Nov 03, 2016, 11:37 AM
GOT WINGS
Mini-Review

AOSENMA CG035 Brushless Double GPS 5.8G FPV With 1080P HD Gimbal Camera Follow Me Mod

AOSENMA CG035 Brushless Double GPS 5.8G FPV With 1080P HD Gimbal Camera Follow Me Mode RC Quadcopter

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. Banggood ordered this quad for me on October 19, 2016, but it remained at Ready to Process, and never showed as shipped or had a tracking number. It arrived on October 31,2016 with no damage. It was shipped by expedited shipping service, 12 days from order to arrival, very good transit time. It is well packaged and the box measures 420 x 260 x 150 millimeters. I have seen one other review thread on this quad but my experience with it is a little different than his, and I think this is a good quad worth considering. Pictures:
Name: zcgo35bx.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 54.1 KB
Description: Name: zcg035bx2.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 52.8 KB
Description: Name: zcg035bx3.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 47.7 KB
Description: Name: zcg035bx4.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 77.6 KB
Description: Name: zcg035bxcnt.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 62.1 KB
Description: Name: zcg035bxcnt2.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 84.6 KB
Description:

First Impression and Description

This quad is 250mm size and it seems nicely built. The body seems fairly stiff and it has a solid feel to it. It is all white with some small silver stripes on the front and gray brushless Emax 1806 2300KV motors. It has white props, prop guards, and landing gear. The landing gear is stiff and does not look like it will hold up well to hard landings. Camera, prop guards, and landing gear must be assembled. It has LEDs under each arm, and on the bottom of each motor. LEDs are red under front arms and green under front motors. LEDs are green under back arms and blue under rear motors. It also has two eyes at the front of the body that light up blue. The battery is proprietary, encased in a plastic shell, and is almost as long ans the fuselage. Battery is rated as 2S, 2600mah, with no C rating. Battery has a fixed T-Dean connector that mates with the connector built into the inside front of the battery bay. It comes with a 1080mp camera and a 2 axis gimbal with brushed motors. The kit also includes a 4.3 inch FPV monitor. There is an on/off switch on the bottom. It has a mini USB port on the left side, and three three pin connectors on the bottom for the camera. It has Flysky protocol. The transmitter is all white with silver switches and sticks, it does not have trim buttons, has 3 buttons and on/off on front, and 4 shoulder buttons. Switches are both 3 position. It also has altitude hold, GPS/Glonass system, and another GPS in the transmitter to enable Follow Me mode. The manual is really bad and it is hard to figure out some functions from the instructions. In the past few weeks, I have seen this model selling for as little as $199.99 and as much as $227.99 at Banggood. There is also a version without the camera for $174.99 and a version without camera or GPS for $99.99 at Banggood.
Name: zzcg035qd.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 61.6 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035qd2.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 57.6 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035qd3.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 72.5 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035qd4.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 56.4 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035led.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 53.7 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035led2.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 60.0 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035led3.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 52.0 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035led4.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 48.2 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:

Brand name:AOSENMA
Item name: CG035
Frequency : 2.4G
Channel : 4CH
Gyro:6 Axis
FPV: 5.8G
Motor Type: Brushless Motor
Control Distance: 300m
Transmitter Power: 4 x 1.5V AA battery(not included)
Battery: 7.4V 2600mAh Lipo battery (included)
Charging time: 65 mins
Flying Time: 15-20mins
Controller Mode: Mode 2,can be calibrated to mode 1
Product size (L x W x H): 33 x 33 x 13.7 cm
Package size (L x W x H): 44x 37 x 9.3 cm

Features:
With 1080P HD gimbal camera
Brushless Motor strong power to the quadcopter
With double GPS,one in the drone and the other in the transmitter,it can set hight and achieve " Follow me function".
With Headless Mode,no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying
One key to return function makes it easily to find the way home. Failsafe Return to home
With Surround feature,can surround the point
With Follow me function, aircraft follower remote controller,arbitrary and easy manipulation.Telemetry and mission planner by default.
With 2.4G Transmiter/ Easy Adjust Frequency
6 axis gyro fly system makes more stable and flexible flight.
Transmitter can switch freely between Mode 1 and Mode 2

Functions:
GPS fixed point and set high, Headless mode, One key return, Forward/backward,Sideward flight,Turn left/right,Up/down,With light

Package Included:
1 x CG035 Quadcopter
1 x Camera
1 x FPV monitor
1 x Transmitter
1 x 7.4V 2600mAh Lipo Battery
4 x Propeller
1 x USB Charger
1 x Manual

Dimensions and Weights

Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----250mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----177mm
MTM Front to Back-----177mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----65mm
Transmitter measures-----150 x 150 x50 mm .................................Transmitter Sticks-----91mm CTC x 20mm tall
Props measure-----153.8 mm................................................ ..................Motors--24.8 x 20 mm
Quadcopter body weight-----300.0 grams............................................. All up weight-----518.8 grams
Landing gear-----18.2 grams............................................. .......................Prop guards-----22.3 grams
Battery-----131.6 grams............................................. ...............................Camera---46.6
grams

Range of quad/fpv-----800 feet plus......................................... ... ............Battery bay-----120.0 x 36.0 x 17.0 mm
Battery measures-----110.3 x 34.0 x 14.5 mm

Transmitter

The transmitter is sightly larger than a WLtoys V2x2 transmitter smaller than an XK X7 tx or a Cheerson CX-20 tx. It has a bright red LED power indicator center front and 4 dimmer red LEDs under front buttons. It has no LCD display screen or trim buttons. The 4 LEDs from left to right indicate status: 1st: GPS lock if not lit, 2nd: tx GPS if not lit, 3rd: out of range if on, and 4th: battery alarm.
Bottom left button on front is 4 way to adjust camera tilt, center button is A Key Landing and initiates auto take off/landing, and upper center button is power switch. Two 3 position switches near top front are SWA on the right and SWB on the left - these are called SW1 and SW2 in the manual.Altitude hold, GPS, Fly around, Follow me, Return to home, and Headless mode are controlled by these switches. SWC on the right shoulder controls Auto follow me and SWD on the left shoulder controls photos and videos. The plastic knub antenna serves as a mount for the monitor. Sticks are a decent length but are not adjustable and cannot easily be replaced with standard 3mm adjustable sticks. Both sticks are spring loaded to center. The manual has instructions to change from left to right throttle, or Mode 2 to Mode 1 transmitter control. It also shows a procedure for calibrating the transmitter, but that is difficult to understand. I took apart the transmitter to check the top right shoulder button because I have not been able to get it to work, but I did not find a loose wire or anything obvious. There is one vertical and one horizontal transmitter antennas inside the tx. I will include pictures of inside the transmitter, two show the GPS.
Name: zzcg035txcmp.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 78.0 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035txbutton.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 125.9 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035txset.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 104.2 KB
Description:

First Flights

First flight was without prop guards or camera, with landing gear, at night in about a 75 square foot area with a wind break because the wind was blowing at least 15 mph. It GPS kept it very stable and held position considering the wind. Yaw rate was good. LEDs are plenty bright, the rear green LEDs are almost two bight at eye level and up close. I used the auto take off and landing procedure, I could not arm the motors manually as instructed in the manual. It was a short first flight.

Second flight, still without camera, but with prop guards on, was timed at about 11 minutes. Wind was less than 10mph. Altitude hold worked very well as did the GPS position hold. Speed and power are decent. Funnels and yaw are fairly good. The transmitter started beeping at abpit 7 minutes which I think means the quad's battery is getting low. The beeping is not really loud, in fact, because it was a little windy, at times I could not even hear it and thought the beeping might come from the quad. Even with full forward pitch it held the altitude well.

Third flight again without camera, this time without prop guards, and timed the flight at 14.5 minutes, lvc beeps started about 9 minutes. The battery voltage at rest was 3.7 volts per cell. The quad lands itself when the battery gets too low but in the manual it says to keep altitude low after lvc warning starts. I did a range test in an open field but turned back at about 800 feet with no loss of controls, I am pretty sure it could have gone farther. Very good range with no antenna mod. I tried to get the quad to follow me mode but was unsuccessful.

Fourth flight I tried out some balanced Gemfan 6045 props - green in front and orange in back. The timer measured 13.5 minutes. I tried the circle a fixed point function and the quad made a very large circle over 100 feet in diameter. I still could not get the follow me to work. Lvc warning again came on at a little over halfway through the fight. Again the battery voltage at rest was down to about 3.7 volts per cell. I also still was not able to start the motors manually as per manual instructions, but the motors do shut down if you hold the throttle stick to zero. I did try to calibrate the transmitter before this flight but still have to figure out how to calibrate the quad.

Fifth flight I put the original props back on after balancing them. Timed this flight at about 14.5 minutes, so the stock props are better for flight length. The stock props were very close to balanced out of the box. I will probably try some other props later. I got the circle function down to about 35 foot diameter but am not sure what I did differently unless it has to do with the amount of stick deflection used to iniate it. Still could not get the follow me function to work, but it may be something I am doing wrong. I did find out that to start the motors manually you must hold both sticks to the bottom outside. Near the end of the useful battery charge this time I paid close attention to the position hold and the quad never dritfed more than 2 feet in any direction. Another owner of this quad wrote that his, while in position hold, when flown in any direction will continue in that direction for a while after releasing pitch/aileron stick, but I have not had that problem with mine.

UPDATE 11-06-2016 I finally got the follow me function to work. Turns out I was pushing the wrong button, there are left and right or upper and lower on the right shoulder button, I was trying to get follow me to work by pushing the right/lower button, it works just fine if you push the left/upper button. And the manual is clear on that, I just did not look at the picture close enough. For follow me, SWA can be in any position, SWB must be in position 2, and SWC is pressed quickly. Seems to work well with the quad in GPS position hold. When SWC is pressed, the quad will then turn towards the transmitter, and will stay that distance from the transmitter as the transmitter is moved around. But if the quad is about 20 feet or less away from the transmitter, it may not line up with the front of the quad pointing directly at the transmitter. At distances farther away, it lines up best.

Update 12/07/2016
I was forced to use the return home feature today when I lost orientation during LOS flying out at 500 to 800 feet. I looked down to flip to return home on the transmitter, looked back up, and couldn't see the quad anymore. Not a good feeling. About 30 seconds later it came back into view headed straight for me at a height of may 75 to 100 feet. It started coming down right above me and I thought it was going to land on my head, but it landed about 3 feet in front of me. Best return home feature I have seen to date on any quad.

Range

The range is advertized as 300 meters.The range without any antenna modifications is at least 800 feet - I flew it out that far without trying a serious range test and flew it back. When I flew it that far I was having some trouble with orientation at that distance. I have not checked the failsafe at this point.

Battery and Charge cord

The battery is rated at 2600mah and has no C rating. The battery came with a storage charge of 7.63 volts. It is proprietary and is encased in a plastic housing with a built in T-Deans plug. Mine actually slides in and out easily and latches securely, I have read that others were difficult at first. It arrived storage charged at 3.89 volts, a little high. After each flight, the battery has measured close to 3.7 volts per cell and the cell voltages were equal. The stock charger charges using only the balance plug and has ports to charge two batteries at once. I have not tried it yet except to top off a battery and it charged to 4.22 volts on each cell. I charged it with an Imax B6 and it put about 2400mahs back in with the battery starting at 20%. I took the battery case apart to see what type of battery was inside because a review I read stated that their battery was only 2200mah. The battery has 3200mah printed on the blue shrink wrap. It seems longer and thinner than other 2S batteries that I have and it could be difficult to find similar sized batteries. Spare battery listed as 3000mah for $25.99 US here: http://www.banggood.com/AOSENMA-CG03...l?rmmds=search .
Name: zcg035bat.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 74.0 KB
Description: Name: zcg035batcas.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 55.8 KB
Description:

Update on stock charger - 11/11/16
I decider to try out the stock charger and put the battery on it then timed it. It was on there for well over 2 hours, I am thinking it was 3 hours, and I was using an Ipad 2A wall wort.

Quad comparison

This quad is smaller than a Syma X8HC and a CX-20 which are 350mm sized quads it measures 250mm motor to motor. Props are the same length as 6045 Gemfans I have and also have close to the same pitch. The GPS on this quad holds position better than the GPS on the CX-20.
Name: zcg035qdcomp.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 67.1 KB
Description: Name: zcg035qdcomp2.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 71.5 KB
Description:

Conclusion
The AO SenMa CG035 looks good and seems put together well. It has fair pitch and yaw, is very stable, has good power, and a good GPS system. It should make a good camera quad. It is not a fast and sporty flyer, but with the brushless motors has decent speed. It has decent flight time without the camera and prop guards, I would expect the camera to take about 3 minutes off the flight time. LEDs are good for low light flying and also help in daylight. Range out of the box is very good and might be improved by antenna repositioning. It has good altitude hold and GPS position hold, these features might help a beginner, though the weight could make for some expensive crashes, and someone who has limited flying skills might not be able to take over manually when needed. The quad is loaded with features and seems to be a good value. I have not tried the camera yet because I have been trying to figure out how to use all the different flight modes. The only GPS quad I have to compare it to is a stock Cheerson CX-20 that I have had less than a month. The CX-20 can be set up for waypoint flying and so far no one has been able to do that with the CG035. For close to the same price, the CG035 has more features and also comes with a 5.8ghz FPV system. So far I think I like the CG035 better straight out of the box. If you are looking for a good entry level GPS equipped quad with camera and lots of features, this quad might be a good choice for you. If the manual was better so that I was not spending so much time trying to figure out the flight features, I would rate this quad at a 9, but I rate it about an 8 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely built/good looking design.
Flysky protocol
Decent transmitter.
Good altitude hold.
Good power.
Good flight times.
Lipo can be charged with balance charger.
LEDs for night flying.
On/off switch.
Stable/easy to control.
Very good GPS.
Brushless motors.
Good range.
Very good return home feature.

Cons
All white, not good for orientation.
Proprietary battery.
Red LEDs in front.
Poorly written/hard to understand instruction manual.
No software currently available to program quad.
Switches and buttons on transmitter could be laid out better.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $222.99 USD shipped: http://www.banggood.com/AOSENMA-CG03...l?rmmds=search

Spare parts are already available at Banggood here: https://www.banggood.com/search/cg035-parts.html .
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 07, 2016 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2016, 11:38 AM
GOT WINGS
Reserved for camera, photos, and video.

I have spent several days and flights trying to learn all the different flight modes and have not had a chance to check out the camera.
Hopefully camera testing soon.

Camera gimbal - 11/14/2016
I finally got a chance to mount the camera and gimbal then try them out. The gimbal did seem to try to level the camera in the initial test done by hand, but it did not do a very good job. So I tried a flight to see how the gimbal does, and the slightest movement of the quad causes the angle of the camera to change without it moving back to the initial position. So I set the quad up on a level surface and took pictures to show how the gimbal does not keep the camera level. first two pictures show intial positions, second two pictures show the position of the gimbal after picking up the quad and tilting it in various directions:
Name: zcg035gmbl.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 89.8 KB
Description: Name: zcg035gmbl2.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 119.9 KB
Description:

Name: zcg035gmbl4.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 99.7 KB
Description: Name: zcg035gmbl3.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 121.2 KB
Description:

I do like this quad alot, but I am very disappointed in the camera gimbal. In my opinion, the weight of the gimbal is not worth having on the quad because the gimbal does not do a good job of keeping the camera level.

Update 11/20/2016
Since I did not like the way the gimbal worked, I took it all apart and built a different mount to use the camera without the gimbal. At first I tried plugging the camera directly into one of the gimbal ports, but the 5 volts at the gimbal port is too much for the camera so I added an external battery - I had taken the internal battery out. The battery I am using is 200mah, but there is room to put larger batteries in between the camera and the mounting plate and they fit snugly. Here are some pictures of the mounted canera:
Name: zcg035cammt.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 62.4 KB
Description: Name: zcg035cammt2.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 59.9 KB
Description: Name: zcg035cammt3.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 57.6 KB
Description: Name: zcg035cammt4.jpg
Size: 60.1 KB
Description: Name: zcg035cammt5.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 63.2 KB
Description:

The camera assembly with the gimbal weighed 46.6 grams. Without battery/gimbal, and with my mount it weighs 22.7 grams. The battery I used added 7.0 grams. Here are a couple of cropped, but not altered otherwise pictures:
Name: zcg035pic.jpg
Size: 63.2 KB
Description: Name: zcg035pic2.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 40.5 KB
Description:

The monitor display shows the video channel, RSSI, RX voltage and percentage, and TX battery level. It also shows if you do not have a memory card in the camera, and has a timer at the bottom for video recording time:
Name: cg035monitr.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 105.3 KB
Description: Name: zcg035monitor2.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 87.6 KB
Description:

11/23/2016
Here is a short video of the quad flying. In this video I am flying it in GPS position hold mode. I first do some flying fast forward, then I do circle mode, then follow me mode, and finally return home. I have not made a lot of videos in the past, so I lack experience. The quad functions well in all the modes.
MINI0001 (4 min 29 sec)

I also recorded a video with the stock camera at the same time I was recording the above video. Here it is:
PICT0001 (4 min 17 sec)

Looks like the lens might be dirty or out of focus. Keep in mind that is the 720P camera, not the 1080P camera that the quad comes with now.

12/17/2016 MC02 camera

Here are some pictures of the MC02 and my camera mount. Camera is mounted in dental floss box. Hope to power it with CG035 camera plugs. Weight of MC02 camera and mount will be about 16 grams compared to stock camera, mount, and battery weight of about 30 grams.
Name: zzcgcammnt.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 69.5 KB
Description: Name: zzcgcmmnt2.jpg
Size: 50.5 KB
Description: Name: zzcmmnt3.jpg
Size: 65.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM.
Nov 03, 2016, 11:39 AM
GOT WINGS
reserved for teardown and modifications.

Minor mods: I added a handle made of tubing to the transmitter and made a label with the different flying modes - I lined up the table to match the position of SWB and SWA, in the manual SWA is first in the tables.
Name: zztxlabel.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 66.6 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035label.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 113.7 KB
Description:

