Goblin 420 - RC Groups
Nov 04, 2016, 06:26 PM
as much as I can
Discussion

Goblin 420

I wasn't sure where to put this and I couldn't find a thread for it, so since it's a stretched 380, I decided to put it here.

Anyway, I decided to add another heli to my collection and since I don't have a Goblin yet, I decided to go with the new 420. It's been some time since I built a Heli, the last one being the Gaui X4 II. I've just been flying occasionally and doing the odd mod to the ones I have. Yesterday I fitted the new 700X landing gear to the 550DFC and the 700DFC, which has a new 5 degree tilt. Looks way more aggressive, but makes removing the canopy on the 550 a bit trickier.

My 420 turned up yesterday, but it's going to be a Christmas present from the wife, so I won't be building it for a while, but I thought I would show how I'm going to kit it out and see what others are doing, and perhaps talk about any issues others have found with the kit.

Reading other forums, I note someone had blades that were too thick (both mains and tail) while others had no problems. I also read about screw heads stripping, but this can be due to worn drivers and over tightening. Frame and canopy clearances were also an issue in some cases. Twisted tail booms and varying thickness at the mounting point. Overall a bit surprising from SAB helicopter division.

I guess many will wait to see if an ALZRC 420 comes along. What has the ALZRC 380 been like?

My build will use:
ALZRC 1000kv 1250W motor (red with black top & bottom)
YEP 120A LV with internal 8 volt 12A BEC (overkill, but already have it)
KST MS325's HV cyclic
TYG 525MG HV (had this already)
Ikon 2 FBL
2600mah 6S (already have quite a few of these)

I don't know if the YEP ESC will fit yet. It's not very big. It's about the same size as the hobbywing 100A V3, and it weighs about the same, so it should be fine. It's also the only one I have with an HV BEC.

Last edited by beenflying; Nov 06, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2016, 07:00 PM
taking time on my ride
I`m liking mine so far. I have 11 flights on it. I had two build issues. A bad bearing in one grip and ball never tighten up in plastic tail lever. I like it so much I bought the parts to stretch my 1/2 Devil-1/2 G380.

G420 setup....
XNova 930kv motor w/ 20T pinion
HW 100A ESC.... using internal Gov. 75%, 80%, 85%, & 90%
Spirit FBL
KST MS 325
KST MS 565

I have a few Devils. I have 124 flights on one and 104 on another.
Nov 04, 2016, 07:24 PM
as much as I can
Hi, IFHELI. Great to see you are still in the hobby, and getting in lots of flying.

Disappointing to hear about the bearing and ball issue with the 420.

Sounds like the perfect setup in your 420. I hovered over the buy button on another HW100 (I have one in my 550DFC Pro) , but decided to uses what I already had. Hope I don't regret it.

Great to hear you're getting so many flights out of the Devils.
Nov 04, 2016, 10:23 PM
as much as I can
Nice! Thank you. Great to see them side by side, especially straight down like that. Hehe, your feet are now famous.
Nov 04, 2016, 10:57 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
[edited to shorter version]

Hello, sir
I see you have ikon2 BI picked up an iKon(v1?) aluminum edition from helidirect. Do you have any gotchas or some quirky tips for the iKon?

Please share if you can some of the knowledge with me before I put her in the air the first time.

Thank you.
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Nov 05, 2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Shorter version
Nov 05, 2016, 08:35 AM
as much as I can
Hi vik. Late here so I'll reply more tomorrow. In the mean time check with Helidirect to see if your metal case was upgraded. MSH had an issue with lose boards in the metal case and released a new one that fixes the problem. I have an ikon v1 plastic on a 700 and I'm very happy with it now that it has the latest v2 firmware.
Nov 05, 2016, 03:35 PM
Thank you, beenflying.
Nov 05, 2016, 04:55 PM
taking time on my ride
beenflying,

I had been wondering what ever happen to you. It is good to hear from you again. I`m still just flying the 380/420 class helis.

