IOM, US1M, ODOM, 1MULY and others? - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2016, 07:18 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Question

IOM, US1M, ODOM, 1MULY and others?

Hi all:

I'm just curious about how all one-meter LOA classes relate to each other.... I've already seen 4 different ones. Can you please help me understand their relationshios, which one is subclass of which?
  • IOM - International One Metre - this is the most known worldwide (http://www.iomclass.org/)
  • 1MULY - One Meter ULY (=Unión Latinoalericana de Yatemodelismo). This is sailed in Southamerica. Itīs a subclass of IOM, but specifies a one-design hull+appendages+sail plan.
  • US1M - United States OIne Meter - I see all spects in imperial units. Is this a subclass of IOM? Confused here. (https://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/)
  • ODOM - One Design One Meter - I understand this is subclass of US1M, and as the name implies, one design hull (https://www.theamya.org/boats/odom/)
Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by tarmstro; Nov 09, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2016, 09:26 PM
US1M is a stand-alone class - US1M do not measure in as IOM for a bunch of reasons, eg lack of bow bumper, fin/balast weight, all up weight, sail plan, more than two allowed control functions.

ODOM is a one design class that is also a legal US1M, based on a 1980's US1M. It is much heavier than current US1Ms.

John
Nov 09, 2016, 07:18 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
US1M is a stand-alone class - US1M do not measure in as IOM for a bunch of reasons, eg lack of bow bumper, fin/balast weight, all up weight, sail plan, more than two allowed control functions.

ODOM is a one design class that is also a legal US1M, based on a 1980's US1M. It is much heavier than current US1Ms.

John
Thank you! This clarifies my confusion...
Nov 09, 2016, 11:23 AM
The ODOM is relates the US1M in the same way the 1MULY relates to the IOM.
Quote:
.....Itīs a subclass of IOM, but specifies a one-design hull+appendages+sail plan.
Nov 16, 2016, 07:41 AM
Thomas Armstrong
One more question: What is the class refered as "USOM"?? Is that the same as US1M or differente?
Nov 16, 2016, 08:29 AM
this might be of use

http://www.iomclass.org/rules/IOM_or...nt_history.pdf
Nov 16, 2016, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
One more question: What is the class refered as "USOM"?? Is that the same as US1M or differente?
I have never seen the US1M written as USOM (where I assume O stands for ONE).

So I think they are referring to the same class, but the correct way to write it is US1M.

John
Nov 16, 2016, 11:59 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:

So I think they are referring to the same class, but the correct way to write it is US1M.

John
Same class.
Nov 16, 2016, 12:24 PM
probably a carry-over after seeing the ODOM called One Design One Meter
Nov 16, 2016, 01:19 PM
Quote:

John
Totally same class, just two different acronyms .....

I'm not so sure, though, that the correct one is the US1M, that's what is "generally" used now, but the "official" (as in " the name you find in the rules") class name us US One Meter ...... and the sail logo is "O" (old leftover from the original name "Olympic" class, before running afoul with the IOC), so ....... whatever you use is OK , I guess.

Oh, and the ODOM, came definitely after (it's a US One Meter "Mistral" build by a single manufacturer with specific, dimensions and tolerances ..... An ODOM IS an US One Meter, but a US One Meter is not an ODOM.....) so no carry-over on this one.
Nov 16, 2016, 04:23 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
ODOM, One Design One Meter. Came after the U.S. One Meter.
Gio,has got the history right. ⛵️
Nov 16, 2016, 04:35 PM
Also naviga has a class that is almost a copy of the iom. Not sure which one came first. Sailed in China with converted ioms and purpose built boats.
Nov 16, 2016, 11:29 PM
The Naviga class is the F-5E, similar IOM specs, but they do allow CF masts, and other small things .... They came out about the same time ....
Nov 18, 2016, 12:36 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Oh, and the ODOM, came definitely after (it's a US One Meter "Mistral" build by a single manufacturer with specific, dimensions and tolerances ..... An ODOM IS an US One Meter, but a US One Meter is not an ODOM.....) so no carry-over on this one.
I had always heard that the ODOM was a US1M Mistral hull, but at the last San Diego Race Week I spoke to George Riberio who had a hand in setting up the rules and built the boats for many years and he said, "It is based on the Mistrial, but I made a few changes."

He didn't say what they were, but they are not exactly the same so you could not sail a Mistral built to the original plans as an ODOM. You cannot anyway since the rules do not allow scratch built boats.

2.2.1 ODOM Class yachts shall be built from a kit, herein referred to as 'the Kit'. The Kit shall be obtained from a manufacturer approved by the Class Owners Association. The Class Owners Association shall maintain a list of approved manufacturers. (Revised 1 Mar 2004)
Nov 19, 2016, 10:06 PM
That's what I said ....
The ODOM is a US1M, but a US1M is not, necessarily , an ODOM.

Technically, you could register a IOM hull as a USOM too, a heavy one but you could (the IOM keel and sail rig is a different story) the only restriction for the USOM hull is that it has to be a mono hull with a water length between 39 3/8 and 39 inches ...... everything else is up to you.