustable global variable.
    • Zoom mode (FM5) TrmT adjusts zoom reflex in Zoom mode. It can work in conjunction with the elevator trim to achieve a reflex setting and an elevator setting that work well together.
      • TrmT↑ More reflex, limited by an adjustable global variable.
      • TrmT↓ Less reflex, reducible to zero.
    • Thermal mode (FM6) TrmT adjusts thermal camber in Thermal mode. It can work in conjunction with the elevator trim to achieve a camber setting and an elevator setting that work well together.
      • TrmT↑ Less camber, reducible to zero.
      • TrmT↓ More camber, limited by an adjustable global variable.
    • Speed mode (FM7) TrmT adjusts reflex in Speed mode. It can work in conjunction with the elevator trim to achieve a reflex setting and an elevator setting that work well together.
      • TrmT↑ More reflex, limited by an adjustable global variable.
      • TrmT↓ Less reflex, reducible to zero.
    • SetFail mode (FM8) TrmT adjusts the flap position for failsafe. It works with the other three trims to search for a good set of failsafe control positions to program into the receiver.
      • TrmT↑ Adjust flaps upward.
      • TrmT↓ Adjust flaps downward.
  • TrmR Three Available Functions, Selectable With Switch S2
    • S2↑ TrmR adjusts combi for the currently selected flight mode. Center trim is 100%. A range of 0% to 200% is available.
      • TrmR← Reduces combi.
      • TrmR→ Increases combi.
    • S2- TrmR adjusts audio volume across all fight modes. This is a good position to keep S2 in when not adjusting combi or differential.
      • TrmR← Reduces volume.
      • TrmR→ Increases volume.
    • S2↓ TrmR adjusts aileron differential for the currently selected flight mode. A range of 0% to 100% is available. 100% means ailerons go up but not down; 0% means no difference between up and down travel.
      • TrmR← Reduces differential.
      • TrmR→ Increases differential.
    • In SetFail mode (FM8), TrmR (rudder trim) adjusts the rudder position for failsafe.
  • TrmE Trim Elevator Elevator trim control is separate for each flight mode and is disabled in Flap mode (FM2) and Crow mode (FM3) to prevent interference with elevator compensation adjustments made with TrmT. (I decided to turn those trims back on after a discussion with Mike Shellim. See post #8 below.) In SetFail mode (FM8) TrmE has increased travel range to provide compensation for lowered flaps.
  • TrmA Trim Ailerons. Aileron trim is shared across all flight modes but is disabled in CAL mode (FM1) and stored as a separate setting in SetFail mode (FM8). The mix incorporates the bug fix that is included in all of Mike Shellim's setups.

There's a limit of 64 mixes per model memory. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by Miami Mike; Dec 31, 2016 at 06:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2016, 07:56 PM
Registered Taranis User
Here's the Open Office Spreadsheet that I used to plan my control layout. There's a version with the original knobs for S1 and S2 and a version for a radio like mine with switches for S1 and S2. I find it very useful for planning an arrangement before making changes.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Dec 25, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
Dec 26, 2016, 08:15 PM

Amazing work!

Out of all of it the one thing I really like is the Throttle trim for Launch Camber Adjustments. I find that sometimes I like to add or take some camber out when I'm standing at the winch. Its a simple elegant fix, similar to the JR series which had two trim levers on either side of the center face. One trimmed Ailerons and one trimmed Flaps in which ever mode the Mode switches were in.

Very nice work Mike's :-)
Gordy
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Dec 26, 2016, 09:31 PM
Registered Taranis User
Thanks, but I thought you'd go for the Kapow Trigger. Mike Shellim said that he added Kapow to his Version 3 setup because you requested it.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Dec 26, 2016, 10:23 PM
I used Version 2 in my Aspires with Kapow, and did a complete Aspire set up with Version 3, but haven't had a chance to fly it.

I don't think Version 2 had the Dif Bug Fix.
Gordy
Dec 27, 2016, 07:40 AM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar
I don't think Version 2 had the Dif Bug Fix.
Gordy
Yes it does. In the settings reference spreadsheet for Version 2 (f3j_20_SettingsRef.xls), at the bottom of the Mixers (V-tail) and Mixers (X-tail) tabs, there's this footnote:
Quote:
1 The default aileron trim processing in OpenTx can cause undesirable effects in certain circumstances. To workaround this, trim and diff are applied separately . The calculation of trim offset is done in CH21.
For a full explanation see http://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/diff/diff_bug.htm
Here are the first two lines of the original CH01 mix from F3J_200_X:
Code:
CH01 (RtAil) [I3]Ail Weight(+100%) NoTrim Diff(GV1) [Aileron]
 += CH21 Weight(+100%) [AilTrim]
The first line has NoTrim selected to prevent direct aileron trimming, which is then added in from CH21 by the second line. CH02 has the same first two mix lines except the weights are negative.

And here's the original CH21 mix from F3J_200_X:
Code:
CH21 (AilTrm) TrmA Weight(+25%) [AilTrim]
In F3J300_X Mike eliminates the CH21 mix and replaces it with a curve to provide the 25% weighting:
Code:
CH01 (RtAil) [I3]Ail Weight(+100%) NoTrim Diff(GV9) [Aileron]
 += TrmA Weight(+100%) Curve(6) [AilTrim]
However, in the f3j_30_SettingsRef.xls spreadsheet for Version 3, or at least in my copy, the footnotes at the bottom of the Mixers (V-tail) and Mixers (X-tail) tabs still refer to the CH21 mix even though it's gone. This is something Mike Shellim will want to correct if he reads this.

I'm glad you brought this up because, as I mentioned at the end of the post above, I'm running out of mix lines. Now I realize that I can eliminate the CH21 mix and free one up!
Dec 28, 2016, 08:00 PM
Apparently I had an old version that didn't include those lines.
You can free up another GV line by dumping the Combi adjustment, once set Rudder to Aileron is done, so that line sits there unused.
Gordy
Dec 31, 2016, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
However, in the f3j_30_SettingsRef.xls spreadsheet for Version 3, or at least in my copy, the footnotes at the bottom of the Mixers (V-tail) and Mixers (X-tail) tabs still refer to the CH21 mix even though it's gone. This is something Mike Shellim will want to correct if he reads this.
Now corrected - thanks for the heads up.

For the published templates, I like to keep the UI as simple as possible to allow for personalisation. So it's good to see the flexibility of OpenTx exploited to the max in the way you've done. One comment which we've already PM'd about is the disabling of TrmE in flap and crow mode - TrmE should be retained as it provides the 'base' trim setting (level flight with with crow/camber off). TrmT provides the variable trim component, increasing as crow/camber are applied. TrmE and TrmT are both needed where there's a mix requiring pitch compensation.

Mike, we've been in private comms, but I should say out loud what a carefully crafted and thought-provoking resource these posts are!
Dec 31, 2016, 06:48 PM
Registered Taranis User
Thank you!

I've edited the note about TrmE in the original post to acknowledge your advice and add that I've turned the trims back on.

By the way, I would never expect anyone to adopt my setup as a whole, which is why I've been describing each modification separately, and also why I'll probably never make my entire eepe file available to the public. This is a growing collection of my ideas for personalization, most of which use your setups as their foundation.

By the way, if anyone wants to try any of my mods and needs details on how I did it, please post here on my blog.