AOSENMA CG035 Brushless Double GPS 5.8G FPV With 1080P HD Gimbal Camera Follow Me Mod - Page 59 - RC Groups
May 14, 2017, 04:23 PM
Anybody knows what circled connector is for in picture? Just wondering if it's gyro/acc output so it can be used for brushless gimbal!
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 03:22 PM
Has anyone tried binding their CG035 to a Taranis transmitter? (I have a QX7). I'd like to just fly everything on that TX. If anyone has, please fill me in on how to bind it. Maybe SeBy DocKy has the answer...?

PLUS:

Has anyone done a battery mod and tried a 3S battery? I hear flyers are running 3S on the Bugs3 and it also has 1806 motors but they are 1800kv and it uses 6A ESC's. I checked.
The CG035 also runs 1806 motors but they are 2300kv and it uses 12A ESC's. So, if their running 3S on the Bugs3, the CG035 should be able to run on 3S too.
Can you imagine the speed this baby could do with a 3S in manual mode, and the punch out's possible with around a 60C?!! Wo0oW!
May 15, 2017, 03:32 PM
GOT WINGS
I tried 3S battery on the Bugs 3 and it worked plus added some power and speed. But it also added some negative effects such as strange sounds and oscillations. I went back to 2S on the Bugs because I like it fine that way and didn't want to risk letting out the magic smoke.
Even if the motors and ESCs can handle the 3S battery, that does not mean all of the other electronic components can, and you risk burning something up. Take a look at how expensive those parts are, and compare that to the price of a 3S racer. Even the Bugs 3 is much faster and sportier than the CG035 and can be bought for $85. And RTF racers don't cost much more. The CG035 is a camera quad, not a racer. Try it only if you are willing to risk burning it.
May 15, 2017, 09:10 PM
I Finley got my order from Banggood for the ESC's !!!
Now the only thing coming is one more replacement Green ESC and a battery. This will give me 4 batteries to use.
The first 035, the transmitter does not work the camera servos ( I pulled the camera setup off the second one and it won't work them, which I know is good) the Camera works, So, the plan will be to replace that camera setup with something that works and I see Plenty of options to go with.

With these ESC's, I can get Both 035s up and running. (I had pulled the ESC's out of the first one to make the second one work and all the lights are green so now I can put them both back stock)
Now, I am getting excited again.
I have been flying a little Holy Stone 89 dollar job and getting more experience in flying so I hope I can keep this 035 out of trouble in burning up the ESC's. I do have the spares now.!!
Last edited by Helmar; May 15, 2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
May 15, 2017, 09:49 PM
GOT WINGS
Helmar, hope you have a better experience with it from here on.
May 15, 2017, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Helmar, hope you have a better experience with it from here on.
Thanks and I am sure I will. I know what Not to do or let happen now. I think I will check the battery connections too.

Helmar
May 16, 2017, 10:30 PM

Potenti. shaft play eliminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torstie
Hello,
Sputnik seems not to be around. I was also keen to know, what this tape solution was about. And I figured it out now. The goal is to reduce the tiny play between the gimbal output shaft (the small plastic notch) and the poti itself. To achieve this you have to open the transmitter and then remove the potis. Putting a double layer of teflon tape between the notch and the poti will do the job. Please find three photos attached. That should make it clear.

Have fun...
Hi Torstie, thanks for your very useful information to eliminate the play at Potenti. shaft. I have been flying CG035 for 90th flight after replacing 3 ESCs as I had improper idling problem. Recently I observed some drift when I intend to hobor in GPS mode. So I applied teflon tape for elevetor and airlon shaft which had some play.
As per attached video (2min to 2min 30sec), CG035 stayed the position under fairly windy condition.

CG035 90th flight (3 min 39 sec)

Thanks for your help.

Aiolosimport
May 17, 2017, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I tried 3S battery on the Bugs 3 and it worked plus added some power and speed. But it also added some negative effects such as strange sounds and oscillations. I went back to 2S on the Bugs because I like it fine that way and didn't want to risk letting out the magic smoke.
Even if the motors and ESCs can handle the 3S battery, that does not mean all of the other electronic components can, and you risk burning something up. Take a look at how expensive those parts are, and compare that to the price of a 3S racer. Even the Bugs 3 is much faster and sportier than the CG035 and can be bought for $85. And RTF racers don't cost much more. The CG035 is a camera quad, not a racer. Try it only if you are willing to risk burning it.
Have you flown the CG035 without GPS, in total manual mode? It's damn fast! Try it and compare it to your Bugs3, then let me know.

