Sep 20, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thread OP
Question

Anyone built a Gloster Meteor

Hi, I've been stewing on scratch built a T7 Gloster Meteor for some time now after and collecting info and pics etc for ages, I still can't find scale drawings of the jet with any fuz cross sections, so my next best bet will be to build from some one else's plans

I have the plans of a semi scale Meteor Mk4 designed by Paul Tupker and flown in the 1997 Jet Masters at Wroughton which looks like being the probable base of my project. (might just build it as per plans as a MK4 yet)

Original Specs are :
42.5ins
2 x Robbe Rojet 410 fans
2 x Lehner 1126-17
9 x 2000scr cells
weight 4.5lbs

I'm thinking,

2x Minifan480
2x either Hacker B40s12 or Mega 3turn (most likely the Hackers)
10-12 FAUPs 1950s or GP3300s or just pack it chock full of lipos

I would dearly apperciate any feedback from anyone who has built this jet either from these plans or others or even just casual observations and suggetions on the Meteor

Cheers
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2004, 02:53 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Joe, I've almost finished designing one for twin 90mm fans and intend to kit it if it's practical (and there's sufficient interest). It's quite big - 1625mm span, 1950mm OAL, and it's 100% true scale. Probably a bit bigger than you were hoping for, but I have sized it so that it will fly on twin Mega powered Midifans (I was thinking 22-30-2's on 16xGP3300's per side) to keep the cost down a bit. Not sure when I'll get started, got a few other projects to get out of the way first!

Stu.
Sep 20, 2004, 03:45 AM
Thread OP
That's a great size Stu, if fact it woud be ideal, you could go to town with the scale details and the bit extra weight, but I think it would blow my budget, I all ready have 1 hacker and a Mega so I only need to buy one more of either and another fan, I wanted to keep the project below $1500 finished.

I even tossed around the idea of using microfans of 55 Vassa fans and scaling it down ( i have a couple of Micro fans and a Vassa) but I don't know,,,too small, can't use retracts.

no doubt your meteor has a glass fuz and maybe glass nascells and possibly the whole centre section could be glass incorperating the nascells,,, sorry getting carried away.

What mark is your model? how hard would it be to scale down to 40ish" wing span?

Ok, this is a curly one,,, how did you come up with the cross sections??? Where?? did you find them on the net??? (I gotta try)

Cheers
Joe
Sep 20, 2004, 06:05 AM
Joe, go to www.airwar.ru . That's where I got my 3-views (I think!). There are cross sections in them. If you're gonna do any model you really must get a good plastic model of it - there's so much info in a plastic model that 1000 photo's & drawings just can't tell you so easily. One nice feature of the Meteor is that the nacelles are circular so I can turn the plug on my wood lathe. BTW, I did toy with the idea of a twin minifan version but I think there's already a plan available for one. I wanted something that could be a practical ROG from grass, fly at scale comps type model, and the big size means it has nice big wheels to handle bad fields, as well as lots of wing area. As it's an old sytle jet it could get away with a 1:2 thrust/weight ratio and still be very realistic, whereas if it were smaller it would need more excess power to ROG and would really lose the magic of the original.

Stu.
Sep 20, 2004, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Stu, I'll brush up on my Russian and chck the site out
I come across these on an English site not long ago but I've lost the address, it had a lot of Meteor pics.
Joe
Sep 20, 2004, 07:57 AM
Ado
Ado
Meow?
Is there anything your NOT making Stu? hehe
Sep 20, 2004, 02:15 PM
Well i have some plans on my computer the i've made a few months ago for the Metor, it's pretty much to scale, but it's on the back burner right now till i get my Harrier finished and my Mig Recovered...... msg me for more info
Sep 20, 2004, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Stu, found it.
Joe
Sep 20, 2004, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Kriptonic, I've sent msg
Joe
Sep 20, 2004, 04:51 PM
Don't the Savage brothers have a Meteor kit in the works? I saw it at Best In The West back in April. I'm not sure what the current status is on it. Try www.savagelight.com. It's sized for two MF480s.
Sep 20, 2004, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
I've sent them an email for info
Thanks
Joe
Sep 20, 2004, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado
Is there anything your NOT making Stu? hehe
Well, whilst I'm "in between jobs" I have the time to do all the hard work on new prototypes (like carving plugs & making moulds) so I'm stuck into several new models with the hope of having a bunch of stuff available before the end of the year. Just hope I don't run out of money first!

Stu.
Sep 20, 2004, 05:36 PM
It wasn't me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Don't the Savage brothers have a Meteor kit in the works? I saw it at Best In The West back in April. I'm not sure what the current status is on it. Try www.savagelight.com. It's sized for two MF480s.
Martin B-57B Canberra.

The development model was last flown at the El Toro Model Airshow, 9/18/04.

Dan
Sep 20, 2004, 05:44 PM
Traplett Publications has a construction plan for a 42.5" span Meteor Mk 4 for twin 480's. It was the free plan in one of their back issues. Plan No 079 for 10 pounds, or get the back issue.

Pete G
Sep 20, 2004, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Yep, thanks Pete, I have that one and if all else fails thats the one I'll build.

Joe

Quick Reply