Nov 07, 2016, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tamiya TT02 aluminum prop shaft lateral slop

Is it normal for the blue aluminum prop shaft to be kind of loose, with maybe 3mm lateral (back to front) movement, when installed into the two blue aluminum prop shaft joints? I stuck the black O-ring supplied with the joints in the cup of the front one like they said but it still has a ton of play. Perhaps I misunderstood how the O-ring is to be used..... I just pushed it into the cup, with the ball of the prop shaft pushing into the hole of the O-ring.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2016, 03:07 AM
Yep, the shaft will have some play
If you can deinstall the shaft with the joints installed, something is wrong ... if you can't deinstall it, everything is okay.

The shaft is nothing more but a very long dogbone and it needs to be able to counter some flexing of the chassis. If it would sit really tight, it would rip your whole drivetrain apart if the chassis flexes while you accelerate...or at least break the diffs.

I can get some pictures done later today, if you want to compare.
Nov 08, 2016, 04:47 PM
Pictures attached.

This is how much "slop" I have, for reference
Nov 08, 2016, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Exactly like mine
Nov 09, 2016, 05:32 AM
Suspended Account
YES normal..
Nov 08, 2019, 06:58 PM

TT02 aluminum prop shaft and driveshaft

I recently installed the all alumni num driveshaft and all the accompanying aluminum other parts as well as high speed gear set ....I understand the play of the dogbone driveshaft but seems like the front prop shaft can pull out of diff while still engaged . I haven't proceeded in case I need to change or fix something ....are there parts to still go on that will tighten that up or have I made a mistake ?. Thanks
Dec 05, 2019, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcDougefresh
I recently installed the all alumni num driveshaft and all the accompanying aluminum other parts as well as high speed gear set ....I understand the play of the dogbone driveshaft but seems like the front prop shaft can pull out of diff while still engaged . I haven't proceeded in case I need to change or fix something ....are there parts to still go on that will tighten that up or have I made a mistake ?. Thanks
Are both diff assemblies mounted to the chassis? If they are and you can remove the shaft then there's something wrong.
Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Yup, it's fine. As long as the drive pin is engaged in the cup, it's doing its job.

Quick Reply