Oct 23, 2018, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Hi F1fnw (first name or last , ??),

also having difficulty understanding exactly what you mean but...

In 'stationary' (you mean hovering, correct??) moving the aileron stick will make the motors spin at different speeds rolling the model but they will not move, just speed up on one side and slow down on the other. If you move the wing as if the model was rolling (flying a banked turn) you will hear the gyro also changing the engine speed but once again they should not move, just speed up and slow down.

In 'stationary' if you move the elevator stick on the transmitter the motors will rock forwards and backwards both in the same direction, the RPM will remain constant and if you tilt the wing forwards and backwards the motors will both tilt together in the opposite direction.

In 'stationary' if you move the rudder stick on the transmitter one motor will rotate forwards and one back, the RPM remains the same. If you move the wing as if the model was rotating around it's axis the motors will move in different directions to counteract the rotation.

In 'translation' mode (I presume that you mean Forward Flight) if you move the aileron stick the aileron servos (servos 5 and 6) should move but nothing else. If you move the elevator stick the elevator servo (servo 7) will move but nothing else. If you move the rudder stick the motors will speed up and slow down on opposite sides, i.e., one gets faster and one slows down, but nothing else.

In both cases the throttle stick will increase and decrease the RPM of both motors at by the same amount.

Try to make a video showing what your model does both when you move the transmitter stick for each function and in Hovering (stationary) mode move the model in all 3 directions.

Paul
For Paul, F1FNW is my call "Amateur Radio" And not my name is Francois.
Your description of what should happen at different stages will help me a lot, you have detailed the operation. There is no reason because I followed the procedure described in the pdf files.
For the moment, only the wing is finished, I will start the fuselage.
I will make a video of my essays to see.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2018, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Hi Francois, nice to meet you,

as Ran has stated MANY times VTOL's don't seem to have 'standard' solutions, every individual model or set-up is slightly different. I don't have that much experience but by following the excellent instructions I manged to my my Nemo flying and flying quite well.

All good fun, just takes a bit of thinking, reading, checking and changing and then suddenly it all comes right.

Make a video of what your wing (servos and motors) is doing and the Guys here will spot the problem (if there is one) straight away.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 24, 2018, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
French-English makes this very difficult, but I will try.

Please verify that the transition control switch on your transmitter reads correctly on the KK2 status screen. Press any button to see the status screen. It should read 0 in hover mode (P1), and 100% in forward flight mode (P2).

If not, go back through the OAV setup procedure in the User Manual.
I see a default, I can not have 0, 50, 100% for the inclination of the engines.
When the engines are up, I am on P2 and when they are inclined I am on P1.n. impossible to have P1 ... Yet my switch goes from -100 to +100 on the radio.
I tried a lot of settings and nothing goes. I do not know which parameters to intervene.
Oct 24, 2018, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fnw
I see a default, I can not have 0, 50, 100% for the inclination of the engines.
When the engines are up, I am on P2 and when they are inclined I am on P1.n. impossible to have P1 ... Yet my switch goes from -100 to +100 on the radio.
I tried a lot of settings and nothing goes. I do not know which parameters to intervene.
Go into the Receiver inputs menu #3, within the KK2 board and OAV, and verify the transition control input goes from approximately -1024 to 0 to +1024. The 1024 values can be from 1000 to 1048, but 1024 is the target value. The zero value can be anything you want from -1024 to +1024 as you are allowed to fly SFF (Slow Forward Flight) at any percentage of transition you like.

The zero value should start out as 0 or a neutral pulse width of approximately 1.5ms from you transmitter at first though. This is because when you press button #4 while in the Receiver Inputs menu #3, the KK2 and OAV will see this value as 0. After that, you may change this middle value to anything you like in your transmitter.

If you are having difficulty in this area, it is likely that you need to go back to the user manual and check all of the transmitter inputs as seen in Menu #3, including elevator, ailerons, rudder, throttle, and the transition control input we just discussed.
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Oct 24, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Oct 29, 2018, 08:30 AM
Hello,
Back for some news. I got to get a result that seems ok. The movements correspond to what Paul said.
I still have a problem. I can only get 2 positions for the servos. I tried all the settings only P1 n and P2 ... never P1.
Oct 29, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Hello,
Back for some news. I got to get a result that seems ok. The movements correspond to what Paul said.
I still have a problem. I can only get 2 positions for the servos. I tried all the settings only P1 n and P2 ... never P1.
I say again... Go into the Receiver inputs menu #3, within the KK2 board and OAV, and verify the transition control input goes from approximately -1024 to 0 to +1024. See the previous post.
Oct 30, 2018, 04:08 AM
Hello,

I finally finished the settings of my Vtol. Thanks to the advice of Ran D St Clair and PaulB everything seems to work well. I have the 3 positions P1, P1n and P2. For now I find the compensation very sensitive. They must probably test in real to refine the settings.
I am building the fuselage and various things and I will be able to go to field trials.

