This thread is privately moderated by Jay B. Scott, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 07, 2016, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Finishing the Bamboo Bomber--News Flash Part 2

"The real disaster happens when you try to drill a tunnel that size through the 3/8" thick [actually, 5/16" thick] horizontal stab, right where all of its strength used to be."

After I posted that "news flash," I realized that I made a remarkably un-smart building decision with my rudder pushrod. The outer sleeve does not need to go through the horizontal stab (what I did--duh!). It gets cut off flush with the back side of fuse former F10. Now the hole drilled through the stab is smaller and much more manageable--that is, for you guys who have yet to do it.

As for me, I had to repair that gaping tunnel that ate up all the strength in that area of the stab. I home-rolled a paper tube, and coated it with thin CA to waterproof it. The 5/32" dia. plastic tube (or 4 mm music wire section, etc.) that I used to roll the paper tube on was then coated with petroleum jelly, and put back through the paper tube to keep the glue out. I then blobbed wood glue (aliphatic resin) in the gaping tunnel and on the paper tube, and slid it into the tunnel, wiping the excess glue off. After 24 hours of curing, I trimmed it all up for a bind-free operation. Now I feel 100% confident of its strength.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2016, 08:34 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Jay looks like a great build are you going to post more pics or a build thread ?
Thanks
Nov 12, 2016, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ldm--I started this build on page 20 of the Bamboo Bomber thread on the Scale kit/scratch build forum. Glad you like it!

Quick Reply