This thread is privately moderated by circuitfxr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2016, 09:36 PM
Resistance is futile
Thread OP
Discussion

Stellar survives Hurricane Matthew! Back home now

Good news all! The Simply Stellar has been successfully retrieved from the hurricane stricken lake. She actually faired very well. After several days of drying out she is ready for some electrical testing. The cause of the stranding was determined as a broken battery holder for the receiver. No power to the receiver or servo will definitely stop you dead in your tracks!

I have added some photos of the damage here. There is a more video of the rescue and the damage on the Simply Stellar build thread in Dock Talk. The only structural damage was the transom. A new transom is being fabricated as we speak. The battery pack is toast and the receiver too. too much corrosion at the connectors and too much time in water.

We have a new radio system for her. My brother got an ESC without a BEC and no reverse. (trying to save money) and that forced me to use an old battery holder that had fatigued plastic. The plastic cracked under the pressure of the high speed bumps and we lost control.
You will see the holder in the photos. Water pump, drive motor and steering servo have not been tested yet.

She will rise again!

We will keep you updated the best we can.

Lets give the Stellar a big Hoorah! for her seaworthiness through a major hurricane! Anyone still doubting foamboard as a RC boat construction material? hee hee I didn't think so....
Last edited by circuitfxr; Nov 01, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply