Nov 02, 2016, 06:12 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Discussion

GoPro Hero 5 Black as FPV

So, this is my first forum post here at rcgroups and i hope i did it right..

I just got my Hero 5 Black the other day on warranty, since i crashed my Tarot 650 ironMan with DJI Naza M V2 (i am still confused over what happend, it did not respond on any input and just went straight to the ground).

My Hero 4 Black was attached to the GLB gimbal, and the gimbal works, but the GoPro was dead.

My first thought was "I dont want that, cause it will not fit my GLB gibal, and it have USB Type-C" but i could not get money back, and i also have an SJCAM 5000 i can use.

I have tried to search for solutions on "Hero 5 FPV" but it is hard to find, since the camera is new.

However, i have ordered one USB Type-C cabel and also an adapter

The cabel will be cut and solder to see if that works, but first i will try the adapter with my SJCAM cable, just to see if it can transmit trough the USB.

Please feel free to follow this thread, and i will try to answer as many as possible.
I hope i can get the adapter or the cabel soon, but aliexpress usually have 20+ shipping days, even if i sometimes got the products within 7 days.

I have also sent an e-mail to HobbyKing and Banggood about the Velcro straps for GoPro Hero 5 and ask if it possible for those to create such a product.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2016, 06:13 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP

Hdmi2av

So.. I finally decided to build my HDMI box (Never mind the JST connector, it's just for test)
I dont really know if i am going to use this since there are some other issues to use GoPro 5 in FPV.
The HDMI cabel itself is very thick for the 3-axis gimbal, (i know there are ribbon cables out there, and i might buy one and try) also the cover for the HDMI on the camera is also a problem for the gimbal when it is open.

I did try this setup, and yes, it does work! You can also record while in "monitor" mode on the gopro.

I will thank you all for testing and trying and come up with feedback.
I did bought a SJCAM 5000 just for FPV shots, but it is frustrating when you have a gopro!

I will also see if i can make a 3D printed "holder" for the GoPro.
Last edited by HBN; Mar 08, 2017 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Update with HDMI build
Nov 02, 2016, 06:14 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Reserved #2
Nov 03, 2016, 03:54 PM
I am quite frustrated,I would love to hook up 5black to my tx..I hope you find out how to do it..
Nov 04, 2016, 03:27 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markonjam
I am quite frustrated,I would love to hook up 5black to my tx..I hope you find out how to do it..
As soon as the cable and adapter arrive, i will let you know!
It has been shipped by seller, one of the items is also provided with tracking id

I did not get any respond from HK yet, but banggood wrote me back, and they will forward this to product specalist if i got them right.
Nov 04, 2016, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
As soon as the cable and adapter arrive, i will let you know!
It has been shipped by seller, one of the items is also provided with tracking id

I did not get any respond from HK yet, but banggood wrote me back, and they will forward this to product specalist if i got them right.
May the force be with you!

In the meantime, I found a possible solution, but I am not sure. Skyzone TX-5D 5.8vtx has HDMI video input, now I only wonder, if the Hero5 will work with that...I'll try to find the HDMI cable somewhere in stock, so I can test live video feed while recording.
Nov 04, 2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
So, this is my first forum post here at rcgroups and i hope i did it right..

I just got my Hero 5 Black the other day on warranty, since i crashed my Tarot 650 ironMan with DJI Naza M V2 (i am still confused over what happend, it did not respond on any input and just went straight to the ground).

My Hero 4 Black was attached to the GLB gimbal, and the gimbal works, but the GoPro was dead.

My first thought was "I dont want that, cause it will not fit my GLB gibal, and it have USB Type-C" but i could not get money back, and i also have an SJCAM 5000 i can use.

I have tried to search for solutions on "Hero 5 FPV" but it is hard to find, since the camera is new.

However, i have ordered one USB Type-C cabel and also an adapter

The cabel will be cut and solder to see if that works, but first i will try the adapter with my SJCAM cable, just to see if it can transmit trough the USB.

Please feel free to follow this thread, and i will try to answer as many as possible.
I hope i can get the adapter or the cabel soon, but aliexpress usually have 20+ shipping days, even if i sometimes got the products within 7 days.

I have also sent an e-mail to HobbyKing and Banggood about the Velcro straps for GoPro Hero 5 and ask if it possible for those to create such a product.
I hope you have better luck than I have.
First I tried a C type cable, cut the normal size USB plug off the other end and tried splicing in the wiring to the TX board. Tried all sorts of combinations of wiring but no luck.
Then tried a cable with a C type plug at one end and a mini USB socket at the other end. Thinking was that I could use the lead I use with the Hero 3 and simply plug it into the mini socket. Again didn't work.
I also have wondered about using the wifi on the GoPro but that would mean using two screens. One for the FPV and one for the OSD info.
Also a bit concerned that it my interfer with the drone controls.