Oh, I also took all of the camera gear off mine...and the landing gear too...hollow legs that twist and bend AND BREAK way too easy. I made my own landing gear out of 3" long pieces of 1/4" acrylic. They are straight pegs almost the same size as a 3" pencil. I drilled a small hole in about 1/4" from the top and they attach with small zip ties just in from each motor. So 4 legs. The best thing is when I have crashed...and rather hard...they collapse and then become flat to each arm - BREAKING the CG035's fall!! They're break away landing gear that collapse to semi catch the quad and have totally prevented any damage to the quad even though I smacked dead into a fir tree and fell hard straight to the base of the tree. I thought it was really messed up, but no damage at all. I purposely used the thin 4" zip ties so they would be the first thing that breaks and it has worked out perfectly! They either collapse and fold up parallel to the arm, or the zip tie snaps...either way it takes the impact of the crash and the quad has come out unharmed each time! The zip tie is easily replaced and is about a penny in cost. Plus, the 4 acrylic pegs weigh HALF what those twig like stock landing gear do. The quad looks much, much better too. And boy is it zippy without the crappy, and worthless, camera/gimbal and landing gear. I'm really please with the simple mod.
May 17, 2017, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolosimport
Hi Torstie, thanks for your very useful information to eliminate the play at Potenti. shaft. I have been flying CG035 for 90th flight after replacing 3 ESCs as I had improper idling problem. Recently I observed some drift when I intend to hobor in GPS mode. So I applied teflon tape for elevetor and airlon shaft which had some play.
As per attached video (2min to 2min 30sec), CG035 stayed the position under fairly windy condition.

https://youtu.be/ik4HdaMgrjU

Thanks for your help.

Aiolosimport

Hi Aiolosimport,
great, that the poti taping helped you too. I also felt the improvement, no drifts anymore. Yes, the copter is very steady in heavy winds, best proved with your hands off demo.
But the real thanks belong to Sputnik_Orbiter, who had the basic idea.

Happy flying...
May 17, 2017, 05:22 PM

Potent. shaft play was eliminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik_Orbiter
EASILY FIXED + Minor issues with my CG035 that caused needless major headaches:

1. Battery connection.
2. Hysteresis or 'slop' in the transmitter control sticks.
3. Incorrect parameter settings in the quad's memory.
4. Loose screws.
5. Above all, misunderstanding of operating switches and controls, (bad manual translation).

Here are the ways to remedy these problems:

1. My drone would not power up without twisting the battery sled. It was completely unreliable. A second battery had the same result. The battery tray connection is a Dean's connector. Inside the drone, the male half has leaf springs alongside the connector pins to tighten their grip. Take the drone apart and bend the Dean's connector's small leaf springs for a greater arch and hence a tight fit into the battery connector. Done.

2. My model had the same 'reverse won't stop' syndrome that Andy RC complained about on his youtube of the CG035. However, a friend of mine has the same model and his does not have this problem. It is NOT in the drone, it is in the transmitter. The gimbal sticks have 'slop' in them and therefore don't return to the same centering point when moved back and forth. This caused the drone to get a continuous 'reverse' pitch signal after moving the stick reverse and letting go. It would not center the potentiometer back to the midpoint by a tiny tiny amount. Some tape over the gimbal's output shaft tightened it up nicely to fit the potentiometer's rotating spindle. I did BOTH the pitch and the throttle shafts like this with excellent results, completely perfect. (Do the Vast software hookup to the drone's USB port and go through the calibration step to set full scale and centering of the sticks, it works!)

3. My drone came home, RTH perfectly out of the box... BUT! When connecting the Vast software and looking at the settings I found the same huge value in the RTH and Geofence settings... something like 29645743 or whatever.. garbage. I set them to RTH 25 (meters) and Distance (Geofence) to 100 (meters). Subsequent flights showed no ill-effects on RTH change, it came home fine as before. Have not hit the wall on geofence yet to see what that does.

4. Had loose screws on one of the motors after about 10 flights it showed up. So, I just tightened them.. this is a non-issue, just common maintenance.

5. I have gone slowly through the various modes finding out for myself what the switches do with trepidation. I have not tried headless mode even after about 20 flights and really don't feel the need for it's use but will check it someday in a large open field .. someday. In the meantime, I have found the follow-me feature uses BOTH switches in middle position, then uses a click on the Right "upper" dual button on the upper corner of the transmitter. If the drone is a decent distance away (like 30-40ft or more) it will turn and face the transmitter location, then follow the transmitter PERFECTLY.

