What is a "Shock Flyer"? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sep 19, 2004, 03:21 PM
Registered User
N1EDM's Avatar

What is a "Shock Flyer"?

I've been in R/C for a while, but I'm curious ....

What is a Shock Flyer? I see the term, but I have no idea what it refers to.

From what I gather, it seems like just a slab-foam profile version of a 3D flyer, made to fly on smaller electric motors. Is that all it is?

In other words, what is the definition of a 'shock flyer'?


Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2004, 03:28 PM
Zen Flying Master
AUBrian's Avatar
You're correct in your definition...originally the shock flyer was actually the name of 3 planes made by Icarus:

However it's become the generic term for profile foam planes normally used for indoor and low-wind 3-D.
Sep 19, 2004, 03:36 PM
Hogster's Avatar
The Shockflyer is an immensely popular flate-plate (ie. no airfoil, no built-up fuselage, just flat pieces of foam) foamie plane made by Ikarus. One of its main attractive features is its ability to perform very well on a cheap geared brushed system.


Also, because of its light weight, adding a brushless motor (as many power-crazy pilots so often love doing!) makes the performance ballistic - punch the throttle and it'll climb vertically, VERY fast, and be out of sight in no time! .... and yet strangely, it can still fly very slowly too. It's because of this wide speed range and low weight (does less damage to things it hits!), it's also a very popular indoor model, with videos popping up all over RCGroups of people flying 'Shockies' in their homes, in lifts, just about anywhere really!

It seems that the term 'ShockFlyer' has also grown to mean any flat-plate-type-plane made from flat sheets of foam (usually EPP, or Expanded PolyPropylene).

Hope that sums things up for you!
Sep 19, 2004, 03:53 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
Not to nitpick here but I believe the only feature that makes a profile foam airplane "shocked" is the presence of another plate perpendicular to the fuse. Tim Hart's Extra and Mini 3DX are shocked but his Yak 54 and Ultimate Bipe are simply profile planes. The construction technique has certainly caught on but there are still quite a fews kits that don't employ the second plate in the fuse.
Sep 19, 2004, 09:25 PM
Registered User
N1EDM's Avatar
Thanks for the definitions and clarification guys. Are these things normally flown indoors (like, for practicing 3D in the winter, inside a gym) or are they too powerful for that and need to be flown outdoors?

Just curious if they'd make a good item for winter indoor flying...


Sep 20, 2004, 05:01 AM
Registered User
You can fly them indoors and outdoors - as long as there isnt too much wind. Although i have seen them flown in 5-10mph winds noprobs.
Nov 16, 2005, 10:18 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
staggerwing's Avatar
Dogzilla----Thanks for asking this question as I was going to do the same---
Sounds like it might have derived from some brilliant marketing sort looking for a cutesy, catchy alternative to "profile" as most know it.
Nov 16, 2005, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Threshold's Avatar
I think they are called shock flyers because its shocking how well they fly considering how cheap and simple they are I started a saying "The shock flyer smile" because anyone flying a shockie has this incredulous, delighted smile on their face while they are flying instead of the normal trembling knees syndrome when you have $2000 flying around at 100mph.
Nov 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
staggerwing's Avatar
I like that concept !
I hope to maiden my XXL Su 27 when the weather agrees & look forward to this phenomenon.
Nov 16, 2005, 05:50 PM
S.A.D. member
ivanc's Avatar
In fact I've flown my FlatOut (same design as a shock flyer) in some moderate winds (around 10 - 12 mph). It's quite challenging but the airframe is only $40 and nothing that gorilla glue and foam pieces can't fix. I still have to fly it indoors.
Nov 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
Registered User
Well, I think they are called shock flyers because the vendors are shocked at how many people will actually buy them!
Nov 17, 2005, 08:28 AM
Baptised Heathen
batman's Avatar
Each to their own, 1g1yy, but I agree. Some of them are bloody expensive for what amounts to some pieces of foam that anyone can cut in a few minutes. A bit of coloring in (and most of us still like to color in, don't we?) and you got a design of your own.
Nov 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Threshold's Avatar
Thats the real beauty of the shockie, make your own for 3.50, quick and easy and you have a unique design that is all your own.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion what is a shock flyer? mayday1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Apr 03, 2006 05:55 PM
what esc for shock flyer IraceaLosi Parkflyers 4 Aug 04, 2004 07:11 PM
what arethe best servos for a shock flyer? light ,fast and strong . wing warrior 3D Flying 7 Jun 20, 2004 03:45 PM
Shock Flyer w/ Typhoon 6 direct drive... what prop? CactusJackSlade 3D Flying 3 May 17, 2004 07:33 AM
I got a Shock Flyer for Christmas - NOW WHAT? Kansas Prairie 3D Flying 27 Jan 02, 2004 04:21 PM