BBCC8 Max Holste Broussard - FF glow to RC electric - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2016, 08:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
Build Log

BBCC8 Max Holste Broussard - FF glow to RC electric

This is my entry for BBCC8.

The plan is from Outerzone.

64" Wngspan FF for 2.5cc engine. I will build it as 4ch RC with a 500w electric motor
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 07, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2016, 08:41 AM
Just thumbing through...

A few photos of the full size plane

A few pics of the one I have flown in.

Also a link to another one for sale, with lots of pics

http://www.aircraft-repairllc.com/broussard

Today, November 22, 2016 the Broussard mentioned above was damaged. No injuries reported

WWII plane crash in Simpsonville, SC (11 min 4 sec)

A nice rubber powered FF version

MH.1521 Broussard Rubber Powered Free Flight Model (4 min 20 sec)
Last edited by victapilot; Dec 01, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
Nov 07, 2016, 08:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
This plane has two vertical stabilizer / rudders. I'm looking for inspiration as to how to do this, while keeping everything light while being adjustable. Thanks for any suggestions!

Probably like this B-25, but with a hatch over the bellcrank

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3835
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 07, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Nov 11, 2016, 07:23 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus

Twin rudders

Victapilot,

Here's a thought.....if you put each rudder control horn on the inside face of the rudder under the stab, then you can eliminate the bell crank by hooking each push rod to one side of a servo arm or disc. And since this aircraft isn't very big, you could use a small, high torque servo mounted in the back of the fuselage. No hatches, no bell crank, short, light gauge push rods, etc......

my two cents
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Nov 11, 2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: got the servo arm wrong
Nov 11, 2016, 09:09 AM
Like this
Latest blog entry: CF-105.2 Arrow Variant
Nov 11, 2016, 09:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot
Like this
Thanks for that! That idea would certainly make adjustment and maintenance easy.

On the question of size of this plane, it is designed with 64in span and 36in length. This looks like very short coupling, and possibly is like that to have a big FF floater. According to Wikipedia, the full scale plane has 45ft span and 28ft length. I calculate then that the wingspan for 36in length should be 58in. Rib spacing is about 3in, so if I eliminate a rib on each side I cut the wingspan by 6in, and voila get 58in, closer to scale.

Another scale issue is the cylindrical engine nacelle. The full size plane is not like that, but has a continuous taper towards the front. That's what I plan to do.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:50 AM

FF to RC

Vic,

I recently converted a FF BirdDog into an RC version and forgot to check the decalage......there was almost 6 degrees of "up" built into the original model.....3 deg wing incidence and 3 deg in the stab.....be mindful of that with the Holste.......

good luck

O_P
Nov 12, 2016, 08:51 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Vic,

I recently converted a FF BirdDog into an RC version and forgot to check the decalage......there was almost 6 degrees of "up" built into the original model.....3 deg wing incidence and 3 deg in the stab.....be mindful of that with the Holste.......

good luck

O_P
Thanks!

I'll definitely check that. The Puss Moth that I built for BBCC6 had the same issue. But maybe that was common even for old timer RC designs as well. Typically slow fliers. It was the case for my recent build of a 1/2A RCM Trainer. It was suggested on my build thread to raise the trailing edge of the wing about 5/64in. The plane then flew better (less ballooning under power)
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 12, 2016 at 08:58 AM.
Nov 13, 2016, 04:52 PM
Just thumbing through...

Radial Cowl

Wondering if I'll make a balsa cowl as per the plan, or buy a fiberglass cowl. The diameter is 5 1/2 in, so quite big, probably bigger than most pop bottles. So I might just buy one. Fiberglass Specialties has one measuring 5 1/2 x 4, costs $28 plus shipping.

No 5 1/2in replacement cowls at Tower that I could see.

I could also make one from glass/epoxy on a foam form. Then dissolve the foam.

If I buy one, I need to get it first to make sure that the fuse will fit to it.
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 14, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Nov 14, 2016, 06:21 PM

Pop bottle cowl

Vic, you're right, a 2 liter bottle is a little over 4.25" in dia......but a 3 liter bottle might be worth a trip to the grocery store with a set of calipers......LOL
Nov 14, 2016, 09:33 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Vic, you're right, a 2 liter bottle is a little over 4.25" in dia......but a 3 liter bottle might be worth a trip to the grocery store with a set of calipers......LOL
My wife hates that! She won't be anywhere near me when I start checking bottles. More than once I have paid a dollar for a bottle of water, just for the bottle.
Nov 17, 2016, 09:02 AM
Just thumbing through...

Scaling

I printed the plan and the dimensions are a little larger than original. This is the scaling issue mentioned on Outerzone (or maybe it's me )

The length is now 39 inches. That means I need to shoot for a wingspan of 62.5 inches to be scale. I will leave out one rib for each wing panel and that should be around 29 inch for each wing panel, plus 6.5 inch for the fuse width. Near enough, and still closer to scale than the original.

The cowling is now 5 1/4 inch diameter. Fiberglass Specialties has one that's 5 3/8", but I'll go shopping for pop bottles first..

This is also close http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGRY1&P=7
Last edited by victapilot; Nov 17, 2016 at 09:10 AM.
Nov 18, 2016, 08:29 PM

Scale cowlings

this may be of some interest.....

https://www.facebook.com/angel.rdng/...10012281238080
Nov 19, 2016, 08:02 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Thanks for that!

Back to the rudders: The horizontal stab is about 1/2 thick airfoiled with ribs. I'm now thinking of operating the rudders with two 9 gram servos, one in each end of the HS. That would need a 3rd servo to operate the tailwheel, so that's a negative. I could do the separate halves of the elevator with 9 g servos also. By making it "fly by wire" the 24" tail could easily be removed for transport.
Nov 29, 2016, 02:53 PM
Just thumbing through...

A few sticks and cowl

Time to glue a few sticks, following plan.

I bought a fiberglass Corsair cowl, referenced above, now ridiculously cheap at $6. Naturally I already bought one at $24, so I ordered a spare - dollar cost averaging! Cowl includes a ply cowl ring.