I made two more flights today on the G420. I`m still not a fan of the colors SAB picked for it. I have been holding off on a video till I have the tail where I want it. I updated all of my Spirit FBL systems last night to newest firmware including the one on the G420. I have been fighting a small bounce on stops. I had the tail delay @ 5 but dropped it to zero and the bounce is gone. It looks like the KST MS 565 servo did not need a delay set.
If the weather holds off tomorrow I may try to video it. I now have 13 flights on it.
Nov 05, 2016, 05:12 PM
as much as I can
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
Thank you, beenflying.
Glad I can help. To be honest I was a little disappointed with the ikon v1 when I first got it. I had this weird twitch that would happen intermittently only once during a flight. The self level didn't work as it should and I was forced to put some large values in the adjustments the self level used to have. I also had to play with the advanced tail settings, but this was ultimately fixed in the v1 firmware.

V2 firmware is a whole different ballpark. No twitch, tail and cyclic perfect, with default settings (now you select the blade size, but surprising they leave out 420 & 520 blades (saying to select the closest)) and the self level/rescue works really well, and there is no calibration required. It also has a nice feature that tests the MEMS sensor at startup and reports it via cyclic pumps. It also tells you if you have the rescue switch enabled at startup by rocking the cyclic.

My one tip as always, is to fit a capacitor as close as possible to the FBL unit. At least 4700uf. I made my own 10000uf for the 700, with a short extension lead to put it in series with one of the servo leads.

I also fitted bluetooth in the heli using the 110mm MSH cable and an eBay CRIUS bluetooth unit, worth about USD $5. You can set the name of the bluetooth unit and the pin code in the PC app.
Nov 05, 2016, 05:35 PM
Wow, awesome, thank you, man!!
I was a little hesitant updating firmware until I test the unit in 'stock' configuration, but now I'll definitely flash her to latest before doing maiden.

Great info and much appreciated, sir!! Good luck with your new heli when you get to building her! (I won't derail no more)
Nov 05, 2016, 10:01 PM
as much as I can
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI
beenflying,

I had been wondering what ever happen to you. It is good to hear from you again. I`m still just flying the 380/420 class helis.

I made two more flights today on the G420. I`m still not a fan of the colors SAB picked for it. I have been holding off on a video till I have the tail where I want it. I updated all of my Spirit FBL systems last night to newest firmware including the one on the G420. I have been fighting a small bounce on stops. I had the tail delay @ 5 but dropped it to zero and the bounce is gone. It looks like the KST MS 565 servo did not need a delay set.
If the weather holds off tomorrow I may try to video it. I now have 13 flights on it.
Thanks. I admire you skills with the smaller size helis. A heli with 520mm blades flies in slow motion compared to them. My favorites are heli's with 420mm and 520mm blades. I really like the Gaui X4 II. I built it as light as I could, by using a grunty 500 scorpion motor, plastic servos and a super light rx. Most people put a 550 motor in it and it flies like a tank. Finished it off with a light A-spec battery. I also enjoy flying my Align 550's and the Gaui X5.

So you must be enjoying the 420. Does it feel much bigger (smoother) than the 380 when you fly it?

Interesting about the color. Is it hard to see? I personally like the look of it in the pictures.

I'll look forward to seeing your video.
Nov 06, 2016, 06:49 AM
taking time on my ride
It does have a lighter feel in flight. I set mine up about 200-250 RPM less than my G380 & D380. My 380`s are snappy quick. The G420 is quick but smoother. I have set all of them up pretty much the same. I have set the same collective (12.6 / -12.6) and cyclic (10 / -10) on all. As close to the same settings in Spirit.

When I finally get the stretch 380 in the air I will be running about the same HS as it was in 380 form.

In the air it is just to dark for me. To heavy on the black for me.
Nov 06, 2016, 06:32 PM
as much as I can
Concerning about there being too much black. From the pictures you would think there was enough yellow. Might have to pull out the florescent red stick on film to add some more red in the black areas...

Last edited by beenflying; Nov 06, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
Nov 06, 2016, 07:13 PM
Dark or not, you gotta admit that it does look pretty hot

Btw, I had a red-black-yellow canopy on my 450 and boi I tell ya, it had great visibility. Yellow just made it very pronounced in the skies. My now blye canopies are really bad to see, but I'm flying them anyways because they're in good shape(...until I 'repair' them with the help of gravity)