5a. Circle me, orbit mode, uses same switches both in middle postion but then uses the LEFT side upper dual button, click the top part of it, the part near the antenna stub. As others have said, orbit is a bit of a mystery. It WILL orbit and do it beautifully well, but as of yet I haven't nailed down how to guarantee where the center of the 'circle' will be! It orbits seemingly wherever you initiate the mode from. When I find out for sure I will post a message on 'how to'. I noticed a wee bit of drift on prolonged orbiting but nothing to worry about.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS DRONE EXCEPT QC AND OPERATOR LEVEL OF PERSISTENCE TO LEARN HOW TO FLY IT!
We have some decent strong winds in the afternoons here and this little drone fights like a bobcat in the wind. It is excellent.
I really like this drone. After building one with CC3D and having great success with that - This CG035 blows it away with features alone.
Hi Sputnik_Orbiter, I observed CG035 drifting in GPS mode and under guidance of Torstie (#868), I applied teflon tape in elevetor and airlon Pot. shaft which eliminated the drifting (submitted the report under #877) with thanks comment to Torstie who kindly advised that the original idea of eliminating the play in Potenti. shaft came from you, Sputnik_Orbiter. I checked back the thread and found your report.
Thanks for your good suggestion.

I also thank to siriusflier who started this thread.
This folum is very useful to solve my CG035 problems;
Battery connection lost - Spring of T-connector in CG035 did not have appropriate shape so replaced it to work.
Camera gimbal servos melt down - I made new gimbal using 9g servos contorlled by Pin No. 2 & 3 and set new camera - FireFly Q6 with real 1080P 60FPS.
Improper idling - I changed 3 ESCs. After replacing ESCs, I made 90th flight yesterday and no issue on motor control.
Drifting in GPS mode - Tightening the play by applying teflon tae and problem is fixed.

Aiolosimport
May 17, 2017, 07:51 PM
GOT WINGS
Hey Lipopotamus, how about some pictures of the landing gear, sounds good. I have flown the CG935 in full manual mode and it does fly well that way, but I don't think it is nearly as fast as the Bugs 3. The Bugs 2 should be a closer comparison to the CG035 if it ever gets released.

Aiolosimport, Good tips from you and the others on fixing faults with the CG035. Glad yours is working well for you.
May 18, 2017, 10:46 PM

CG035 RTH from 535M away

It's 95th flight after replacing 3 ESCs. All functions work.
Today I intended to test RTH by loss of signal. I flied away until out of sight but still signal is O.K.
I could not fly further (I was afraid auto RTH might not work) and switched to 3 (RTH) from 2 (GPS) at around 1min 15sec in the video.

CG035 RTH from 535M (4 min 12 sec)

Later checked the distance by Google map which showed approx. 535M (or approx. 585 yard) as per attached photo.
I modified the angle of 2nd anntena of both TX and CG035 to maximize the distance but still using stock anntenas except 5.8G FPV TX/RX with Leaf/Flat anntena.

My understanding of the limiation is around 300M but this TX/RX connection looks far better.

Aiolosimport
May 19, 2017, 05:24 PM
Nice! Yes the 300m restriction is non functional. Over half a mile is very possible with no loss of control signal using completely stock drone and controller internal antennas, depending of course on the area you are flying in and the potential interference. Cool mod!
Last edited by scoreshot; May 19, 2017 at 05:31 PM.
May 20, 2017, 10:49 PM

Another try RTH from 574M (0.36miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoreshot
Nice! Yes the 300m restriction is non functional. Over half a mile is very possible with no loss of control signal using completely stock drone and controller internal antennas, depending of course on the area you are flying in and the potential interference. Cool mod!
Hi scoreshot, thanks for your encouraging comment. I did another flight today (103rd flight after replacing 3 ESCs. All function works).
I intended auto return after loss of control signal but CG035 was flying closer to Shinkansen (Bullet Train) rail way, so I flipped to 3(RTH) from 2(GPS) at 1min 43sec which I checked later with Google map showing approx. 574M (or 0.36miles).
I think the place I'm flying is too small to check the maxium distance of TX signal.
When CG035 returned to above point of lifting off, I selcted SW 1(manual mode) by adjusting throttle to have steep desent at about 2min 39sec and back to SW 2 (GPS) at around 3min. When returning to GPS mode again, CG035 showed some irregular rotation but after 1-2 sec, it back to nomal flight.

CG035 RTH from 574M (0.36miles) (3 min 40 sec)

Aiolosimport
May 20, 2017, 11:30 PM
Very cool aiolosimport ! These little CGs seem to fly a surprisingly long distance. As you suggest, the area you are flying in is your only bottle neck. I do most of my long range flights over the lake, early in the morning so there is very minimal interference, if any. I would guess that with your antenna mod, and in a "clean" flight area, you may set a new distance record for the CG035! Good use of the control modes on your return flight!