Hope you can find a solution.
Nov 06, 2016, 10:53 AM
I've just ordered one of the Skyzone TX boards so hopefully that will solve the problem.
It does come with a mini HDMI both ends cable so should plug straight into the 5s HDMI socket. Fingers crossed.
Looks like a longish way to receive it though.
Nov 07, 2016, 03:30 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwy
I hope you have better luck than I have.
First I tried a C type cable, cut the normal size USB plug off the other end and tried splicing in the wiring to the TX board. Tried all sorts of combinations of wiring but no luck.
Then tried a cable with a C type plug at one end and a mini USB socket at the other end. Thinking was that I could use the lead I use with the Hero 3 and simply plug it into the mini socket. Again didn't work.
I also have wondered about using the wifi on the GoPro but that would mean using two screens. One for the FPV and one for the OSD info.
Also a bit concerned that it my interfer with the drone controls.

Hope you can find a solution.
Damn, that didn't gave me much hope..
But i will try anyway I will not give up!

Maybe this will be something to work with?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2043554

Quote:
Originally Posted by briwy
I've just ordered one of the Skyzone TX boards so hopefully that will solve the problem.
It does come with a mini HDMI both ends cable so should plug straight into the 5s HDMI socket. Fingers crossed.
Looks like a longish way to receive it though.
If that works, please let me know..
However, i think that the HDMI cable can be a bit tricky to "fit" in my 3-axis gimbal.
Nov 08, 2016, 07:46 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing
Good day and Thank you for reaching HobbyKing!

We received your proposed idea. We appreciate your feedback. Your proposal has been forwarded to our product development team. You will receive a response as soon as it has been reviewed.
Got this reply from HobbyKing, just hoping that they will start selling this

Banggood answered that they dont have any plans for selling that right now..

This is about the Velcro for GoPro, but for the Hero 5 Black.

Its not that hard to do your self, but i dont have a 3D printer,
Of course you can just take a rubberband etc. but it feels better and easier to mount camera with this velcro strap.
Nov 10, 2016, 05:23 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPro

Hello.

Thank you so much for reaching out to us at GoPro Support.

We understand that you are trying to set up your brand new HERO 5 in order to have remote video while using your drone.

Unfortunately, as you might understand, we are not allowed to offer you support when it comes to using Third party Hardware,
and specially when trying to to use custom cables.

With that in mind, we would like to let you know that the USB-C port on the HERO 5 model cameras, do not carry video.
There might be a third party converter option on the market for that purpose, but we cannot advise or elaborate on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope that you manage to find a solution.

In the meanwhile, if you have any other questions doubts or concerns, please don't hesitate in reaching out to us.

Many Thanks,

Roger H.
GoPro Support
http://gopro.com/support
This was NOT any good news!
Since the USB-C doesn't carry video, there is no point of even try to solder a cabel for this..
So, now i will try to get a HDMI cabel to my TX, but this might be a bit tricky since HDMI has digital signal and my TX is analog.
And for this i need a converter so i will try with the HDMI mini converter.

as for now, the easiest way is to just buy a TX-5D but i don't want it the easy way!

I will also give a thanks to briwy who already tried this.
Nov 10, 2016, 12:08 PM
I have a hdmi to 200mw transmitter ill sell you for 20.
Nov 16, 2016, 05:38 AM
Anybody have any luck with this yet? I too am looking for a solution.
Nov 18, 2016, 06:31 AM
I'm hoping for a response on this one too. I'd really like to confirm that I will be able to have OSD overlay which is analogue only and use my existing transmitters.

J
Nov 19, 2016, 01:59 AM
HBN
HBN
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek5
I have a hdmi to 200mw transmitter ill sell you for 20.
Thank You, but i already bought a Mini HDMI to Av on 11.11 If nothing else works (probably not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf8181
Anybody have any luck with this yet? I too am looking for a solution.
I have not recieved my order yet, but i will let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMonster
I'm hoping for a response on this one too. I'd really like to confirm that I will be able to have OSD overlay which is analogue only and use my existing transmitters

J
I am not sure, but i think you can use OSD on my second solution with an HDMI2AV box..
I will update this post when i recieve my package

Quick Reply