Nov 06, 2016, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Question

prebuilt drones have fpv for as much as an fpv camera costs?

i wanted to get a very basic fpv setup but everything is at least $20 for one component, yet the cheerson quads and other fpv quads have the whole fpv setup and quadcopter for $20. Is there any way i can get a very simple fpv setup done for super cheap. Like $10-$20
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2016, 01:43 PM
Fan of pusher multirotors
$20 FPV microquads transmit via wifi, which introduces lag and makes FPV nearly useless. Seriously, the whole category of WiFi FPV is a joke and should be ignored unless you only ever want to do *very* slow flying, and even then the quality is bad.

You can get very cheap 5.8G (not wifi) pods for toy quads, but you'll also need a display or goggles because 5.8G isn't received by smartphones. Some supercheap FPV kits (around $40) do give you a small display to mount on your controller, but between that and the crappy camera the end result is going to be absolutely disgraceful and likely to turn you off FPV altogether.

Barring special offers and sales, the bare minimum for FPV that's worth using will cost you at least $75: Eachine VR007 goggles for $50 and TX01 or TX02 all-in-one camera/transmitter for $25. This is, of course, over the price of the quad - and you'll need to hook up the camera, though you really require only minimal DIY skills for that.
Nov 06, 2016, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
$20 FPV microquads transmit via wifi, which introduces lag and makes FPV nearly useless. Seriously, the whole category of WiFi FPV is a joke and should be ignored unless you only ever want to do *very* slow flying, and even then the quality is bad.

You can get very cheap 5.8G (not wifi) pods for toy quads, but you'll also need a display or goggles because 5.8G isn't received by smartphones. Some supercheap FPV kits (around $40) do give you a small display to mount on your controller, but between that and the crappy camera the end result is going to be absolutely disgraceful and likely to turn you off FPV altogether.

Barring special offers and sales, the bare minimum for FPV that's worth using will cost you at least $75: Eachine VR007 goggles for $50 and TX01 or TX02 all-in-one camera/transmitter for $25. This is, of course, over the price of the quad - and you'll need to hook up the camera, though you really require only minimal DIY skills for that.
would something like this work?
DIY: $10 FPV Camera (4 min 40 sec)
i also saw a a video were someone put a really cheap reciever onto a usb on the go cable and was able to use fpv on their smartphone that way. would something like that work?
Nov 06, 2016, 02:06 PM
Quote:
i also saw a a video were someone put a really cheap reciever onto a usb on the go cable and was able to use fpv on their smartphone that way. would something like that work?
No. USB receivers are all very laggy, especially supercheap ones. If you're gonna use a laggy smartphone link you might as well get a wifi FPV setup anyway - not that it's gonna do you much good.

On a more general note, if you're in such a bad economic situation that you'd rather spend time DIYing a crappy $10 camera than buying a ready-made higher-quality $21 one, you're probably better off with a cheaper hobby altogether; between the quadcopters themselves and the spares you'll need if you want to fly any of them at length, RC flight is expensive even if you stick to toy quads, let alone if you get bitten by the bug and decide to jump to larger ones and eventually brushless ones.
Nov 06, 2016, 03:15 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
You will just end up getting a better one anyways. So just wait and save.
Nov 06, 2016, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No. USB receivers are all very laggy, especially supercheap ones. If you're gonna use a laggy smartphone link you might as well get a wifi FPV setup anyway - not that it's gonna do you much good.

On a more general note, if you're in such a bad economic situation that you'd rather spend time DIYing a crappy $10 camera than buying a ready-made higher-quality $21 one, you're probably better off with a cheaper hobby altogether; between the quadcopters themselves and the spares you'll need if you want to fly any of them at length, RC flight is expensive even if you stick to toy quads, let alone if you get bitten by the bug and decide to jump to larger ones and eventually brushless ones.
ok. i was just wondering if there was a cheap way to see if i like fpv
Nov 06, 2016, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser View Post
You will just end up getting a better one anyways. So just wait and save.
Quote:

is this all in one transmitter and camerqa any good? http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX02...l?rmmds=search

could i pair it with this display and get a cheap fov setup going? http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...bXoaAsb98P8HAQ
Last edited by Legolessed; Nov 06, 2016 at 05:38 PM.
Nov 06, 2016, 09:15 PM
The TX02 is the best camera you can get for that price.

That screen will work, but it's really tiny. I have one just like it and it's better than nothing - but not that much better; I often have to force myself to use it instead of relying on line of sight.

There are better screens, but they're all around the $50 mark (example), and at that price you can get cheap goggles like the VR007 that will give you much better immersion. If you're looking for the most dirt-cheap setup that screen you linked to will do, but if you're spending $50 for the whole setup you're better off saving a couple tenners more and getting either the bigger screen or the goggles.
Nov 07, 2016, 06:18 AM
"cheap, small, lightweight"
Quote:
That is only true for those cheap ready-to-fly wifi systems. Wifibroadcast works very well and similar to analog FPV with one-way transmission. With 720p 48fps latency is 125ms, with 60fps around 110ms, and there are currently efforts going on to reduce this further. Range is about 1km with cheap stock antennas (on 2.4G with 70mw, on 5.8G with 300mw).

Legolessed: Maybe check out the 'EasyCap' thread here on this forum, if you already have a compatible smartphone you don't need to spend money on a monitor. It will introduce some additional lag though.

Quick Reply