Sep 20, 2004, 11:20 AM
Believer in Technology!
Thread OP
Rave

Is there an aerodynamically neutral plane that can fly at any speed?

I have flown planes designed to be flown slow and planes designed to be flown fast (and wings) and there is one thing clear to me. Slow planes perform poorly if you make them fly fast ( by installing better power system) and fast planes perform poorly if you try to fly them slow. Last week I flew Park Zone F-27 Stryker and was amazed by the performance envelope it has. I can fly it blazing fast level and straight and I can slow down to little over walking pace level and straight with same aileron setting. I can fly fast till battery cutoff without any fear because it can bring it to glide and land near me so slow without stalling. I can fly it in any wind due to the fact it tend to stay level regardless of wind speed.
What aerodynamic characteristic enable F-27 to perform like this?
It is possible to implement similar characteristics in standard planes or wings and how?
Your ideas appreciated.
Last edited by PrasadL; Sep 20, 2004 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2004, 11:33 AM
One thing to note is that the Stryker is not hugely fast.

I guess the reason we dont see a lot of planes that perform well at all speeds is summed up in the following "jack of all trades, master of none"

To handle low speed you need a low wing loading, to go fast you need lots of power, with low drag.

Fast planes tend to have low drag wings, which in turn dont generate as much lift.

The reason the stryker performs better than most at slow speed + faster speed is because its a flying wing design, they tend to perform well in a wider range of situations.

Ive seen brushless unicorns that will go 70mph+, but then float in a thermal and land like a feather.
Sep 20, 2004, 01:44 PM
Trapped in California
Everything is a compromise. If you want better performance in one area (and yes flying slow is better performance, just at lower speeds), you have to give up something else. All you can do is hope to achieve a wide envelope. You can't get something for nothing!
Sep 20, 2004, 02:42 PM
what about a helicopter, they fly at any speed.
Sep 20, 2004, 02:46 PM
God is good
So do blimps, but, like helis, they are not PLANES. The thread clearly asks about planes.

VP
Sep 20, 2004, 03:06 PM
It's the delta shape. They have very little frontal area, so can fly fast. But when you slow it down and pitch it up, the frontal area becomes very large.
Sep 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
DLC
DLC
If you design a plane with low drag, plenty of power, low wing loading and high maximum lift coefficient it will have a wide speed range. However, control sensitivity will probably change through the speed range.
Sep 20, 2004, 03:53 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it
look at any modern jet. they are designed to fly fast and slow. Obviously slow for things like landing and take off. They have for starters things like eurofighter have a lot of power and user delta wing shape, But all have what is clases as all moveing aileron/elevators. this is that the elevator and aileron are built in one unit. Therefore for banking the aircraft they work independently, But they can als work together for elevation.
Takes the tornado which has sweep back wings. Try incorporating some of the technology in supersonic aircraft i someway. I got plenty of info on things like this. Or ya can findit easily on the net.
James
Sep 20, 2004, 04:45 PM
What you want is an electric glider, like the Omei's that sell on E-bay. Kind of a "warmliner." They fly slow and they fly FAST.
Sep 20, 2004, 05:29 PM

variable wing area

a variable wing area will achieve both the fast and slow speed; a goal is to maintain the sufficient lift at a desired speed so the airplane will not stall. As an example the eagle can vary its wing surface for a slow gliding to a fast diving or a commercial airline slows down at landing with an extended lap. Just my 2 cents of observation.
Sep 20, 2004, 06:30 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
helicopter is about the most aerodynamically unstable aircraft there is. You have to constantly work on the controls just to keep it from wondering off.
Sep 20, 2004, 07:16 PM
Balsa to the Wall
You need a swing wing like an F-14 or F-111.

Chuck
Sep 20, 2004, 09:07 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Pigi 3-D, flies very slow, but also has some decent speed with the PJS 1000 motor and 12x3.8 prop, 3s lipo.
Sep 20, 2004, 10:15 PM
Believer in Technology!
Thread OP
Very interesting ideas guys, keep them coming. Clearly my question is about wing type aircrafts not Helis or UFOs. LOL. Thanks Viper clearing that for me. I think Kwok Yuís post come close to whatís happening because I clearly observe F-27 very its frontal profile when speed very. When it fly fast it stay level but when slow down itís nose pitch up increasing frontal area increasing lift. But it does not stall. It simply loose altitude. I fly Wattage Hyper-wing too. It flies fine under power but when slowed drop its nose and dive. If I try to keep nose up it tip stall. This is my first observation of an aircraft pitching up when loosing airspeed in order to stay afloat and loose altitude level if it couldnít.
Sep 20, 2004, 11:26 PM
It is characteristic for the delta wing to fly fast, but land slow. A normal fast wing is thin and sharp, and stalls abruptly at slow speeds and high angle of attack. Here is the technical explanation quoted from the following source:
http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Delta-wing.html

"Another advantage is that as the angle of attack increases the leading edge of the wing generates a huge vortex which remains attached to the upper surface of the wing, making the delta have very high stall points. The combination of these two features is a dream come true, as a normal wing built for high speed use is typically dangerous at low speeds, but in this regime the delta transitions to a mode of lift based on the vortex it generates."

Quick Reply