Nov 08, 2016, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro Sopwith Pup Balsa Kit spotted on Banggood

Just noticed this interesting item:

The style looks very similar to the Eachine SE5a Banggood came up with a few months ago, and that was definitely a winner. Interestingly, this one doesn't have the Eachine name on it, but I'll bet it's from the same source. The pictures show it with two motor options, one brushed and one brushless, but the close ups only show the bulkhead mounting of the brushless motor. I would hope that a horizontal mounting is also provided for those who want to take the brushed option.

If it's anything like the SE5a, it will be very accurately cut and produce a model that flies well.

I'm never sure where to make posts like this, as there are RTF and scratch build micro threads, but no kit thread that I am aware of. Do you think we should start one, or is putting it in the scratch build thread the right way to go? It's definitely not RTF.
Last edited by 1auriec; Nov 10, 2016 at 05:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2016, 06:22 AM
Looks nice
Pete
Nov 09, 2016, 08:14 AM
Closed Account
It's not built like a typical micro, looks heavy..
Nov 09, 2016, 11:23 AM
Not that heavy at 50 grams for a model spanning almost 15". Presumably that's with the brushless/larger LiPo set up. Mind you, it would be nicer still at <35 grams.

Pete
Nov 09, 2016, 01:36 PM
I agree with Peter. I did a Jin Sopwith Trip foam kit conversion to a Pup 14"WS and it came in at 32 grs. Jin's Triplane kit in foam is still an awesome bird and they both fly great.

Pete
Nov 11, 2016, 09:58 AM
Oh! Just love model
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one instantly. The Pup has been a favorite of mine since I saw the one flying at Rhinebeck as a 9-year-old, and I've been considering the Ares Pup, but this is more what I want.

I guess one could lighten it quite a bit by making a built-up stick-and-tissue set of wings and tail feathers for it, right?

August
Nov 11, 2016, 10:16 AM
Should be easy to do August.

Pete
Nov 11, 2016, 06:03 PM
flying beam
Wonder if it will be shipped in a box like the SE5a... hope so.
Last edited by blackmoon; Nov 13, 2016 at 08:05 AM.
Nov 11, 2016, 09:41 PM
Oh! Just love model
When mine comes I will post a review for in this thread. Watch this space!

August
Nov 12, 2016, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpercy View Post
It's not built like a typical micro, looks heavy..
Especially if they don't give you top grade, contest wood. They seem to be good at showing top grade balsa, in promo photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one instantly. The Pup has been a favorite of mine since I saw the one flying at Rhinebeck as a 9-year-old, and I've been considering the Ares Pup, but this is more what I want.

I guess one could lighten it quite a bit by making a built-up stick-and-tissue set of wings and tail feathers for it, right?

August
That sounds like a plan. Would certainly look a lot better with spar covered wings.
Nov 12, 2016, 11:39 AM
Oh! Just love model
I think so too.

Will have time to plan, since it is back ordered.

August
Nov 12, 2016, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec View Post
If it's anything like the SE5a, it will be very accurately cut and produce a model that flies well.
Excellent - thanks for the heads up. I totally agree with you about the SE5a. That whole series so far is just outstanding kitwise!! Best fitting die cut parts I've seen, especially the ply pieces.

Quote:
Do you think we should start one (a new forum), or is putting it [a kit] in the scratch build thread the right way to go?
I'd rather see ALL the Micro Models in this forum, including Scratchbuilt and Kit, both indoor and out. A simple name change would clarify the conundrum most of us have had regarding where to discuss micro kits.

In that regard, this forum had a name change around six years ago at the insistence of one particular member. Despite suggestions (including mine) to the mods at/since that time to clarify the forum title, the mods will not do it ... so I think you'd be piddling into a headwind trying to change the name to be more inclusive.

Gene K
Nov 12, 2016, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
Will be interesting to see the difference, August, but I don't think it will be much.

I'll personally stick with the kit pieces since one of the most appealing aspects of these kits is the precise fit of parts that make construction simple and precise.

Gene K
Nov 13, 2016, 06:04 AM
I'm with Gene on that. Micro is micro whether scratch or kit built and presently we all know where to find related topics - HERE!!!

Just to keep the thread 'honest' (in keeping with the forum title), and possibly provide inspiration for those intending built up flying surfaces for the kit -
Nov 13, 2016, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Just to ... possibly provide inspiration for those intending built up flying surfaces for the kit -
Pete's Pup plan is excellent! The "rest of the story" (Parts Sheets) are posted by Pete here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
I would hope that a horizontal mounting is also provided for those who want to take the brushed option.
I'm betting 100% it will. The 7mm brushed motor shown is available on Banggood, but unfortunately not the dual 7mm - they both use the same precise kit drilled mounting holes. After much searching, I got my dual motors from AliExpress, BUT they don't take Paypal, and the motors took over six weeks to get to me in US.

Gene K

Edit: some vendors on AliExpress do take Paypal now.
Last edited by speedy01; Dec 09, 2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply