Nov 10, 2016, 01:20 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
WOW! That will take some effort.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2016, 06:17 PM
TLAR Aviation
To possibly save someone time and effort (and probably add to the confusion) here's the Air Trails August 1945 article.
Nov 11, 2016, 12:15 AM
Thank you! I love seeing the old ads too!
Nov 11, 2016, 04:33 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Harry,

article and plans look useful.

john
Nov 11, 2016, 11:45 AM
I played hooky last night and this morning from the Brett drawing so I could finish the 1945 Vagabond.

I posted it in "Vintage & Old-Timer Per 1960 Plans Only" Hope you all enjoy.

Gene
Nov 14, 2016, 09:00 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
I played hooky last night and this morning from the Brett drawing so I could finish the 1945 Vagabond.
Gene
You have to do that once in a while to clear the mind.
Nov 14, 2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56

I posted it in "Vintage & Old-Timer Per 1960 Plans Only" Hope you all enjoy.

Gene
Good for you Gene!
Dec 05, 2016, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
still ticking along albeit slowly - too much going on elsewhere.

pics show almost completed wing and the fuselage sides on the board.

john
Jan 10, 2017, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
best wishes to all for the new year - good building and flying.

finally got back to the building board - progress on fuselage - skeleton complete and ready to move onto nose end.

photos show wings and fuselage bits and assembled.

metre stick shown for scale

wing tips and UC removable as mentioned earlier

john
Jan 10, 2017, 08:30 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Coming along nicely John.
Jan 10, 2017, 09:44 AM
Stick building at it it's finest!
Jan 10, 2017, 12:43 PM
In the Dunes
I built the "revisited" Vagabond from MAN plans back in '98. Very enjoyable build and a great looking model with a Magnum .25 up front. It had a marvelous glide, but (like someone else said) it Dutch rolled heavily. It ended up getting caught in an "Arboreal Vortex" where a large oak reached out and grabbed it. The wing came down no damage and I still have it. Maybe this thread will inspire another fuselage.
Papermache
Jan 10, 2017, 02:34 PM
TLAR Aviation
That's going to be a very nice model, John, especially the way you do them.

I was interested to see the comment in Post #42 about the dutch rolling. I was considering building the Vagobond myself some time ago, and my first thought on looking at the plan was that the vertical fin/rudder area was a bit small. Not as bad as some, but still on the small side IMO.

Have you considered enlarging it? Without exception, I've always enlarged the vertical fin area on every model of that type I've built in the last several years, and have never regretted it. No dutch roll, and no downsides that I've ever seen.

How much to increase the area? TLAR design principles, as always. I usually seemed to end up with anywhere from 10 to 30% increase, depending on the model.

Of course, there are those who believe that nothing should be changed with these oldtimers, and that's fair enough. But I'm always more interested in getting a sweet flying model.

Just a thought, very much FWIW.

Jan 10, 2017, 04:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
I'm very much of one accord with Harry in that, if changes are needed to produce the type of handling I want, then I make them, often increasing the fin area whilst retaining the overall shape. However, I can see that this sometimes seems to alter the character of a model if the vertical tail is changed too much, and if this is an important consideration then as an alternative one can change a flat plate fin/rudder to a much thicker symet section and achieve the same result whilst retaining the original area.
Jan 11, 2017, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
thanks for input re dutch rolling - with 3 posts referring to this problem with the Vagabond, I dont think I can ignore it so..........

I drew up a 10% increase on the fin area - mainly all at front, leaving rudder area same. I will also up the 1/4" frame to 3/8" sq. and sand in a symmetrical section.

neither of these changes will alter the basic shape by much and hopefully that will do the trick altho........ increase is at front of fin and I wonder if part of the rolling problem is due to the majority of the fin area being well forward altho the large underfin being well to the rear should compensate??

john

Quick Reply