12/17/2016I finally got around to doing a teardown

I took the body apart so I could attach a camera mount I made. There are 22 screws, all the same, and you must remove the props to seperate the body. Don't have to remove the landing gear. The body fits together tightly so even with all the screws out it takes some careful prying to separate it. The GPS unit is plugged in, but the front LED wires are directly soldered. Still, with the GPS unplugged, it is easy to get the body parts separated enough. Plenty of foil covers the GPS unit to prevent other electronics from interfering with it. Escs and LED wiring are a snug fit in the arms. On mine, the red board was mounted at an angle on foam as you can see in the pictures. Am wondering if that is why when I went to follow me mode, the angle it pointed was just a little bit off. So I loosened and straightened it. Took about 15 minutes to carefully put the body back together and replace all the screws. Pictures:
Name: zzcg035in.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 147.4 KB
Description: Name: zzcgin2.jpg
Views: 126
Size: 111.5 KB
Description: Name: zzcgchip.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 117.6 KB
Description: Name: zzcgchip2.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 134.1 KB
Description: Name: zzcgbd.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 154.0 KB
Description: Name: zzcgesc.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 90.0 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Nov 03, 2016, 01:54 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks like a really promising model, nice to see it using standard props.
Nov 04, 2016, 03:27 AM
Leo
I hear mixed reviews about it. Will try to test it.
Nov 06, 2016, 06:22 PM
GOT WINGS
Follow Me mode
I finally got the follow me function to work. Turns out I was pushing the wrong button, there are left and right or upper and lower on the right shoulder button, I was trying to get follow me to work by pushing the right/lower button, it works just fine if you push the left/upper button. And the manual is clear on that, I just did not look at the picture close enough. For follow me, SWA can be in any position, SWB must be in position 2, and SWC is pressed quickly. Seems to work well with the quad in GPS position hold. When SWC is pressed, the quad will then turn towards the transmitter, and will stay that distance from the transmitter as the transmitter is moved around. But if the quad is about 20 feet or less away from the transmitter, it may not line up with the front of the quad pointing directly at the transmitter. At distances farther away, it lines up best.
Nov 06, 2016, 06:36 PM
GOT WINGS
I forgot to add these pictures of the inside of the transmitter and the transmitter GPS in the first post:
Name: zzc035txinsd.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 135.8 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035txgpssn.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 90.7 KB
Description: Name: zzcg035txgps.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 87.8 KB
Description:
Nov 11, 2016, 08:28 PM
GOT WINGS
I have had windy or wet weather almost everyday for the last week and the few times I might have been able to fly other responsibilities prevented it. Then two nights ago I pulled the battery out of the quad to charge it so that I could take it with me to fly yesterday.

DO NOT LEAVE THE BATTERY PLUGGED INTO THE QUAD FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FLY IT. I know that is common knowledge, I also know better than to do it, but I did. 3 nights ago I plugged in the battery to check out the gimbal after mounting the camera and forgot to unplug a fully charged battery. It was plugged in I think for about 24 hours. It was discharged down close to 2 volts. My balance charger will reject a battery that is under 3 volts, so it wouldn't balance charge. I think I managed to save the battery, but I ordered a spare anyway.

I was planning on ordering another battery because I do like flying this quad and would like to be able to use it more.
Nov 13, 2016, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know what type of props is this quad using? Is it a 6030? 6045?

EDIT: Oops missed the part where you mention Gemfan 6045. Sorry for that
Nov 13, 2016, 08:00 PM
GOT WINGS
The prop mount/shaft is M5, so 5mm. Gemfan 6045 are the same length and very close to the same pitch. I actually ordered some of these: http://www.banggood.com/2-Pairs-DALP...mds=mywishlist . It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get them, will report back when I do.
Nov 13, 2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info siriusflier. Do you think a 6045 or 5045 3-blade will work also?
Nov 14, 2016, 10:01 AM
GOT WINGS
6045 or 5045 3-blade will work. The Gemfan 6045s cut my flight time, and 3 blade props are generally less efficient than 2 blades. I am not a fan of 3 blade props, I have tried them a few times, didn't like them, and quickly went back to 2 blades.
Nov 14, 2016, 10:33 AM
Hi bos ...after teardown the tx, did it possible to do mod added range?
(This is a valuable point to me for buying this drone)
Nov 14, 2016, 02:43 PM
GOT WINGS
I think it is possible to mod the transmitters to add range, but I got very good range with the transmitter antennas just as they are, at least 800 feet, but I did not actually try a range test.
Nov 14, 2016, 08:54 PM
GOT WINGS
Added information and pictures about the camera gimbal to post #2.