Sep 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
Good luck with your search. We all loose if you can not find that plane! I wish that I was in your area to help search and do some recon with you.

Good Luck!

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2004, 11:00 AM
pfm
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nolan (eBird)
The area I lost it cannot be bigger than about 3 acres of swampy, snake infested marshy muddy mess-land, so I am on the way after typing this to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy some hip waders and a machete.
Well, at least it doesn't have leeches. Probably.

Best of luck, Steve. My best advice is to follow a search pattern and to extend your search range about 30% farther than you'd have thought it ever could have gone.
Sep 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
i know how it feels..one time i lost my super stick 40 in a 5 foot high field. took me 8 hours but i found it.

still though, if u have an old plane and an old camera try taking some pics of the area and maybe you will snap a pic of your plane.
Last edited by Skullder; Sep 19, 2004 at 11:12 AM.
Sep 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
Recreational Engineer
Bad break Steve - keep looking!

Better try a rough spiral search. I've found some far away from where I was sure they went down.
Sep 19, 2004, 12:58 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Steve, Good luck hunting for your plane (I hope you find it) Remember that marsh land is very soft so your plane could be all in one piece just waiting for you to come get her When you find your plane PLEASE buy a beeper (LMA) so you can find it easier next time. Under $20 and good insurance. ...R...
Sep 19, 2004, 01:12 PM
Sink Ends Thermal Delights
Hey Steve-

Sorry to hear of your loss....I'm glad to see you are not giving up the search.

Keep us posted on your adventures in the marsh! Good luck

scott
Sep 19, 2004, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost plane. If I lived near you I'd send my AP platform out and fly a pattern over the area. Maybe we would see something.

--Gary
Sep 19, 2004, 01:33 PM

Lost AP Ship

Steve,

I do hope you take a camera with you while you are looking. You can make a few great shots and will make the "I Found It!" story even better.

Keep us posted on the progress,

Roger
Sep 19, 2004, 01:43 PM
I think the lesson to be learnt here like in most disasters is to not be casual in your flying. I think it was the familiiarity of the place that made you take it easy and then it went wrong. In most new places you are alert. Well wish you all the luck.
Sunil
Sep 19, 2004, 02:50 PM
I once lost a plane out in a swamp. We took a bearing on where it was last seen, went and got some waders and went after it with a compass. The marsh grass was easily eight feet tall so it was really hard to see anything. Eventually I found it and amazingly it had landed on a small island (maybe 20ft by 20ft) hidden in the middle of all the grass and cattails. It had put itself down right on its wheels with no damage and it didn't even get wet.

Hope yours turns out as well.

Mike
Sep 19, 2004, 02:55 PM
Peakaboo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhye
I think the lesson to be learnt here like in most disasters is to not be casual in your flying. I think it was the familiiarity of the place that made you take it easy and then it went wrong. In most new places you are alert. Well wish you all the luck.
Sunil

Losing an expensive AP plane in a marsh, for sure, is a sad experience. But there are even sader things in life, such as losing an expensive AP plane over inhabited places. You know, that kind of places where people use to own even more expensive cars and houses....(When it happens, I'm sure you wish you forgot to write your phone number on your AP plane)

Gwelan
Sep 19, 2004, 02:57 PM
Good luck Steve... that which does not kill you and all!
Sep 19, 2004, 05:24 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Thread OP

defeated

Well, I spent about 5 hours today searching. Went out and got some waders, a machete, and headed out. I must have looked like a commando with the camo gear, machete and binox hanging on me.

I was really pretty upbeat and positive I was going to find it. The marsh is SO thick, though. I went into places I never DREAMED I'd wade into. The machete, for the most part, did me little good. The marsh is largely made up of small trees and weeds with trunks/stalks over 1/2" thick. Spaced about 2 inches apart. After about an hour in there, I started to find ways to make faster headway, mostly by moving sideways and using my boots to push brush down where possible, even using my whole body to lean on vegetation to push it down so I could make headway.

It is so thick in there I quite likely could have been 3 feet from the plane and not known it. It was also raining. The previous hour it was coming down in sheets, just pouring. Leave it to me to find the ONLY swamp in the entire western CO desert, and search on a day when it's pouring, which it hardly EVER does.

This dumb little swamp is only a few acres across, but man is it possessive.
It is way difficult to navigate.

I still cannot believe I lost my rig in there. It's just bizarre.

Realization is setting in now, and I'm starting to work on a plan to buy it all back. It'll be a couple of months.

This stinks.
Sep 19, 2004, 05:58 PM
dont give up! at least give AP of the swamp a try. If it were me who lost $700+ in there I would look until i couldn't look anymore! (when is that anyways?) Keep looking further away from where you think it landed. I know you will find it This situation makes me wish I had a pilots license and my own private airplane then I could fly out there and help you find it! that would be neat I could leave in the morning and be back in time for supper
Last edited by Kyle G.; Sep 19, 2004 at 06:01 PM.
Sep 19, 2004, 05:59 PM
getta grip man it's there........lost a zagi over the cliffs which my parntner bought me.(for christmas)...walked for two days(sorry steve but still never found it it) I did try my best..and that was just a $50-00 foam wing.....It's there u just gotta look......I know it sounds bad but,would u walk round for two days for $770-00.......I would

You can do it.......
Ian

Quick Reply