Dash -100 build started, finally!! - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2016, 08:30 PM
Build Log

Dash -100 build started, finally!!

I'm off to a really slow start this season. It seems like everything is working against this build so far!
Moving into a small apartment and giving up all my equipment has knocked the schedule back a lot. I'm still waiting (6 weeks now) on a 7" band saw that I need to cut aluminum parts. A call today stated I should have it Monday.
Living in a small town now away from resources has made it far more difficult to acquire materials as needed. I simply cannot be running 30 miles every day to get bits and pieces.
I found out the $1200 mini lathe I bought has a POS chuck, with incorrectly ground jaws that allow .020 to .030 wobble. The comp I purchased it from carries no parts,and it could take 3-6 months to get another chuck (on my dime). Adding to this they are 100 miles away.
I have managed to get around it somewhat by using a live centre to hold pieces straight.
I'm using plans designed by Anton Eisele, drawn at 72", which I've had blown up to 96". His plans provide no flaps, or provisions for anything but wire landing gear.
It has taken several weeks to design a scale LG, and cut some of the parts and work it into the nacelle drawings. I'm using Spectrum 7040 retract servos on 7.4V for 266oz t to lift the LG
I just recieved an order from HK for props, servos, wheels (front), 2 T85zA Escs, 2 JR servo wheels (junk), and a ton of glue.
I will be using a pair of Sonic 50-50 -390kv motors for this, spinning 15" x 8" x 4 blade (home made) props.
I'll try to get some pic up shortly, but no really much to see as I'm stuck without the bandsaw.
I have picked a color scheme. I'll include a snap here. Doug B
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2016, 08:59 PM
Onward and upward.
Nice, Doug. Is that the DHC-8-100?

Randy
Nov 10, 2016, 09:03 PM
I eat glue
I feel yer pain! Living in Yarmouth, N.S., I have access to absolutely zippo as far as hobby supplies go. I have to drive to Halifax, 3.5 hours each way.
Nov 10, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Nice, Doug. Is that the DHC-8-100?

Randy
Yes, it is C-GKON, a 100 flying out of Toronto. Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Nov 10, 2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add
Nov 10, 2016, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I feel yer pain! Living in Yarmouth, N.S., I have access to absolutely zippo as far as hobby supplies go. I have to drive to Halifax, 3.5 hours each way.
My order to HK for $287US ended up costing $542Cdn! I even got nailed for GST on this shipment. The days of getting a deal from China may be over. The exhange rates right now are hurting too.
When I lived in Owen Sound, I was 10 minutes away from a metal supplier, and could drop into the only hobby shop pretty much anytime. The next closest hobby shop is 100 miles away.
After losing my Otter to dumbthumbs on its second flight, I spent quite a bit of time trying to convince myself to get out of the hobby.
That didn't happen, I need the hobby to occupy my time (especially in winter).
Once I decided to continue, I ran into these other frustrations! I am not and have never been a real patient man. Its hard to listen to suppliers make excuses time after time. I guess I'm old school (65), I don't give my word unless I know I can keep it. Few others seem to care.
Oh well, I guess I'll get the bulk of the wood ordered shortly, and get on with the Dash 8!!! Doug B
Nov 10, 2016, 10:59 PM
Is there anyone out there that might have access to a Dash8?? I would really appreciate some closeup picks of the flap systems. I would like to duplicate the system as close as possible. Doug B
Nov 11, 2016, 06:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Glad you're getting started Doug. Hang in there, gonna be a great build.

J
Nov 11, 2016, 11:36 PM
Onward and upward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley
My order to HK for $287US ended up costing $542Cdn! I even got nailed for GST on this shipment. The days of getting a deal from China may be over. The exhange rates right now are hurting too.
When I lived in Owen Sound, I was 10 minutes away from a metal supplier, and could drop into the only hobby shop pretty much anytime. The next closest hobby shop is 100 miles away.
After losing my Otter to dumbthumbs on its second flight, I spent quite a bit of time trying to convince myself to get out of the hobby.
That didn't happen, I need the hobby to occupy my time (especially in winter).
Once I decided to continue, I ran into these other frustrations! I am not and have never been a real patient man. Its hard to listen to suppliers make excuses time after time. I guess I'm old school (65), I don't give my word unless I know I can keep it. Few others seem to care.
Oh well, I guess I'll get the bulk of the wood ordered shortly, and get on with the Dash 8!!! Doug B
You build very nice, Doug. Hang in there. WE are all looking forward to this "Dash-8". If it stays light, it should be a sweet flying airplane.
They have a pretty skinny wing with the flaps up.

Randy
Nov 12, 2016, 09:36 AM
"After losing my Otter to dumbthumbs on its second flight, I spent quite a bit of time trying to convince myself to get out of the hobby".

By any chance was the "dumb thumbs" related to a barn roof? Where did you get the 7" bandsaw from Doug as I'm fighting with my own POS saw right now. Hang in there .. Subscribed
Nov 12, 2016, 11:48 AM
Hi kit builder! Yes, the demise of the Otter was related to a a barn and its roof. I had decided to approach the field between the barn and trees, basically a 45 degree approach from normal due to a wind change. I got the plane too far over, and down to 50-75ft. It disappeared behind the barn. Here's where the dumbthumbs cam in, I simply waited for the plane to appear. I should have nailed the throttle, and pulled up, but not this lad. I just watched (brain dead) as it hit the ground. Thats the whole disgusting (with myself) story.
The 7" band saw is a KING model, available through the Welbeck Sawmill. Hopefully mine will arrive this Monday. They are restocking them at the same time, so if you want one, I'd call right away. fwiw Doug B
Nov 12, 2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks Doug I'm going over to Welbeck this afternoon.

The 7" band saw is a KING model, available through the Welbeck Sawmill. Hopefully mine will arrive this Monday. They are restocking them at the same time, so if you want one, I'd call right away. fwiw Doug B[/QUOTE]
Nov 12, 2016, 05:21 PM
CH Spring
Doug.

No promises, but I have asked a former co-worker to see if he can come up with pics and diagrams of the flap system. The organization he works for produces their own training manuals. They have a complete file of pics etc. My guess is that what you need is there for the pilfering.

Cheers!
Nov 13, 2016, 12:08 AM
Thanks Spring!! I really appreciate any help I can get in this area. I intend to duplicate the action of the flaps, maybe not their mechanical complexity (somehow). Doug B
Nov 13, 2016, 09:09 AM
Finally got time to post a couple of pics. Not a whole lot ot show, but its enough to show the basic layout of the nacelles and landing gear design.
I now have both nacelles to the same points, along with the blue 1 1/2" styrofoam I will use for the tailpiece are rough cut. I need that bandsaw to continue!!
The main LG struts are completely hollowed out to keep the weight down. I'm actually considering cutting the 1/4" support struts down to 3/16" to lighten. The Traxis ball joints are incrediby strong with 4mm screws to join the rods and 3mm bolts for the pivots.Doug B
Nov 13, 2016, 10:16 AM
When cows fly!
Doug,
Love your builds! Looking forward to this one