Thanks for your help.
Oct 30, 2018, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hello,

I finally finished the settings of my Vtol. Thanks to the advice of Ran D St Clair and PaulB everything seems to work well. I have the 3 positions P1, P1n and P2. For now I find the compensation very sensitive. They must probably test in real to refine the settings.
I am building the fuselage and various things and I will be able to go to field trials.

Thanks for your help.

Thumbs Up Emoji, Thumbs Up Emoji, Thumbs Up Emoji, Thumbs Up Emoji, Thumbs Up Emoji,

Jul 23, 2019, 04:25 AM

Next level :)

Hello Paul, hello everyone,

I have been on vacation for a few days. I take this opportunity to continue the construction of my 3rd "NEMO"

I modified the scale factor to equip the model in 3S or 4S. Now, there is 1.3m between the 2 main engines.
Being satisfied with my first models, I kept the same principles of construction.
My propulsion setup should look like Paul's in this new version.
I hope he will fly successfully.

Greetings

Steve
Jul 23, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Wow, have to re-name her the SteveO

Having said that, I 'borrowed' the idea from Tom so maybe 'TomO'

REGARDLESS, great work, looks really good, those printed (???? not sure) gears look great.

Hope that she flies as good as she looks.

Paul
Jul 24, 2019, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Wow, have to re-name her the SteveO

Having said that, I 'borrowed' the idea from Tom so maybe 'TomO'

REGARDLESS, great work, looks really good, those printed (???? not sure) gears look great.

Hope that she flies as good as she looks.

Paul
Hello Paul,

I like your idea to rename the model "TomO"
Indeed, I printed the gears on a 3D printer. I put 42 teeth on the servo and 38 teeth on the fixed axis of the wing.
I did this to gain a bit of control over my last model. I have sometimes missed a bit of running on tilt servo in hover mode with a ratio of 1: 1

Greetings,

Steve, TomO Builder
Jul 25, 2019, 06:22 PM
Nicholas Jacobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevie
Indeed, I printed the gears on a 3D printer. I put 42 teeth on the servo and 38 teeth on the fixed axis of the wing.
I did this to gain a bit of control over my last model. I have sometimes missed a bit of running on tilt servo in hover mode with a ratio of 1:1
Love your 3D printed tilt mechanism. Gear ratio is perhaps easier than my tinkering with soldering 20KΩ resisters on to the feedback pot. (I have quite a few spare parts for some servos - gears, bearings etc. - but no circuit boards!! ).

Would you mind sharing some views in cad please? Does the gear slip onto the servo spline and then the servo arm ? Perhaps you cut off a small bit of the servo arm base to allow it to still screw down tight?

Nice wire management too.

And its counter-balanced.

Very nice.

Cheers
Nicholas
Jul 26, 2019, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobs
Love your 3D printed tilt mechanism. Gear ratio is perhaps easier than my tinkering with soldering 20KΩ resisters on to the feedback pot. (I have quite a few spare parts for some servos - gears, bearings etc. - but no circuit boards!! ).

Would you mind sharing some views in cad please? Does the gear slip onto the servo spline and then the servo arm ? Perhaps you cut off a small bit of the servo arm base to allow it to still screw down tight?

Nice wire management too.

And its counter-balanced.

Very nice.

Cheers
Nicholas
Hello Nicolas,

Indeed, I prefer to work on my CAD software than with a soldering iron... (it's not just a question of pleasure but rather a question of competence ) That's why I work in this direction.
She is also inspired by Tom Stanton's model:
RC VTOL V3 - Tilt Mechanism (5 min 21 sec)

But as you noticed, i moved the servo away from the pivot axis of the tilt by enlarging the diameter of the gears. This allowed me to balance the masses between the engine and the servo.

For gear drive, here is my solution.
I kept the original servo arm which is fixed on the servo with its screw.
The drive sprocket of the balance has a negative housing of the servo arm. Two screws connect the servo arm and the pinion. Sorry, they are absent from my previous images.
I hope I answered your questions.

Best regards.

Steve
Jul 26, 2019, 06:31 AM
I forgott my Cad view
Jul 26, 2019, 10:51 AM
Nicholas Jacobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevie
I hope I answered your questions.Steve
Thank you! So are you using a feathering shaft/bearings (a reverse cad view would probably explain that).

Really nice job.

Cheers
Nicholas

Quick Reply