Nov 11, 2016, 04:41 PM
Sherpa
Thread OP
Help!

Charger or battery? Which is bad?

I am asking whether my charger is not setup or working properly or I have a bad battery pack.
Here are the specifications
Charger: Neu Energy X6+ Has the ability to charge: Nicad/ Nimh 1-5 cells Pb 2-20 volts Lilo/Lipo/Life 1-6 cells charge current 0.1-5.0 A Discharge 0.1-1.0 A

I use the settings of Lilo,Life,Lipo, charge at 1.0 A 6.6 Volts

The charger charges the battery pack to 7.2 volts and stops.

The Battery Pack is Li-ion 7.4 volt 3500 mAh Max volt 8.4 v 2C

I have used the pack throughout the year. I have charged and discharged the pack regularly. All the servos are High Voltage. I have flown the plane multiple times over 3 hours duration.

When charging the pack I have never had more than 1000 mAh put back into it. When Discharging the pack on the charge machine I have never had the pack take out more than 950 mAph.

So I have a few questions, Am I charging correctly? If not what am I doing wrong? If the charger is good and working properly, is the battery pack bad?

Do I buy a new pack, new charger, or both?
If I need a new charger what are your recommendations?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2016, 04:56 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
If it is terminating at 7.2 volts then you must have it doing LiFe charging instead of Lipo.
Nov 11, 2016, 05:17 PM
F3B
Seems likely!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Nov 11, 2016, 05:39 PM
Is this an 18650 Lithium Ion pack (I'm guessing Panasonic)? If so, treat it as a LiPo. Each cell should be charged to 4.2 volts for a peak charge. The way you are charging, you are not even reaching the nominal voltage for the pack. I recommend always balance charging.

You should get pretty close to the rated capacity when you do a charge discharge cycle if you discharge down to around 6 volts. I don't recommend discharging that low, but that is how the manufacturers get the big capacity numbers. I would recommend discharging to 7 volts. I would expect you to get around 2500 mAh at that voltage. Lithium batteries in general don't like to be fully discharged - it really cuts down on their life. In typical use, you will never get below 7.4 volts after use (assuming fully charged to 8.4 volts).

Hope this helps.
Tom
Nov 11, 2016, 05:44 PM
Sherpa
Thread OP
Thank you for your help and information. Yes I am using the 18650 Li-Ion pack and yes it was on the Life program which limited it to 6.6 volts.
I will try the Lipo at 3.7 volts and report back. Thank you again.

Rick
Nov 11, 2016, 06:47 PM
Sherpa
Thread OP
A Huge THANK YOU to those that responded.

I reset the parameters for the charger and now have put in over 3000 mHa . Sometime in the year I had reset the type of battery to LiFe and the charger would was limited to how much and what top off value it could put into the battery. All year I have been charging incorrectly. Fortunately I have not lost an airplane due to low batteries.

So my incident is a good reminder of ensuring you have all the setting correct when charging.

again Thank You for the great help.

Rick
Nov 14, 2016, 10:51 AM
If this is a Li-Ion pack, why wouldn't you use the LiIo setting because that is for Li-Ion packs? The differences between LiPo and LiIo are small.

Terry
Nov 14, 2016, 03:20 PM
Here is a good resource on understanding the different types of batteries and how to charge them:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...of_lithium_ion

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
Nov 14, 2016, 04:59 PM
F3B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TThroop
If this is a Li-Ion pack, why wouldn't you use the LiIo setting because that is for Li-Ion packs? The differences between LiPo and LiIo are small.

Terry
It's because the cut off voltage is 4.2v per cell, which is the same as lipo batteries. It's not a plain liIo battery it's something else slightly different.

Lipo/lifepo4/liIo charges are the same - constant current/constant voltage - the only difference is the voltage.

The difference between 4.1v and 4.2v is actually quite significant in terms if how much charge will happen.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Nov 14, 2016, 07:48 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
A lot of the new Li-ion use the Lipo termination voltage.

Quick Reply